Author Topic: BMW Service plans  (Read 1439 times)

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
BMW Service plans
« on: April 16, 2023, 10:27:05 pm »
Not sure why I never looked at these before, as they seem pretty good value. The 3 year / 18k miles one for the K16 was £770, which seems pretty good considering the 600 mile first service would be £245 on its own. Maybe there's another catch, apart from having to pay upfront? For bikes with 4 cylinder engines it's £720, so I would have considered getting one for my K13 too if it wasn't just over the 10 year age limit.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: BMW Service plans
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 07:18:58 am »
Looking at the BMW used approved bikes I'd say the catch is most people buy their bikes and don't ride them :D. If one got to the valve clearance service then I imagine there's proper savings.

But I'm half asleep so this might all be a dream.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 08:11:36 am »
:D

When I was commuting I'd have needed one a year, but it still would have been good value!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 09:09:36 pm »
Wish I'd heard of these before. I think the k12 got serviced 3 times one year. Its a tadge over the 10 year age limit now...

However the K13 drops into the age bracket. Can you post a link to the relevant web page please.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 08:38:54 am »
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/service/service-inclusive.html I was told it does include valve checks if they are due, but based on mileage.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 08:55:22 am by andym2 »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 01:55:58 pm »
That looks good.

I particularly like this line in the Ts & Cs:
7. BMW Motorrad Service Inclusive is transferable to subsequent owners of the motorcycle but is not transferable to another vehicle.

You commit to a 5 year package, but sell the bike after 3 years, so you can still pass on the remaining two years servicing.
That's quite a sweetener to the next owner - at a cost admittedly, but not a complete loss.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 06:01:06 pm »
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/service/service-inclusive.html I was told it does include valve checks if they are due, but based on mileage.

Thanks. I'll have to talk to ocean about "modifications" eg change the exhaust.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 05:35:55 pm »
North Oxford, who are normally on the ball when it comes to things K-related, were not sure whether I could buy the plan for a 7 year old bike that wasn't purchased from them, so they went off to investigate.

They came back today, and it turns out you can. It's obviously not something they push.
The only additional info they need off you is the exact mileage when you take the plan out.

Optimist that I am :o, I've opted for 5 years/30k miles which takes me, or the next owner, to 55k miles.
I picked 5 years because I'm about to do about a 4-5k mile stint in the next 2 months, so that means 2 services in quick succession, which would be in the region of two lots of £300 anyway.

The 5 year option comes out at £208 per service * 5 services - cheaper than (almost?) all services I can recall in the past 6 years.

If you know you're going to keep your bike for several years, I can't see any disadvantage other than tying your money up, which you've already done by buying the bike in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 05:38:23 pm by richtea »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 06:09:39 pm »
Interesting thread by the fact here I am in the UK’s second city and years after Clark’s who were on top of the Lickie hills closed we still do not have a Motorrad dealer,up to now I’ve managed to avoid any hassle by spreading any mileage between 6 bikes and doing basic servicing myself and I’ve a couple of mates who operated out of a garden shed,but the problem is coming.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 07:15:59 pm »
Isn't there a Motorrad dealership at Rybrook in Wolverhampton? They've got a mechanic in Warwick now, he did the 600 mile service on my K16.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 08:25:36 pm »
They do but by no stretch of the imagination is that Birmingham,they also have a place at Shrewsbury what I find interesting is having had a fair bit to do with the trade and press, UK can best be discribed as a bunch of thugs hence why I’m surprised they haven’t pressed ganged BMW Solihull to open a Motorrad option, but due to the fact that Clark’s just got totally pissed off with UK after they tried to ‘Strong Arm’ them and just walked away maybe they are working on their PR side 😄

So for me it’s work in progress…the KTM GT that I aquired a few years ago gets chucked into the back of a van and go’s to Redline KTM at Loughborough and currently have no complaints.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 10:28:06 am »
I'm from Dorset so basically think West Midlands == Birmingham. Wife, from Solihull, tells me I'm wrong and Solihull is not in Birmingham. It also turns out that there are a load of other things that aren't in Birmingham that I thought would be... The NEC, Birmingham Airport, Birmingham International Rail station. Then there's Sandwell that isn't even a place.. I spent ages trying to find it when I had to go to the Sandwell Office for work.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 02:57:06 pm »
Wait, one set of my grand parents lived in Sandwell I thought. Was that all a dream?!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2023, 04:26:44 pm »
Not sure about ‘Dream’….but certainly comes with a speech impediment  :D

What I find just as interesting is the lack of independent BM service places as UK appear to have little interest.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2023, 09:32:18 am »
... I'd say the catch is most people buy their bikes and don't ride them ...

I got a three year package thrown in free with my last K1600GT as I planned to be all over Europe for a few years. Then I got caught up in the Gearbox recall that kept it off the road for a few months, and then Covid hit us. Sold the bike after 3 years with just 4,700 mile on it  :-\