Author Topic: Bike Stolen  (Read 5923 times)

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
Bike Stolen
« on: August 17, 2021, 05:49:41 pm »
Went on a weekend jaunt across North York Moors last weekend with 6 other friends.
We booked into a Hotel in Middlesbrough Saturday night.
At about 01:00 some scroat stole my K1300S together with a friends Kawa 1000 & was just coming back into the car park to collect a brand new VFR ( which he had already broken the lock to ). :'(

A noise woke my friend who's Kawa had already gone & saw my bike being wheeled across the car park.
She woke her partner who quickly donned his keks etc & ran around to the car park.
Said scroats took to their heels & just made it onto a waiting scooter before he could get hold of them.

Police didn't even attend & I only managed to get an incident No from them after chasing them this morning.

Don't know if I'll get another K or not.

I'm very tempted with a 1250GS, we'll see.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Bike Stolen
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 06:30:45 pm »
That is tragic Philip. I hope they catch the scrotes.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 08:01:31 pm »
Oh god damn it! Sorry Philip that's horrible :(.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 08:11:08 pm »
Oh god damn it! Sorry Philip that's horrible :(.
+1

Offline fatporker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: MRA Vario Touring Screen, AC Schnitzer Levers, Mirror Extenders,Cansmart with denali soundbomb and B6 rear brake light, GPR EXhaust , SW Motech Alu Rack
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 09:00:36 pm »
Sorry to hear … they should be publicly stoned .. only way to deter the next bunch of scum .. says it all cops didn’t attend far too common an occurrence

Offline Owen2737

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 10:50:29 pm »
Sorry to hear this.Hope you get sorted.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 09:05:26 am »
Very sorry to hear that. Even if you wanted to get another Motorsport, their prices seem overly high at the moment (for their mileage).
I hope the insurance company takes that into account.

Quite a hard bike to shift though, since it's quite unusual?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 09:26:18 am »
If they're idiots then setting up a few eBay alerts for panels etc might be a good idea. Purely in the interest of catching the criminals.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 01:25:14 pm »
If they're idiots then setting up a few eBay alerts for panels etc might be a good idea. Purely in the interest of catching the criminals.

I imagine the police have already done that Matt. This is after all, a civilised country with law and order etc.

And, seeing as it's the middle of the night in the country with more cctv cameras than Fort Knox, surely they could easily track the bstards. If they wanted to of course.

On the other hand...

What a pisser Philip. I imagine that you never really liked the K anyway  >:(

As for the insurance, tell 'em you want another bike, just like the last one. No money, no compensation. Just another bike. Simples!

And that's the first time I have heard of a K being nicked in the UK. What, like didn't they realise it was an old man's BMW  :-\

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 05:48:54 pm »
Local rag did a piece which will hopefully help!

Offline davidll

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 05:57:39 pm »
Darn, thats bad news... sorry to hear.

What sort of security did you have (locks etc) or just parked up?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 10:27:01 pm »
Really sorry to hear that Philip. What a bugger.

Not much of a consolation but I'm sure you'll be impressed with an R1250GS.

Keep us posted.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 10:33:11 am »
Still havn't heard from the Police, other than the crime No, which is probably pretty par for the course.

I just had the steering lock on, but the fairly new VFR next to me had a chain around the rear wheel.

The chain had already been broken & was probably the next bike to be taken, when the scum was disturbed.

Other bikes had disc locks which I had always thought to be fairly easy to break, but may have been more of a deterrent than I thought.

Regarding the value of the bike, MCE make it clear in their policy document that they give you market value from something like Glasses Guide.

We parked the bikes towards the rear of the Hotel car park where they were shielded from view by other cars.
There was a 4' wall topped with 4' railings surrounding the Hotel, but of course an open entrance. 
We also think hotel staff may well have been in on it & tipped off the thieves that there was a valuable haul to be had. ( Only because there was a number of young workers there probably on below minimum wages )

The bikes were taken out via a delivery entrance 8' metal gate at the rear that was supposed to have been locked, but no sign of any broken lock laying nearby.

MCE insurance have been asking loads of the same questions in different ways like " is it used for work ", " is it used for deliveries ", " do I deliver Pizzas " etc, when I insured it SDP. They even asked for a picture of where it is normally parked at home in the garage WTF.
MCE have even scheduled a 30 minute telephone conversation with one of their claim staff for 2 weeks time to discuss the claim.
I expect they are hoping I will have forgotten some of the lies they think I've told them by then, but as it's all the truth i've nothing to worry about.

I'll update further as things progress.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 01:23:02 pm »
As you suggest, it sounds as though there may well have been some involvement of hotel staff. The fact the delivery entrance was unlocked and the fact the scrotes knew the bikes were there suggest a little more than bad luck/coincidence.

I don't know if the chain on the VFR was on or near the ground but I've been told that getting the extra security away from the ground is definitely worth doing as the ground provides a solid stable work surface to hold chains and locks steady and allows extra purchase to be applied to things like bolt croppers. One of the advantages of disk locks is that it's very difficult to get at them with tools that don't risk damaging the bike. As for most steering locks, they're made from the finest Belgian chocolate!!!

I think that the journey with MCE will require a fair bit of patience. They have a it of a reputation for being less than sympathetic to those who need to claim. All I can suggest is making sure you stick to your guns and don't let them get away with anything.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 04:37:44 pm »
Sorry to hear of the loss of your bike Phil, what a bummer.
As for claiming I think I would keep some kind of log and write everything down so nothing gets forgotten.
Ask around on Facebook for other's experiences of theft claims with MCE.
Have a look at their T&C's regarding settlement, excesses etc and be prepared to argue over values. The fact that you do your own servicing might affect MCE's valuation as against a BMW serviced bike for example.
The fact they have scheduled a phone call for two weeks time says they are going to take their time.
How long does the bike have to be missing before it's classed as lost?
Good luck.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.