Author Topic: Places to Visit - Bugatti Trust  (Read 820 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Places to Visit - Bugatti Trust
« on: July 15, 2022, 11:34:57 am »
We don't have a 'Places to Visit' section (come on Admins - sort it out!), but I can recommend setting aside an hour to visit the Bugatti Trust:
http://www.bugatti-trust.co.uk/

It's only 1.5 rooms, but 13 of us block-booked a talk (~£10 a head), and it was really interesting even though I'm no car enthusiast.
Right now, on show just for the summer are Bugatti No 1 (a three wheeler) and a gorgeous Atlantic - one of just four, and the embodiment of the 30s. I didn't dare ask the value but it will be more than my house, your house, the museum, and then add your street, all put together.

The Trust is at the bottom of Prescott Hill Climb, just above Cheltenham, which is owned by the Bugatti Club (not the Trust). The Hill, not Cheltenham. That's owned by GCHQ. ::) If you ask nicely, they'll let you walk up to the first bend, and have a look around that too. The roads around are a good ride, it being the Cotswolds.

Bugatti No 1:

Bugatti Atlantic:

The attention to detail when manufacturing was impressive. One example of many in the museum:
- those famous aluminium wheels. They're not just pretty, they're designed to get the hot air off the brakes, and that's done by gently angling the spokes/fins so the wheels acts like a fan sucking the air across the brakes. Damned clever:

Stripped racer:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 11:55:09 am by richtea »

Online andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
Re: Places to Visit - Bugatti Trust
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 12:55:25 pm »
So, the wheel fan things... is it better to a) blow the air inwards towards the brakes, b) blow the air outwards away from the brakes or c) it makes no difference.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 01:03:43 pm »
I've visited the Schlumf Museum in Mulhouse and very impressive it was too.

This museum was taken from Herr Schlumf in payment for taxes and became the National Motor Museum of France.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 01:23:34 pm »
> So, the wheel fan things... is it better to a) blow the air inwards towards the brakes, b) blow the air outwards away from the brakes or c) it makes no difference.

Good question. My first thought was that you need two different wheels cast if you want an equal effect on both sides of the car: one for the left side, one for the right side wheels. Otherwise one side is suck, and one side is blow. I forgot to look for L & R marks (en Francais).

You're going to have to visit and ask!

One thing I didn't realise - they were the first ever aluminium cast wheels, in 1924.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 05:56:14 pm »
Had a very pleasant visit to Donington Park today for the WSB’s, the way the bikes run up through the gearbox 😳😳😳