Author Topic: Review: The BMW Story: Second Edition  (Read 598 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Review: The BMW Story: Second Edition
« on: February 09, 2023, 03:20:50 pm »
This is a hardback book by Ian Falloon, published by Veloce in 2019, 288 pages, RRP £40!, that found it's way into my birthday pile.

'This new edition of Ian Falloon’s classic book on the history of BMW Motorcycles brings the story right up to date, and now includes all models from 1923 right through to 2019.'

It covers the all BMW bikes from the first 1923 up to the 2019 models.

TLDR:
Written in 2003 and updated very lazily in 2019, this offers very little to the modern K owner, but it's good for general BMW history. Then it falls apart somewhat. The first 7 chapters are the original book, well structured and one is even on K-Series. That is - K-Series up to 2003. Wait, what?!

The last two chapters are just a chronological race through the bikes released from 2003 - 2019. Not seprated into model type, engine, cusotm, touring, etc. Just chrono.

One and a quarter pages on the K1300 models, so don't be fooled by that 'The K-Series' chapter heading.
One and a half pages on the K1600 models.

Don't bother. Really. Amazon will sell you one at £16.99, but that's over the odds. If you want the history, buy the first edition.

In detail:

Pros:
- good history of BMW up to 2003
- nice (but standard BMW Group) picture of the Boxer Cup K1200R in full swing

Cons:
- the rest

Footnote:
I think I've been spoiled by Laverda books, which are (were) usually top quality in documenting the highs and lows, all the wrinkles, digging out some of the more unusual prototypes, etc. But then again Laverda didn't have a slick corporation to run.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Review: The BMW Story: Second Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 09:20:30 pm »
Methinks you really ought to have words with your very generous birthday gifter(s)...

I think that lazy journalism (writing?) is rife at the moment.

It would be interesting to ask ChatGPT to produce a book on the history of BMW motorcycles and see what it came up with. It couldn't be much worse and might be a great work...come to think of it......

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 11:25:06 pm »
It would be interesting to ask ChatGPT to produce a book on the history of BMW motorcycles and see what it came up with. It couldn't be much worse and might be a great work...come to think of it......

And chatGPT said:

The BMW K series is a family of inline-four engine motorcycles produced by the German motorcycle manufacturer BMW Motorrad. It was introduced in 1983 and has been used in a variety of BMW motorcycle models over the years.

The K series engines were designed to be compact and lightweight, with a stress on reliability and ease of maintenance. They were originally designed for use in BMW's mid-sized motorcycle models, and over time they have been used in a variety of different models and displacements, ranging from 400 cc to 1,600 cc.

The first K series engine was the K100, which was introduced in 1983 and used in the BMW K100, K75, and K1100 models. The K100 was notable for its smooth, vibration-free operation and its reliability, and it quickly became popular among BMW riders.

In the 1990s, BMW introduced the K1200 engine, which was used in several models, including the K1200RS and K1200LT. This engine was notable for its high performance and advanced technology, including electronic fuel injection and electronic throttle control.

In the 2000s, BMW introduced the K1300 engine, which was used in the K1300S, K1300R, and K1300GT models. This engine was known for its powerful performance and high-tech features, including electronic suspension control and a smooth, responsive throttle.

Today, the BMW K series continues to be used in several BMW motorcycle models, and it remains one of the most popular and respected engine families in the BMW lineup. It is known for its reliability, performance, and advanced technology, and it continues to be a favourite among BMW riders around the
world.

[my follow-up question]
What problems did BMW K series engines have?

Like all complex mechanical systems, the BMW K series engines have had a few issues and problems over the years. However, it is important to note that these issues have been relatively few and far between, and the BMW K series has generally been considered to be a reliable and well-designed engine family.

Some of the common problems that have been reported with the BMW K series engines include:

Oil leaks: Some owners have reported oil leaks from the engine or oil cooler, which can lead to engine damage and reduced oil levels.

Engine vibration: Some owners have reported excessive engine vibration, particularly at higher RPMs, which can be uncomfortable for some riders.

Valve adjustment: The BMW K series engines use hydraulic valve adjusters, which can sometimes become clogged and need to be replaced. This can be a time-consuming and expensive repair.

Fuel injection problems: Some owners have reported issues with the electronic fuel injection system, including stalling, rough running, and misfires.

It is worth noting that these problems are relatively rare, and most BMW K series owners do not experience any significant issues with their engines. However, as with any motorcycle, regular maintenance and proper use can help prevent problems and ensure long-term reliability. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and to have any issues addressed by a qualified mechanic as soon as they arise.

Only one glaring error - 400 cc.
And some fluffy BS when it comes to problems. No mention of radiator, ball joints, switchgear, clutches.

Interesting, but not exactly 'full' information. You can ask more follow-up questions though.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 07:30:24 am »
Great to see that chatGPT can write inaccurate generalised bullsh1t just like a real journalist! :D

I'd also suggest Rich that the bit about the development of the 1200 confuses the 1200 brick engine with features of the K1200S/R engine.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 10:19:27 am »
I'd also suggest Rich that the bit about the development of the 1200 confuses the 1200 brick engine with features of the K1200S/R engine.
Quite right! I missed that.

The cosy veneer of appearing to be knowedgeable* can make folk overlook the facts.

*That may sum up my professional life.  :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:12:54 am by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 09:40:19 pm »
Some of us got away with it right up to retirement...

I have actually seen worse bullshit written about the BM K so top marks to ChatGPT for a first (and second) effort.