Author Topic: BMW large soft bag  (Read 2316 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
BMW large soft bag
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:26:54 pm »
I bought this bag for £120 in a sale the same day I bought the bike so its done most of 55000 miles with me now. It does come off the bike during the week but has been hauled up and down to my work Monday and Friday for most of 3 years. The bag features in many of the pics on my threads
Its a doddle to fit on, the underseat strap slips under the end of the seat, and taking 4 straps from the dozen or so supplied with the bag, it ties down to the grab handles at the back (theres a little loop for the strap in the grab handle) and the underseat loops at the front. The book says its good for 110 and I have rarely exceeded that with the bag on.

The carrying handles have their own pockets to be zipped into. Theres a shoulder strap too but I hardly ever used that as the bag is a bit bulky to carry like that. The fastener tag has fallen off this one

Although not garishly obvious, there are reflective strips on the sides of the bag which do light up quite well at night. You don't notice at first, its only if you are away from the bike and a car goes past and lights it up with its headlights.
The book also says max 6kg weight but I have totally ignored that one. Usually 10-15 kg I guess and occasionally over 20kg. It easily takes a weeks worth of clothes, shoes, toiletries bag, a bag of tape/cable ties/bulbs/bungees/Gloop/ litre of oil, a bag of chargers wires phone accessories, one piece oversuit, Abus Granit D lock. It'll take a weeks worth of shopping for one. Initially I used the outer and inner sections, but if you cram the inner section you cant get in the outer ones so gave up on that. The outers are also not as waterproof.
Initially completely waterproof but about 6 months ago I noticed the inside was wet. I bought some waterproof stuff bags and put the other bike bits and bobs in plastic bags. I have noticed theres a small rip in the lining now as well

The external zips are not water proof, good effort but wherever the fasteners meet theres a small gap. The first fastener tag came off after maybe 2 years and then one of the fasteners failed not long after.

The protective finish on the base of the case started to come off after about 6 months . I thought this was due to the straps flapping against the base but its actually come off everywhere now. maybe it was the straps and its just unravelled from there.

The top of the bag has a clear plastic compartment, which has now gone yellow in the weather. I have never really used this as I couldn't think of anything that I'd want to see in there only when I got off

So, a fit and forget it unit for say 20000 miles. After that the water starts getting in, and then the bits start to break. I think mine although still looking OK, is on the verge of being dumped as there are too many little problems. It would still be OK in the summer but why would I have 2?
I'll probably buy another one soon if I can find one in a sale. I'm still wanting some panniers but this is a third of the cost and I need new boots and a set of textiles first.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: BMW large soft bag
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 06:51:03 pm »
> The fastener tag has fallen off this one

Same as my tank bag. Obviously a BMW bag weakness. A small cable tie as the tag is the easy solution.
Its also done about 20k miles (well, 25k), and works well, so no complaints other than that.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 07:25:15 pm »
I've told you before, the average mileage for a biker is 4k, so stop bloody riding it! OK?

Oxford Products do much better gear with diver type zips and a lifetime warranty (at the last count...)

Last one I knew of that failed came from Hein Gericke (iirc) and was swapped out on the spot, no questions asked.

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 12:02:38 pm »
I'm on my 2nd pair of BMW ProWinter gloves. Very good for winter use. I had the first pair about 5 years and they were getting tatty. However, I still use them for green lane riding when it's cold. When it's warmer I use Lindstrands, an earlier version of the Aerate. I also use the BMW Rallye Glove.

That said I bout some Gerbing heated gloves last November. They're excellent.
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 09:21:17 am »
I have one of them I am selling for £100 only used three times, will put it in parts for sale. but here are some pics.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:20:40 am by TomK1300s »
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul