Author Topic: Brake woes  (Read 921 times)

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
Re: Brake woes
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2024, 09:24:21 am »
Update,
Fitted the new pads over the weekend, fronts went on no problem, but the rears again didn't want to push out, and were just pulsing in and out with the lever.  The lever seemed to have a lot of travel.  With the below post in my head, I checked the rear reservoir and found the same with the supply hose severely twisted.  I unclipped the reservoir and turned it through 2-3 full turns to untwist the hose.  Now everything is perfect, thanks Chr1s for this little gem!  The rear reservoir is merely held on with a C shaped clip, with nothing to stop it rotating, I would suggest checking yours.

Did the rear brake bleed last night,cap back on the res,tighten it and all is good,go out for a test run this morning doesn’t feel right and then brake warning light comes on  :evil: and I’m thinking Jeeze….just about to phone my other half to bring the van!!! Have a look at rear res see I’d tightened the top too much and it had twisted in the metal clip twisted the rubber brake pipe  :o,twisted res the other way and all’s good….phew
Being grumpy makes me happy

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2024, 10:11:04 am »
We like a story with a nappy ending  :thumbsupgood:

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2024, 10:14:11 am »
There are small serrations on the clip or the plastic reservoir to stop it turning inadvertently in normal use.

If you twist the bottle you can feel and hear the clicks as the serrations move against whatever it is that stops it turning normally. The only way that the thing can turn in the clip is if the top has been butchered on wayyyy too tightly and has twisted the whole shebang as Chris admitted he had done.

One wonders if the dealers just let the apprentice do the job. For those of us who still use the dealers it is yet another thing to check before we blithely ride off into the sunset...  :o

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2024, 03:30:12 pm »
I put a Rekluse left hand rear brake kit on my CRF and that was the only way I could get the air out of the line from the lever down to the rear master cylinder.

Flash git  ;D

I couldn't justify the expense on my Rally so tried, in vain, to fabricate my own out of bits of bicycle levers and cables but gave up because there was insufficient room on the bars to have a second lever. I have reduced sensitivity in my right foot so really liked the idea of the Rekluse kit.

It's got a Rekluse clutch as well, so it doesn't matter that the clutch lever is in a slightly odd position to accommodate the extra brake lever.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2024, 09:38:46 pm »
Nice set up. The problem with the Rally is that there is no spare room on the bars and what there is is in the wrong place for a rear brake lever.