Author Topic: Newbie GT owners questions....  (Read 5057 times)

Offline KMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K11LT, K13GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: lowered footpegs, taller screen (slipscreen), modified handlebars, Voltmeter and USB ports added to dash, working on an canbus sniffer/display
Newbie GT owners questions....
« on: August 05, 2019, 12:52:36 pm »
Hi , Ive had my 2009 k13gt for a year now and some issues have come up so hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction....

Intermittant canbus front and rear light bulb failure warnings as indicated on the rider display: I had a rear bulb warning a few months back, but on restarting the bike warning would not re-appear - until, a week or so later,  it became permanent and then i could actually see one of the rear brake (and tail light) bulbs wasn't on. Now i'm getting intermittent front bulb warnings...but every time i stop and check on the 5 bulbs in the cluster and indicators they appear to be working!!! Is there anything else I should check? the warning only comes on (if at all) at startup time, not when riding - the battery is new and seems to be ok condition.

Centre - stand: Very, very heavy to get the bike up - and it raises the rear wheel a good 20mm off the ground. Ive had a pan-euro, a R1100 and a K1100 before and theyre a doddle compared to the k13 - admittedly the k13 is heavier. Ive only seen 1 fix on a US forum which is to cut and weld the stand reducing the leg length and extending the foot lever length. Any one tried this or got alternative suggestions?

Thanks

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
Re: Newbie GT owners questions....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:08:44 pm »
I'm 6'1" and 14 stones, and also find it hard work putting the K1300 GT on the main stand, especially if it is loaded with luggage. These days though I don't normally use the main stand unless parked overnight or in the garage (and when I need to clean the rear wheel). The reason for this is that a few years ago I had a K1200 RS and whilst at a filling station in France, my boot slipped off the tread - on part of the stand (oil on the forecourt) and, as I was lifting the bike at the same time, I literally threw it on its side!

I could quite happily live with the effort of using the main stand if only the tread part was non - slip!

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 08:46:17 pm »
I am afraid that the K1300GT has a bit of a reputation for being difficult to heave onto the centre stand.I generally leave mine on the side stand when 'out and about' but use the centre stand for the garage, repairs, cleaning and filling up with petrol. A little tip - I always have the side stand out when heaving it onto the centre stand in case it over balances so that I can pull it towards me to prevent any damage. It's a heavy beastie and will cost a fortune if you drop it!

O

Offline KMan

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: lowered footpegs, taller screen (slipscreen), modified handlebars, Voltmeter and USB ports added to dash, working on an canbus sniffer/display
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 11:01:46 pm »
Thanks, i had noticed the footpad on the centrestand being (painfully) small and slippy as well. Ill have a look at grabbing a secondhand stand so i can modify it without devaluing my bike if it all goes wrong..... :D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 06:22:52 am »
There is a bit of a knack to getting it on the centre stand. Put your full weight on the stand, left hand on the bars right hand on the handle and heave in one movement. When out and about I just use the side stand and leave it in first gear.

gibbo

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 08:54:11 am »
And, welcome to the forum. Just stick a small piece of ply under the rear wheel before using the centre stand. Solved my problem.  ;)

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 12:47:18 pm »
my k12gt used to throw rear light errors occasionally. Tracked to the bulb holders, vibration had worn the soft metal on the contacts.

Options are

1. bend the centre contact a bit to make better contact
2. build up the worn contact or bulb with solder
or
3. buy new bulb holders / bubs

They're 21w indicator bulbs the canbus reduces the brightness for tail light use and increases brightness for brake light warning

Front light issues are probably the same
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 11:52:19 am »
That needs to go on dealers pc to erase faults.
Embrace the wind.

Offline KMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 04:19:21 pm »
Thank for the welcome and technique advise, and i'll check out the bulb contacts if the error appears again. I'll try a block under the rear wheel - though pushing it over the block might be a awkward in the garage - there's not much room and I tend to push it in and out. Ive ordered a sherlocks s/h centre stand - to practice some metalwork!

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 03:01:42 pm »
I have a K1200GT and unless they changed the position of the stand on the 13 I have no idea what the fuss is about? step on the stand and push back with the left handlebar and the LH grab rail, there should be no lifting involved.
PS the Pan is heavier  :P

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 03:20:21 pm »
I have a K1200GT and unless they changed the position of the stand on the 13 I have no idea what the fuss is about? step on the stand and push back with the left handlebar and the LH grab rail, there should be no lifting involved.
PS the Pan is heavier  :P
However, getting it on the stand with full luggage and top box is a completely different kettle of fish. Use the side stand in this instance.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 05:50:15 pm »
Talking of stands, does anyone else have difficulty hooking out the side stand on 1300S? My heel doesn't easily catch the little peg. I think I'll have to stick something on the peg.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 06:07:16 pm »
Talking of stands, does anyone else have difficulty hooking out the side stand on 1300S? My heel doesn't easily catch the little peg. I think I'll have to stick something on the peg.

Yes, I hoofed the fairing on my previous K1300S, instead of catching the peg. It offered about the same resistance, until the plastic bust. Oops.
Insensitive feet? Moi?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 10:31:44 pm »

Lots have difficulty. My boot can now find it 7 times out of ten. The other three the bike falls on its side  :(

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 09:37:14 am »

Lots have difficulty. My boot can now find it 7 times out of ten. The other three the bike falls on its side  :(

Haha! I have similar trouble, which is why I always carry a mattress around to lay down before I attempt the side stand.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022