Author Topic: 5 bikes, 5 countries, 24 Alps passes, 2800 miles and 9 days  (Read 3727 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
5 bikes, 5 countries, 24 Alps passes, 2800 miles and 9 days
« on: September 22, 2021, 04:52:35 pm »
A good friend of mine, Mark, is from Australia and, after over 11 years in the UK, is planned to return to Aus, for good. He has, in the past borrowed both my Aprilia Futura and then my K1200S to join in on the Old Gits trips, enjoying them so much, he actually bought his own K1300S MotorSport.

As he well be returning to a land where great mountain roads are best described as "in short supply", and where speed enforcement is both enthusiastic and rigorous, a small group of Old Gits though we'd give him a final Euro-tour he'd remember.

The full route is defined here: https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/5142831?mode=share  but the image for the back of the trip tee shirts we had made up says it al:

So, on Friday 10th Sept, we set off on the tunnel.

stopping overnight in Bethune (bikes tucked up safely at the hotel):

before we did a 500 mile across France and into Germany on Saturday. The Autobahns were fun: :D

Sunday was through Austria and into Italy. The sun shining all the way.

with some serious fun being had.

Monday was Italy then into Switzerland via a number of passes including Stelvio

Mark

Roger

James

Steve

Me

Tuesday had Mark and I looking for somewhere to fit a new tyre to his bike (forward planning it wasn't!!!) before heading back into Italy

Wednesday morning in Aosta and, for the first time on the trip, it was raining, and raining quite hard. The weather slightly reduced the fun as we ran over into France then started down the Route des Grande Alpes.

However, the rain eased towards the end of the day and the final run of the day up the Col de l'izoard was done at significant pace in the company of a Lotus Exige 380 Sport. :D For those that don't know, it's 1100kg, 375bhp and f**king quick! He had me on the slightly damp bends but I pulled him back on the short straights. Very childish, but great fun. We both stopped at the top of the Col and thanked each other for a good ride/drive. I'm not sure his passenger enjoyed it quite as much as he did!

That night we were witness to a fantastic lightening show with accompanying thunderous rain.

Thursday was again wet (rain and waterproofs tend reduce both the opportunities and the interest in taking pictures but I did manage to get one at the very top of the Col de Bonnette

before we headed down for the Med coast and our overnight stop. As it happens, once we'd parked the bikes ad checked into the hotel, the rain stopped and the sun came out!

Friday was a ride up the Route Napoleon. The sun was back and it was warm and dry again.

With another change to have some fun

A stop for lunch in Gap had us reminiscing over previous Old Gits trips

Saturday arrived and it was time to think about heading for home, but not before some more fun and stunning roads

Sunday morning was dry again as we did our 200 mile dash to the ferry

Then the run home

It was a superb trip, enjoyed by all but, most importantly, enjoyed by Mark.

:winkthumbs:
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: 5 bikes, 5 countries, 24 Alps passes, 2800 miles and 9 days
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 05:52:24 pm »
Looks like great fun was had by all.

Shame that Mark has returned to Oz. He'll miss the roads.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 06:01:47 pm »
As someone who averages 3 Euro trips a year for the last 40 odd years and have done nothing since Covid started i’ll Avoid the Pro’s and Con’s, but the photo of the Gr St Bernard made me smile, having been god knows how many times, one year decided to hotel it at the top, just around the corner of the photo on the right not sure who suffered the most us from lack sleep with little oxygen or the bike which didn’t want to start the following morning.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 06:18:07 pm »
Ah yay! I enjoyed this thread on PH, but this time I've noticed the Bethune hotel picture. Would you be so kind as to name the hotel please David? I'm putting together a big old map of routes and fancy ass and/or secure hotels and the first leg is where I have the least options so far.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 06:26:08 pm »
From the PH thread ...

These are the hotels we stayed in and are on the route plans.

||=Town=||=Country=||=Hotel=||=Comments=||=Would we book again?=||
||Bethune||France||Hotel Eden||Nice hotel, friendly staff. Recommended.||Yes||
||Bad Saulgau||Germany||Hotel Ochsen||Decent hotel, friendly staff. Recommended.||Yes||
||Madonna di Campiglio||Italy||Style Grifone||Nice hotel, friendly staff. Parking difficult.||Probably||
||Laax||Switzerland||Hotel-Gasthof Seehof Laax||OK hotel. Quite run down. Expensive. ||No||
||Aosta||Italy||HB Aosta Hotel & Balcony SPA||Very nice hotel but expensive.||Yes||
||Baratier||France||Hotel-Restaurant Spa Les Peupliers||Nice hotel, friendly staff. Recommended.||Yes||
||Cagnes-sur-Mer||France||La Villa des Oliviers HOTEL DE CHARME||Nice hotel but expensive.||Possibly||
||La Léchère||France||Hotel Radiana||OK hotel but a little run down and expensive.||Possibly||
||Châlons-en-Champagne ||France||B&B Hôtel Châlons-en-Champagne||Clean, comfortable and very good value.||Yes||

As you would expect, there were good and bad. Our main criteria were:

Clean, comfortable bed, good shower.

Everything beyond that was a bonus. Only the Swiss hotel failed as 4 out of 5 of us found the beds uncomfortable, and a couple of the pillows gave a faint whiff of stale cigarette smoke as you moved your head around. :hurl:

Petrol everywhere was more expensive than the UK with Italy and Switzerland "winning" the award for the most expensive at around €1.84 for basic E10. The French AutoRoute ran a close second but we all expected to be ripped off for fuel on the motorways.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 06:33:43 pm »
Aha I'm blind! Thanks man, useful data!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 07:19:20 pm »
Looks like great fun was had by all.

Shame that Mark has returned to Oz. He'll miss the roads.

Mark has not gone back yet. Due to return in earlg January. I suspect he is now doing so serious reconsideration.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 07:51:55 am »
Simply perfect trip. Excellent pictures thanks for sharing .
Embrace the wind.

Offline Andersen166

• Mad for motorrads and motorrad cleaning
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport 2015
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Keep it standard.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 10:37:17 am »
What a trip!

I am planning to do a similar trip with my father this summer, or the next.

Would u happen to have .gpx files or similar to send or share?

I have applied for membership of the group in myrouteapp.com to see the route.

Dear regards
Yours sincerely

Frederik Andersen

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 11:10:00 am »
Update-

COVID restrictions and the issues with shipping internationally mean that Mark is still here in the UK but has bookings to return at the end of May next year. The trip is still very much a key topic of conversation very time we meet.

With regards to the route. I've made the route "public" on the MyRouteApp website. It should be accessible here: https://www.myrouteapp.com/route/open/5105018

Please let me know if there are any issues with accessing the route.

It may be worth noting that we have established that we "got the route wrong" as it didn't correctly follow the Route des Grande Alpes.  While it makes the route we did no less fun, it does mean we might need to return to do the route properly! ;)

Offline Andersen166

• Mad for motorrads and motorrad cleaning
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport 2015
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Keep it standard.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 09:28:19 am »
Thank you, David.

I have the same route, starting in Denmark planned for this summer with my father (vintage 1956), and I am looking much forward to having a great experience with him.

I must tell you, that you have saved me some time putting in the groundwork for the trip, as i could not find one comprehensive tour going through the alps other than yours.

I have access to the map now, and will make a modification regarding La Route des Grandes Alpes, in order for it to follow the "correct" route. :)

Thanks again, and all the best from Denmark.
Yours sincerely

Frederik Andersen

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 09:46:27 am »
I hope you have a great trip and I look forward to the trip report next year.  :winkthumbs: