Author Topic: Crazy parts pricing  (Read 4456 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Crazy parts pricing
« on: March 08, 2021, 10:46:51 am »
I recently took the FJR into my local dealer (Padgetts in Batley) for a brake switch recall. I have only taken my bike to Padgetts twice and both time it came out with something wrong with it, I'm not casting aspersions it's just a statement of fact. So this time I rode home from the recall work and parked the bike in the garage and didn't look at it for a week or so. When I did go into the garage I had a brake fluid leak which I tracked down to the right front brake pipe. I thought it would be a good time to upgrade the whole system to braided lines. I ordered a whole kit from Goodridge, however they are having some supply problems so I am thinking of ditching this idea and just replacing the leaky hose with an OEM one, this is where the crazy pricing comes in. The front brake pipe is one piece for both sides joined to an ABS block. To buy this part from Fowlers is £184.54 inc VAT + delivery at £5.50 to give a grand total of £190.04.
However, there is an alternative, buy from America. If I go to Partshark I can get the same OEM part with the same part number as here in the UK for $53.48 (£38.63) + delivery $67.75 (£48.95) for a grand total of $121.23 (£87.55)

WTF

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 10:53:07 am by raesewell »

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
Re: Crazy parts pricing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 10:58:25 am »
i blame brexit and covid.....
frustrating is too soft a word for that, buy local and you get hit with skyhigh prices and shoddy workmanship (sometimes)
do a quick search and there are a few places in the uk - less in ireland where you can buy braided hoses and compression ends that you can fit yourself. get a couple of extra olives just in case and away you go.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 11:20:55 am »
This is not a Covid or Brexit situation this has existed for a few years now I had a similar experience a couple of years ago where I save myself about a hundred quid on parts for the States. I have decided to go with OEM for now and may revisit it at a later time.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:30:42 am »
Yeah this is just a sign of globalisation going a bit wrong! So often it's directly 'cheaper' to get something flown/shipped half way around the world.

Even if the local part did that exact same journey, you'd expect the manufacturer to be better at reduced cost shipping than an individual!

Maybe it's just a case of what part of the original journey is responsible for having huge overheads to cover. Is it Padgett's/dealers with huge property overheads to clear? Though that should be the same in America, although land is cheaper... yuck yuck yuck, in any case. Over 3 times the price is a bit mental.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 11:31:08 am »
You could consider non-Goodridge, Rae. Hel or similar?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 11:35:24 am »
I have been in touch with HEL and Venhill and they both want me to strip the brake lines and send them off to them so they can make copies. I am not prepared to go to those lengths at the moment. Goodridge have the patterns but are experiencing long delays due to import and staff problems. Hey ho. I have decided to go OEM.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 12:02:22 pm »
the covid/brexit thing was a bit tongue in cheek, perhaps it's too soon.
oem is always safe, no matter what goes wrong you have a good safety net. i was fairly sure venhill was one of the outfits that sold everything individually but perhaps i'm wrong.
most manufacturers don't offer discount to private sellers, they want regular orders from trade, if they sell private thats one less sale the trade guys get and they complain to the manufacturer.
that said the difference in prices for the same thing out of the same factory can be staggering and bloody annoying.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 12:33:19 pm »
I'm not sure I'd call OEM "safe". OEM parts are often lower quality/specification than aftermarket options that are half the price. (Brake lines for example!!!)

The UK has long been "ripped off" by manufacturers charging over the odds compared to the same parts elsewhere in the world.One of the few advantages of being in the EU was it allowed us to buy from other EU countries without additional duties being applied.

In your position Rae I'd very carefully measure each brake line, photographing and noting each end then send the specs to one of the manufacturers (Goodridge, HEL etc.) to make up a set of replacements. The advantage of flexible hoses is that you can easily "lose" a few mm of extra length so allow a little extra (but let the manufacturer know that's what you've done) and you'll be fine.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 01:28:53 pm »
I'm sure either from a breaker or forum member that has some surplus used OEM lines lying around Rae can get some lines to send to Hel or Venhill to be used as Master-Samples. May even be able to negotiate a discount on the basis of potential future sales which would offset the shipping costs. Both of those companies will be better than OEM plus you'll get SS instead of plating for a lower price.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 01:49:02 pm »
As I said above I have decided to go with OEM for now, I may revisit this in the future.
Everyone seems to have focused on the braided line part of this thread rather than the price differential which the thread was intended to highlight.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:51:18 pm by raesewell »

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 02:04:07 pm »
when i said safe i meant in a consumer protection way, although they would need to be safe on a road use way as well.
most/all of us agree the pricing is all over the place. that said if i was changing brake hoses i would probably use braided hoses, not vital just a notion i have.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 02:24:08 pm »
The UK is a tiny market compared with the US which is why they have a much better buying power.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 02:31:03 pm »
The UK is a tiny market compared with the US which is why they have a much better buying power.
True Tom, and I am more than happy to boost the U.S. figures  :D

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 07:48:16 pm »

Which is why leaving the European market wasn't the wisest thing to do. On the other hand : yes, that big number of silly European rules may be frustrating at times.

Heck. At least Farage made good money with the Brexit, which you may be paying in the long run ...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 08:41:42 pm »
Sshh! Boris might read this, he is pretty close to a breakdown and if you tip him over the edge... we'll have to do a collection for a medal for you!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022