Author Topic: Today's steed (1250 RT)  (Read 874 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Today's steed (1250 RT)
« on: June 28, 2021, 06:08:22 pm »
My 1300 was due it's 30k service, so I got a loan bike for the day - this time it was the 1250 RT.
Suprisingly nice, nicer than the S1000XR. Ooo, that can't be right, missus!

Good:
- engine is less vibey than the XR. It's got some beans, but you do have to be 2 gears lower than the K.
- big fat LCD 'clocks' - 10"of fun, fnrrrr. Really quite nice. I'm all for them.
- the electric windshield was very effective. Completely up, and 70mph+ and you get sucked into the faring! And the rain goes down your visor instread of up. Crazee. Three figures and it was almost too calm.
- good mirrors. Vital.
- very little fork dive (in Dynamic)
- swift enough once you've got the right gear.

Bad:
- High gearing. 3rd gear in a 30mph to get any sort of drive. I'm used to pottering in 5th on a K. But it was painless.
 - Rain mode had me bouncing around like a pogo. However, Dynamic mode solved that, so it was merely temporary
- just too many buttons, and the horn falls to hand, rather than the indicator switch.
- fly-by-wire throttle is overly sensitive - there's zero play, so you move it very slightly and the throttle comes on. I'd like just a little play ike the 1-2mm you get on a normal throttle, but I guess you get used to it.
- not a lot of space for the knees of the long-legged - the fairing starts getting in the way unless you sit right back in the seat
- keyless ignition. Why?

As ever, it was wonderful to get back on a K - much tighter suspension, much smoother power delivery low down, the nice lean forward, and everything is a sensible size, i.e. not barn door + bloody speakers.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 08:05:59 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1250GS Exclusive TE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: This. And that.
Re: Today's steed (1250 RT)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 06:51:07 pm »
Ah the new new display! I believe when you connect that up to the app you have map navigation. One up on my turn-by-turn version.

Throttle wise, if it's like mine then the cruise control comes into it, and there's a bit of play but it's 'negative', as in you can roll it further closed than the neutral position, which will disengage cruise. If that make sense.

Agree re gearing, 3rd in 30mph for me too. Though at the weekend as I was trying to eek out the miles I was trying 4th but one loses flexibility. I still end up at 4k at 70mph though. If I remember correctly.

I would like fairing mirrors again, bar mirrors feel too close and are annoying when stationary/moving about at low speed.

Sounds like Rain mode, or your modes, were different to mine. Oh! Or actually, if rain mode was on the right Mode button, it has its default damping which you'd see by then hitting the left bar suspension button and seeing most likely it's in Road damping, which is what mine tries to do. It can be overridden to stay in Dynamic, which is what I do. Road damping is too bouncy even for me. Road 'Mode' rather, is just a throttle mapping (and abs and tcs settings).
"My riding is far from perfect"
Brian c. 2019

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 08:11:45 pm »
Though at the weekend as I was trying to eek out the miles I was trying 4th but one loses flexibility.

Exactly. I tried 4th in the 30mph too but it was struggling. It's about 10mph per gear minimum if you're to get any action at all (3rd in 30mph, 4th in 40mph, etc).

I forgot to mention the other negative - it sounds like a 2CV with an Akra.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 12:29:01 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 10:55:58 pm »
Yeah you have to switch to enjoying making the whole affair as quiet as possible instead of finding time to enjoy the engine sounds sadly!

Saying that, after I filled up on Sunday and stopped trying to conserve fuel, it can make the occasional aural fun time!
Brian c. 2019

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 12:53:16 pm »
Sounds like you need an 'ology to ride one of these things  :)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 02:25:06 pm »
Had to park up for 5 minutes to work out how switch the heated grips off. Instead of a heated grips button it had a central locking button. Why isn't that on the key?

In the end it was something like (but do correct me, Matt):
- Menu button
- roll the scrolly wheel (on left grip) to
- select Settings
- select Heating
- select Grips (it had Seats as an option too - jeez!)
- roll the heat number down to 0 (it has 5 levels)
- Save (this was the hardest bit. I still can't remember how I got it to accept 0. Trial. Followed by Error, many times.)
- back
- back

I really wouldn't want to be distracted that long whilst in the move.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 03:52:46 pm by richtea »

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K16GT + S1000XR Triple Black
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 03:32:46 pm »
... Ah the new new display! I believe when you connect that up to the app you have map navigation. One up on my turn-by-turn version ...

Yeah, it's a real neat display, and shows a full GPS type map along side the normal display. Also, the glove box on the right hand side holds your phone and has USB to keep it charged, and a fan to keep it cool.

I test rode the V4S Multi the other day which has a similar pocket on the tank with USB inside, but its too small to get your phone in   :(

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 04:34:16 pm »
Had to park up for 5 minutes to work out how switch the heated grips off. Instead of a heated grips button it had a central locking button. Why isn't that on the key?

- Menu button
- select Settings
- select Heating
- Save (this was the hardest bit. I still can't remember how I got it to accept 0. Trial. Followed by Error, many times.)
- back
- back

Right-hand bar, in front of the Mode button, that's where my heated grip button is! Going through menus reminds me of the review for the KTM something-or-other where I think that is the case. Thankfully not on the GS.
Brian c. 2019

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 12:04:16 pm »
To this day I still can't tell you where the heated grips switch is on the K13S...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 02:15:01 pm »
To this day I still can't tell you where the heated grips switch is on the K13S...

I wonder if adding Braille dots on them might help!  ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K16GT + S1000XR Triple Black
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 05:06:11 pm »

- Menu button
- select Settings
- select Heating
- back
- back

Been doing this on my K16GTs since 2011! Simples  ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 05:13:14 pm »
Man alive. Men alive!

I go through hot, mid, off, so many times in a trip!
Brian c. 2019

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 05:55:15 pm »

I wonder if adding Braille dots on them might help!  ;)

Perhaps not, because a) I would have to remember where the switch was before I could not feel the dots through my toasty warm gloves and b) I never use the heated grips because I wear toasty warm gloves.

Oh, and I have Barkbusters hand guards fitted in winter...