Author Topic: GS 911 and brakes  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Re: GS 911 and brakes
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2023, 01:03:36 pm »
The Motorsport has a different style of brake pedal. A round knurled one. I guess it would be relatively simple for an engineering workshop to make an extension, but I'm  so used to it and it isn't a problem, I'll leave it be.
I am surprised though that there don't seem to be any extensions for sale for the Motorsport type, but there are for the flat pedal type.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2023, 01:43:21 pm »
I never really liked the MotorSport (HP pegs) brake leaver but I quickly got used to it. Whatever you do, don't lose the little knurled end. I did on the gear selector side and the BMW parts catalogue says the whole HP footpeg, mounting plate etc. needed to be replaced!  :o
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2023, 09:34:13 pm »
Just some steep hill starts for me, the rest of the time I rely on the hand lever, thank you linked brakes. Reason is it's difficult for me to get my foot in line enough to get onto the rear brake lever. Maybe if there were rear brake lever extensions available.....?

There are! And some lovely chap from Swindon gave me his because he didn't use it and I fitted it to my bike and some (long) time later whilst washing the bike I noticed it was long gone. So, even with the extension I still couldn't use the damn pedal properly and never even noticed it was AWOL whilst riding.

What I need is a left hand rear brake lever. They are available for off-road bikes but not mine and I 'almost' managed to make one using bicycle bits and bobs but ran out of room on the bars to mount it properly. If it's good enough for bicyclists, it should be good enough for me. And perhaps you...

Is getting the local engineering shop to make up a new rear brake lever in a design that fits your foot not an easier approach?

With the existing lever as a template, I assume all they need to do is move/enlarge the footpad.

The problem for me is not the placement of the pedal or the accessibility for the foot, but rather the lack of ability to depress the pedal due to a childhood accident. Add a goodly dose of peripheral neuropathy in both feet and the front brake is the tool of choice. The left foot isn't a problem as it requires no 'feel', just a good kick up or down.

The Rekluse was out of my price range for the CRF250 Rally and it was the cable type of rear brake assist I was going for. I have the lever off a mountain bike and the cables and even a bracket to extend the pedal but simply ran out of room on the bars to mount the damn lever. Anyway, the bike is for sale now so it is yet another abandoned project cluttering up the shed.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2023, 01:43:55 pm »
Hello guys, out again Sunday, 150 mls and not a sign of the warning light ! so I hope it's cleared itself although the roads were shitty so probably spent more time watching the road.

Im sorry to have caused a bit of a discussion over the rear brake, I don't cover the back brake usually, no mobility issues and comfy all day on the balls of my feet. there was no ABS or linked brake on the Blades we had , wouldn't have made much difference as the back was usually in the air.

I still can't find out what triggers the brake warning light.
Best regards  Mick
No problems only Solutions