Author Topic: Hello from Tennessee in America  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Foothills

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Anniversary Edition
Re: Hello from Tennessee in America
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 04:45:55 pm »
I've been doing some digging.  I'm finding info on doing that for the older servo ABS system that some of the K1200s had.  My 2013 doesn't have that system.  There is not a reservoir under the seat to fill using the little funnel device I've seen.  I'm thinking it may not apply to my model.
Wisdom is in knowing where courage ends and stupidity begins.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 06:15:20 pm »
Both my 2007 K1200r Sport and my 2016 S1000XR are identical when it comes to changing brake fluid and you activate the ABS via a GS-911.

Offline DuncanH

• Love my K13S & GT. Also '66 Bonnie & Guzzi Dr John
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S HP (2016), K1300GT (2010)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: 1300S has no mods yet (except Aliant YLP14 Lithium battery & ally top-hats pressed into handlebar inner ends to take RAM ball mounts for satnav/phone) but fitting a full Akra, modifying induction/filters etc. GT has 244 degree exhaust cam, GPR titanium can, HP Motorsport Forged wheels (6" rear), Sargent seat, spoiler on screen, Aliant YLP30 Lithium Battery, carbon front mudguard, home-made overlapping rear mudguard extensions (lower half bolted to swingarm)
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 10:06:17 am »
I didn't touch the clutch fluid since it's not subject to moisture.  As to the brakes, I've been following the service manual I bought.  It doesn't mention activating the ABS via the ECU.  Do you have more info.  I don't have the GS-911 but I do have Motoscan.

I personally never activate the ABS but I do use a vacuum brake bleeder (Mityvac).  Just PTFE the bleed nipples on each caliper so air can't get in and it works a treat.

I have a GS911 but gather from somewhere that a motoscan is as good or better.  Interested in other's experience..

I found it well worth bleeding the clutch - works better.  BMW say it never needs doing but the fluid was filthy when I got the bike at 15,000 miles.  If there's no bleed nipple on the slave cylinder you'll need to buy one (with rubber cap of course) and use a syringe and clear tube - personally though it says empty the system and push it in I bleed it downwards like a brake caliper, having PTFE's the nipple).  At first I used BMW's own fluid - about £15 for 300ml over here - pricey for what you get but you don't need much. You can also use pushbike disk brake oil but that's pricey too.  Next time, I'll use LHM (power steering fluid) which is apparently.  The main thing is to use a mineral based oil, not brake fluid.
Duncan

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 01:38:29 pm »
I have a GS911 but gather from somewhere that a motoscan is as good or better.  Interested in other's experience..

The main advantage of the Motoscan app (+ a genuine ELM327 dongle) is that the price is sensible, i.e. not a 'BMW price'.

It doesn't have the full range of GS-911 features, but it's definitely got the majority for the amateur detectives/fiddlers.
If you want everything then you need a GS-911.

Here's what Motoscan + good dongle can do:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3426.msg42355#msg42355

In summary, things that work on Motoscan:
- fault clearing
- service reset
- TPMS
- Km <--> mph
etc.

Things that didn't seem to work:
- ESA detection
- fuel strip detection
- brake switch detection (clutch and side stand worked nicely, though)

Offline DuncanH

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: 1300S has no mods yet (except Aliant YLP14 Lithium battery & ally top-hats pressed into handlebar inner ends to take RAM ball mounts for satnav/phone) but fitting a full Akra, modifying induction/filters etc. GT has 244 degree exhaust cam, GPR titanium can, HP Motorsport Forged wheels (6" rear), Sargent seat, spoiler on screen, Aliant YLP30 Lithium Battery, carbon front mudguard, home-made overlapping rear mudguard extensions (lower half bolted to swingarm)
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 03:58:27 pm »
I didn't touch the clutch fluid since it's not subject to moisture.  As to the brakes, I've been following the service manual I bought.  It doesn't mention activating the ABS via the ECU.  Do you have more info.  I don't have the GS-911 but I do have Motoscan.

