Author Topic: K1300S or K1300R?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1300S or K1300R?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 06:10:54 pm »
One wonders whether the cooling system was 'properly' vacuum filled. Apart from cylinder head destruction, I don't know if it affects the overall cooling system if not done right.

Offline Jcdenton999

• Newbie around here, just bought my K
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300S (Akra, ESA, ABS)
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 05:58:59 pm »
I mean it wasn't that bad, i must have had the dreaded hot start / can't restart problem 3 times over 3 years but it's enough to make you think twice before stopping for petrol on a hot day and with global warming I need to stay ahead of the game  ;)

compared to all the bikes I have had the 1300S had the big temperature delta between driving even in town and stationary at a red light. I htink the recline engine with the exhaust under in the fairing has a tendency to trap heat that normal in line 4 don't

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 11:06:32 pm »
Have you checked the thermostat?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Jcdenton999

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2023, 12:49:31 pm »
When buying how can you check if the hot start fix has been done? does it appear on invoicing anywhere?

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2023, 12:59:09 pm »
I spent 6 years - 3 on a K1300S Sport and 3 on a K1300S MotorSport - commuting from Suffolk through London to the South Bank, so lots of town work. Both my bikes needed replacement radiators (done under warranty) at just under two years/35k miles but, aside from the last month before the radiators were replaced, had no over heating issues. Both bikes also did town work on the Old Gits trips to Italy, South of France, Northern Spain, where temperatures hit high 30's but again, had no overheating issues.

I think your K1300S had issues if you found it overheating in town when a new rad had been fitted.

ETA

Your bike MUST have had other issues given the the test the BMW dealers use to check for overheating is while the bike is at a standstill. They let the bike get hot enough for the fan to come on then time how long it takes for the temperature to drop enough for the fan to go off.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2023, 06:05:10 pm »
When buying how can you check if the hot start fix has been done? does it appear on invoicing anywhere?

Ask if you can remove the batttery cover from the top of the tank.
You'll need a Torx T25 key, and it will take all of 2 minutes.

You'll see extra wiring in there - you're looking for TWO red leads from the positive terminal. Or not.

And from the official fitting instructions:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 06:11:57 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2023, 06:22:25 pm »
Aha good old BMW.

I'm just now watching the Tesla Investor Day broadcast from a fortnight ago. One of the many things mentioned is they're moving to a 48v architecture instead of the old 12v stuff. Lower currents, thinner and lighter wiring, and other stuff I forget from my GCSEs.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Jcdenton999

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2023, 11:55:20 am »
Thanks richtea, I think my old K1300S didn't have that extra wiring which may explains a lot  :P

Offline Jcdenton999

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2023, 11:23:14 am »
So I got myself a K1300R ( will post a pic when i remember how to upload photos on this forum)

To answer other people in case they are curious on the difference between the S and the R:

- Ergonomics/driving position is pretty much the same, yes the R's bar are a bit higher but it's not that marked and the R isn't as up as most naked bike are , it remains more sports touring. 5 years laters, I am getting older though, the forward position is less comfortable than I remembered, need to work on my core as not used to so much weight on the wrists
- Gearing is def short on the R, you notice it on the motorway where it feels like 6th should be a big longer but the plus side is that in town you can go down to very low speed without needing to change gear ( which the S can already do to an extend) and you are more often in the power band
- Protection is less on the motorway but again way better than most naked bike or for example my R1200R. it's easy to drive at 70mph, i don't have to hold on to the bar like more traditional naked bike
- Driving: it feels easier to flick from side to side potentially due to more leverage, slightly narrower tyre and less weight. I had Pirelli GT vs Michelin PR5 now but dont think the tyres would make such an effect

So overall it's very very similar, for my mostly town usage the R works a bit better for me than the S as I am happy to trade less protection for easier to flick and shorter gearing.

Now comparing to my LC R1200R, I am still amazed at how much more power the K has, the R just doesnt have the same feeling of being powered by some kind of fighter jet engine whilst being way more docile at low RPM. However the R is much easier to flick around and surprisingly more comfortable: the K has a better seat but the ESA isnt quite as good and it doesn't soak up bump as well as the R. Fuel efficiency is also a lot better on the R compared to the K

Overall happy to be back on a K although it's reminding me on a daily basis that I am not as fit and young as I was 5 years ago  ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2023, 01:11:07 pm »
Congratulations on your purchase and I'm looking forward to the pictures. It's been a long time since I sat on a K1?00R but as I remember it, the bars are wider which is probable why it feels easier to flick from side to side.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2023, 01:12:26 pm »
Well done for plumping for one!

Now comparing to my LC R1200R, I am still amazed at how much more power the K has, the R just doesnt have the same feeling of being powered by some kind of fighter jet engine whilst being way more docile at low RPM.

Ah! That's why I like them too. Jekyll and Hyde.

However the R is much easier to flick around and surprisingly more comfortable: the K has a better seat but the ESA isnt quite as good and it doesn't soak up bump as well as the R. Fuel efficiency is also a lot better on the R compared to the K

Assuming R = boxer...
Agreed on the suspension. Three things I like about modern BMWs compared to the K:
- superior suspension - and Dynamic is a real bonus
- cornering ABS (though I've never tried it for real, obvs)
- big fat TFT dash

The keyless fluffery, the upright position, the crash bars, the tin box panniers, the bland chugging - narp, not for me.
Yet.
Although the R1250RS does seem to have the same pannier mounting points as a K.

Offline Jcdenton999

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2023, 01:57:00 pm »
Agreed Richtea, I liked my R1200R but ultimately it was too easy, I didn't bond with it as much. The gearbox didn't feel like it came from a tank either on the R1200 unlike the K  8)

on the K you feel like it's a proper machine you have to tame and not an easy machine that doesnt take much focus to drive... I will probably go back to one when I can't take the K position anymore

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2023, 10:49:40 am »
Personally I wouldn't have a powerful bike without wind protection. Without it you would struggle to maintain decent motorway speeds on longer runs. An average family car will do it better unless you have arms and a neck like King Kong. It becomes a test of endurance. I did despatch riding in the early 90s on a CX500 and also went to Frankfurt and back over a bank holiday weekend on an SRX 600 and that made me realise the importance of wind and weather protection. Each to their own though, I would rather have a powerful naked bike than no bike.
Watchin you Focker

Offline Jcdenton999

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2023, 04:59:44 pm »
Personally I wouldn't have a powerful bike without wind protection. Without it you would struggle to maintain decent motorway speeds on longer runs. An average family car will do it better unless you have arms and a neck like King Kong. It becomes a test of endurance. I did despatch riding in the early 90s on a CX500 and also went to Frankfurt and back over a bank holiday weekend on an SRX 600 and that made me realise the importance of wind and weather protection. Each to their own though, I would rather have a powerful naked bike than no bike.

I get your point, however there is naked bike and Naked bike. On a R1200R or an R-nine-T you have to hold on to the bars quite strongly at 70mph and it's not that comfortable.
On the K1300R, you have pretty much the same riding position as the K1300S which is leaned forward and beteen the tank and the screen you dont have to hold on for dear life, it's quite comfortable so long as you have a good helmet.

I am 6ft3 so the K1300S OEM screen only protected up to my pecs so I still get a lot of wind on my upper chest and head ... not a huge difference

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2023, 05:34:20 pm »
With Warwickshire and many other councils applying 50MPH speed limits all over the place, despite police objections in many cases, having an unfaired bike does make sense. 50 on a faired bike can get dull very quickly, so it's easier to behave on an unfaired one.

Of course, you really need several of both though.