Author Topic: Daily Commute : Bike Preparation  (Read 9236 times)

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
Daily Commute : Bike Preparation
« on: March 16, 2020, 08:34:21 am »
Hi all,

Am just about to move house and that means I will be doing a daily short hop to the station on my K13R.

Have invested in a top box (I know!) and cover, plus some waterproofs etc...

...the question I have is what particular preparations I should make to the bike... both in terms of fettling and also corrosion protection - my front hub is spotless, my rear has a little bit of bubbling... am wondering if there's a product you would recommend to apply to those and other vulnerable areas to minimise the spread of the plague.

May as well also ask for great cleaning products - currently I mostly use Vulcanet wipes but expect I will need something more heavy duty when I use daily but clean weekly...

Thanks in advance all!!
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Daily Commute : Bike Preparation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 08:46:42 am »
ACF 50 put it on and leave it until the better weather then wash it off.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 08:52:11 am »
Thanks Rae - ACF50 was the thing I was expecting would crop up - should that go for hubs and the swing arm...? Any other particular areas...?
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 10:54:01 am »
I have commuted from Suffolk to the South Bank for 7 months a year for the last 7 years. Once a year I get my bikes professionally coated with ACF50 through All Weather Biker and follow the advice to wash it rarely and let the ACF50 do it's job. (That's pretty easy advice to follow!)

Both my K1300Ss did 3 years/50K+ miles and still looked like new (excluding the "corrode from the inside" paint BMW apply to various components like the final drive!)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 02:15:44 pm »
Definitely ACF50! All Weather Biker did a great job on my K12S which sat out on the drive under an Oxford and various other covers down the years. It wasn't used to commute but got used all year round as and when the fancy took me.

I actually took all the panels off before taking it along to a public treatment session but the guys had really long lances to get into the engine bay and all points south and I needn't have bothered.

If you do it yourself then make sure you cover your tyres with sheets or take the wheels off; there's a vid on Utube of a guy slathering it all over his GS and then riding off with the tyres smothered in the stuff. I guess he survived as he posted the vid but I'd be more cautious   8)

Oh, and make sure you have a decent security set up...

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 08:17:07 am »
Fab - there's an All Weather Biker down the road from me so it's booked in there for Saturday.

Security wise - I have a mahoosive chain; 2 mega-locks and a cover; plus it's got Datatag... so that should do the job methinks... unless there's any other particular things I should have...?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 08:49:16 am »
I'd only add to google or youtube your chain and see if it's easily done in.

As per possibly the trip thread there's Almax and the one I've forgotten again... oh I have the tab open still, Pragmasis. And only at certain diameter links.

Do you know what you'll be locking it to? There's a bunch of info about chain placement, avoiding laying it on the ground etc.

Disc lock with alarm maybe? Not that mine did much!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 12:50:54 pm »
C'mon Matt, it's a K13S, no one wants to steal that. Yours was an S1000 and everyone wants one of those  8)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 12:58:22 pm »
C'mon Matt, it's a K13S, no one wants to steal that. Yours was an S1000 and everyone wants one of those  8)

Haha I know :(

8 years of K ownership, nothing. 3 weeks of S ownership... something :(.

Let us see how R goes.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 06:01:13 pm »
A bloke who lives over the road from Swimbo in west Swindon leaves his GS out on the street or taking up one of two car parking spaces, day in, day out and has done for years with no cover, no lock and not even the alarm set.

It is still there.

Unfortunately

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 02:04:46 pm »
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 04:17:03 pm »
8 years of K ownership, nothing. 3 weeks of S ownership... something :(.

Let us see how R goes.

Just make it look like an old 70s bike. Oh.