Yes, there's no need to activate the ABS to bleed the brakes.  It does help but I just use a vacuum bleeder (MityVac). You mention you're putting speed bleeders on which should help.  I just put PTFE on the threads of the nipples to stop air getting in, then use the MityVac to bleed the nipple on the master cylinder first, then the left front caliper, then the right, then the master cylinder again just in case.  Rear is even simpler.  Takes a few mins to flush whole system through with clean fluid.  Without a mityvac or switching the pump on it'll be fiddlier but straightforward.  Change the yellow anti-foaming sponge in the reservoir now and again (actually it washes out perfectly well every now and again and lasts years - as long as you dry it thoroughly before putting it back).  I also find it worth putting a cable tie (strong one, preset to the right length) on to hold the front brake lever on, whenever the bike is parked up overnight - really makes the system firm (no real idea why this dodge works but it does).
Duncan

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 05:33:11 pm »
Slightly OT but I recently changed my brake fluid as per 18K service, much firmer lever but bite point is further down lever travel than I'm happy with. Looked at front pads and they're 3/4 down which probably explains it.  So, OEM or EBC H-H pads? Apart from disk wear and $$$ is there much of a difference?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:35:59 pm by armstrongracer »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 05:48:10 pm »
Costas is your man for brake pad recommendations (or perform a forum search) I think he swears by Carbone Lorraine, but don't hold me to that  :-\

Offline DuncanH

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 06:58:46 pm »

The main advantage of the Motoscan app (+ a genuine ELM327 dongle) is that the price is sensible, i.e. not a 'BMW price'.

It doesn't have the full range of GS-911 features, but it's definitely got the majority for the amateur detectives/fiddlers.
If you want everything then you need a GS-911.

Here's what Motoscan + good dongle can do:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3426.msg42355#msg42355

In summary, things that work on Motoscan:
- fault clearing
- service reset
- TPMS
- Km <--> mph
etc.

Things that didn't seem to work:
- ESA detection
- fuel strip detection
- brake switch detection (clutch and side stand worked nicely, though)

Thanks - really interesting.  I might have got one if I hadn't already spent £300 on the 911.  I assume the Motoscan also gives real time readouts of sensor data (e.g. Lambda ratio - e.g. mine told me it was running 1.07 at idle - I've no great use for that data til I start fettling it with a Power Commander but it does help to be able to see how lean its running (and that's quite lean!) and actuator voltages?
In terms of calibration/set-up functions, haven't had to use it yet but the 911 allows one to calibrate a new ESA.
Duncan

Offline DuncanH

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 07:03:13 pm »
Costas is your man for brake pad recommendations (or perform a forum search) I think he swears by Carbone Lorraine, but don't hold me to that  :-\

I use EBC EFPA sintered pads.  I used EBC HH pads before and was happy but the EFPAs are another level in terms of power and fade prevention.  These bikes are heavy.  The servo assist makes up for it in terms of 1-off stopping power (and the high C of G and anti-dive front end mean the front bites the road really hard, but the brakes can fade on really hard use
Duncan

Offline DuncanH

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 07:10:26 pm »
Both my 2007 K1200r Sport and my 2016 S1000XR are identical when it comes to changing brake fluid and you activate the ABS via a GS-911.

Mines a GT but should be the same as yr S  and R but works fine without activating the pump.   I've just double checked the BMW manual and it's done without.
Duncan

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 07:39:21 pm »

I use EBC EFPA sintered pads.  I used EBC HH pads before and was happy but the EFPAs are another level in terms of power and fade prevention.  These bikes are heavy.  The servo assist makes up for it in terms of 1-off stopping power (and the high C of G and anti-dive front end mean the front bites the road really hard, but the brakes can fade on really hard use

Blimey! I've ridden with very fast riders and none have ever complained of brake fade (apart from me, but the pads were down to 1.5mm...

Stock BMW pads for me every time and apart from the cost, no complaints.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 08:15:36 pm »
I assume the Motoscan also gives real time readouts of sensor data (e.g. Lambda ratio - e.g. mine told me it was running 1.07 at idle - I've no great use for that data til I start fettling it with a Power Commander but it does help to be able to see how lean its running (and that's quite lean!) and actuator voltages?

It does, but I seem to remember it wasn't sampling at a particularly high rate, if that matters.
To be honest, I rarely use it - mostly for checking the very occasional fault code. It exists merely to keep the gremlins away. It's worked so far.  8)