Author Topic: A New Outfit Request  (Read 793 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
A New Outfit Request
« on: March 14, 2023, 11:15:15 am »
Well it's that time of year again. March.

In September 2016 I went to Motolegends and swapped (with lots of money) my baggy Hein Gericke textile suit (from around 2010, and that chap in a cap fella was most amused by my 'look' in it) for a Halvarssons Prince textile getup. As that was/will be almost 7 years ago, though only half of those years had a daily commute, I'm now contemplating an upgrade/replacement again. The drivers:

1. Boredom
2. Realising they can't handle the big rain anymore (even after re-waterproofing washes etc) I've come to carrying the lightweight "oh bugger it's raining" top and bottom to throw on, just like the Leather Boys (tm).
3. I no longer - and praise Jesus won't be again - commute daily, plus I have a car.
4. Realising things have moved on a bit, protection wise.
5. Deciding I'm wearing my current outfit for my Wales BMW off-road weekend in May, and have resigned myself to either a broken leg or a ruined suit.

Those justifications aren't necessarily in order.

Having watched the Bennetts Bike Social interview with BKS again and then re-reading our thread that went towards BKS, they seem to be winning in my brain.

I'm moving towards their leather suit given it still appears to offer the most protection, and given my above statement re no daily commute, it's more aligned to my nice rides and big trips usage type these days.

I have my armoured Hood jeans (and the Rokkers that apparently aren't all that anymore) and various jackets for rides to pubs/the dentist etc, so the only real drive towards getting a BKS textile would be for the risk of having to get a real job again.

I'm pretty sure there's no bad decision here, but if you got this far well done. Here's the request:

BKS still have an entry price of £2,500 ish, which I want us all to acknowledge is pretty great considering the inflation etc lately! Are there any other UK-based if not incorporated companies that similarly make highly regarded made to measure suits, in textile or leather?

From watching 44Teeth ages ago I recall them getting sponsored by RST and going there for similar but very much cheaper bespoke leathers. Much like Peugeots I have an irrational dislike of RST due to owning a cheap rubbish set as my first ever gear.

Right. Now I've pumped up the tyres and noticed I've no fuel so am about to nip out for petrol and then the dentist, wish me luck.

Any suggestions? Or shall I book a romantic weekend down BKS way?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: A New Outfit Request
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 11:20:48 am »
I bought a BKS suit in 1996. I bought a replacement in 2016 (original shrunk!!!). Guess what I'd suggest?  ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 12:23:18 pm »
I bought a BKS suit in 1996. I bought a replacement in 2016 (original shrunk!!!). Guess what I'd suggest?  ;)

Not washing them at 60c? :p

Speaking of temperature, I forgot how cold my garage waa/is. Added the required 3psi to both and in no time on the ride they were almost the same too high. I need to remember how accurate my ktm sensors are but I don't think they were that far out. 1 at most. 9c here briefly!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 12:31:49 pm »
I believe Hideout Leathers make textile suits but my choice would be BKS. I've been thinking about it myself.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 12:59:03 pm »
You can't go wrong with BKS, but it's a bit spennie - as youth would say.

Having been to Hideout for repairs to my Crowtree leathers a few weeks ago I'd personally go there for a new set, and keep the grand spare I'd have for a hol.
Leather with airbag built in = max protection but probably not max convenience. That would be my choice if buying new. But then again I haven't quite come round to buying a Helite, so who would trust me?

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 04:07:30 pm »
2,500... hmm can't help, i'm not in the same league.
comfortable, looks decent, full armour and waterproof, thats probably my checklist, though i'm not adverse to waterproof spray.
without counting my helmet i can get kitted out for about a grand, probably a bit less with my charm and puppy dog eyes.
the only brand i'm partially loyal to is bmw when it comes to gloves, i have others but their gloves just fit nicely.
on the other hand if your heart is set on something and you go for something else, you may always have a regret in the back of your mind.
your money, your call.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 05:15:40 pm »
I would regard £2500 as a starting price with BKS, the guy that did the Bennetts review spent close to 4 by the time he added extra vents and other bits n bobs.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 08:08:17 pm »
If you have a 10 Bob head...

I have, but still spent a shed load of money with Halvarssons on a Safety jacket and various outers, flours, vented etc...

Were I to go for leather again it would have to be two-piece, again. I can't stand the trussed-up chicken thing (the boil in the bag thing is bad enough). No one ever said to me 'you don't sweat much for a fat lass do you?' and I need to half undress at slightest and shortest stop unless it is to don waterproofs. Two piece of course.

So, don't buy a single piece unless you are a matchstick man who doesn't sweat. Oh, sorry, we're talking about Matt here so single piece it is then.

Just saying...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 08:41:05 pm »
Thanks chaps for your thoughts.

Brian: oh 2 piece always! Until I start my belated MotoGP career and am forced.

Rae: ack good point re final price, I'd forgotten that part!

Farmer: yeah I'm still quite open to ideas, which brings me to:

Richard! Hideout! I'd forgotten about them too. I'm glad you found them reassuring. I'm having a look at their customisation widget at the moment.

I forgot another consideration: At the back of my mind I'm waiting for the release of the new GS. I imagine this will result in either my first brand new bike purchase OR going and getting one of what David has instead. Either way: spendy spendy time. So don't let me get carried away!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 11:25:12 pm »
Richard! Hideout! I'd forgotten about them too. I'm glad you found them reassuring. I'm having a look at their customisation widget at the moment.

Ride over and smell the place. You'll be hooked, I promise. They're happy to talk you through it - no hard sell, just sense.
It's in north Essex (Saffron Walden virtually).

I think their top of the range is about £2500, but you can still do very well for £2k.
I had replacement Kevlar stretch panels, zips, complete new set of top-end D3O armour, extra pockets added, vents added, and a bit leather refurbing - for £800.

Since I spend about £500-600 on a helmet every 6 years, £800 on refurbing leathers for say another 6-10 years is reasonable value in my book.
And they fit too - what luck.  ::)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 11:15:35 am »
Hideout also do a textile made to measure option.  :winkthumbs: