Author Topic: K1600 GTL  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Melvin

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GTL
K1600 GTL
« on: November 06, 2020, 01:32:51 pm »
Hello all,
My riding colleague has today purchased a 20 reg GTL,now I was under the impression that the GTLs had reverse and hill start.
But the one he has bought has not got these but it has had the gearbox recall done.
He has swapped his 17reg K1600 GT which had both the hill start and reverse so what's on with BMW?
Keep your knees in the breeze

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: K1600 GTL
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 05:06:05 pm »
I take it he knew it didn't have it when he bought it yeah?

BMW site says it should have it. if it is a GTL.

How strange.

is the R button on the handlebar?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 09:54:54 pm »
How strange. Even if was a ‘19 model without reverse then it should still have hill start. They are both standard fitment fo ‘20, and as Matt says does it have an R button and an H on the dashboard?

Offline Melvin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 09:23:32 am »
Thanks Matt and Belco,he is having it delivered next Thursday so I will stroll past his house and give it two or three coats of looking at.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 10:00:46 am »
How strange. Even if was a ‘19 model without reverse then it should still have hill start. They are both standard fitment fo ‘20, and as Matt says does it have an R button and an H on the dashboard?

I have a H on my forehead but every time I run into walls I always bounce off :(.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 01:04:52 pm »
he is having it delivered next Thursday so I will stroll past his house and give it two or three coats of looking at.

Having moved bikes for a living for some years just spare a though for the poor sod who has to get that thing in the back of a van and out the other end.....I used hate the 1300 version with a passion never mind a 1600  :o

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 02:14:09 pm »
Reverse it up the ramp? Nice low gearing, and all that.  ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »
Reverse it up the ramp? Nice low gearing, and all that.  ;D

My thoughts exactly! :D

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 04:38:09 pm »
I used to have reverse on my last 1600 but didn’t bother on my latest. Every time I used it my mates would make beeping noises like an HGV reversing   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 05:12:23 pm »
Having moved bikes for a living for some years just spare a though for the poor sod who has to get that thing in the back of a van and out the other end.....I used hate the 1300 version with a passion never mind a 1600  :o

The freezing cold morning that my GS was going into Vines (for its last ever service with them as you will see) it just refused to start. I had anticipated this and had turned it round on the icy drive the night before and had the Optimate on all night to boot. Still no go. New battery methinks.

I shoved it out of the estate and onto the main road into town, a nice long downhill with little traffic. Should be a doddle. Nope, not a peep from the bugger.

Phoned my breakdown service who sent a man from the north of Oxford. Not North Oxford Garages, just north Oxford. I went home and after climbing the bloody hill in full gear, stripped off, had a shower (the second that morning) and waited for the arrival of my knight in greasy armour.

I rang NOG to see if they had a new battery on the shelf. The nice man went and checked and said yes, two on the shelf and he would put one aside for me...

I also rang Vines, because that was where it was ultimately going. Yep, loads of them in stores...

The nice man arrived to take me back to the bike and when he got out of the van I was amazed. He was only about 5 feet tall but was built like an All Black full back. I was surprised his van only had ramps and not a lift but he simply put the GS under his arm (almost literally at 5' alongside a GS) and ran up the ramp with it without even breaking sweat or stride. 'You've done that before...' 'Three times! Since midnight...'

Anyway, given the choice he said he would get more money for taking me to Vines than back to Oxford so off we went.

Of course, Vines didn't have a new battery ('we can have one here for you tomorrow sir' 'thank you, and where do I sleep tonight?') still tried to charge me for four spark plugs for a single plug bike and I never darkened their door ever again.

So, size isn't everything when it comes to moving bikes (although Richard makes it look easy peasy) and experience seems to be the winning hand.

Offline Melvin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 06:23:32 pm »
I suppose a tail lift or a low trailer or a low van like the Renault master would be an answer for a 15 st weakling like me,especially for a bike without reverse!
But will find out for sure next week if it has the R.

Offline Melvin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 03:30:28 pm »
Have had a look at my colleagues 2020 reg GTL with 6 miles on the clock which was delivered today it has no reverse and the hill start was added as an extra before he would buy it,at a cost of course.