Author Topic: K1200R 2006  (Read 22709 times)

revd

K1200R 2006
« on: September 02, 2020, 11:04:37 am »
Right here is my new to me K1200R with 26K on the clocks, ESA, ABS, heated grips, tank bag and handle bar guards.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:23:32 pm by Matt »

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: K1200R 2006
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:24:22 pm »
Admin Mode: Just sorted one uncontrolled width tag.

That looks lovely! Ah and that headlight isn't that far away from mine is it.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

revd

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 03:24:53 pm »
Some updates. Rubbed down flaky paint and covered it with enamel gloss.  Stripped, cleaned and greased the lower suspension bits. Stripped and painted the petrol cap surround as it was flaking off and looked horrible.

revd

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 06:49:00 am »
Adding BoosterPlug and Delkevic baseline exhaust, simple stainless round one.  Baffle stays in.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 07:41:31 am »
BoosterPlug? Does it do anything?
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

revd

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 09:39:18 am »
Waiting for it to arrive. Was £40 off Ebay, bought not used as sold bike. Previous owner used for 2 months, sold bike. I've bought it because it is a small sum and might make the bike a touch smoother on the lower revs.  Not a huge issue, but every little helps and all that.

A little change to the bike is the exhaust.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 10:08:13 am »
Exhaust looks good.

Are you running on 99RON fuel? If not, I'd suggest giving it a go. I found it significantly improved low revs running such that I could happily run my bike down below 30mph in top and it would trundle along without complaint then pull strongly and cleanly when I opened the throttle. I also found that there was an mpg improvement that pretty much covered the increase in cost.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

revd

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 10:12:18 am »
yes. It is available 4 miles from me and I've been running it on higher octane from day one.  No point not to really with this sort of engine! My old Daytona 900 loved the VMax stuff as well.  Bike pulls well from 30mph in top gear.  Love the torque and grunt.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 11:10:15 am »
Tangent Time!

I always ran my K on the good stuff, but i've been running the GS on the normo stuff. Hardly even thought about it, but maybe i'll try going back to the good stuff and see if I discern much difference. Maybe it's all the round the world stuff I see where they put goat blood and all sorts into boxers and they carry on.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 01:22:42 pm »
My 1100s loves Avgas but my pocket doesn’t  :) :(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 06:07:48 pm »
I think the booster plug (all variations) works well at fooling the ECU into doing something unwanted and fooling the rider into thinking it is doing something wonderful.

Decades ago I tried one on an Astra GTE MkII which had some interesting fuelling 'issues'. Did nothing. It was simply a cheap resistor, 34p a handful from The Shop On the Bridge or 50p from Maplin... :(

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 06:56:38 pm »
The way the Booster Plug works is fool the ECU into thinking it’s colder that it really is,so the ECU chucks more fuel into the motor, it will certainly do something but a really blunt instrument.

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 08:23:36 pm »
I did a lot, probably too much, reading and investigation on the Booster plug and the AF-Xied.

If you have a spare afternoon,  follow the rabbit hole that is Roger 04 RT, the developer of the AF- Xied.
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/482858-AF-XIED-for-R1200-LC

Basically, the Booster plug fools the ecu initially in thinking it is colder than it is, and therefore dumps more fuel in. It plugs into the temperature sensor feed. The BMW ecu, using the other sensors including the o2 sensor, adjusts for the booster plug and it reverts to standard. 

The Af-xied adjusts the o2 sensors reading to increase fuelling in closed-loop operation, and by learning, open loop operation after a few tanks of petrol. It is also adjustable depending on what aftermarket goodies,  e.g. exhaust of air filter you have installed.

I've installed the AF-xied on a couple of bikes, including my current one and the result is noticeable and sustainable.  But don't take my word for it, have a read of the link and search for all the discussions and data on it.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 09:08:48 pm »
10 years ago any kind of piggy back after market fuelling gizmo was dead, because so many folks had worked out how to access the the ECU, including the ream upon ream posted about about Hilltop I went in person and walked out after 20 minutes but that really is another story.

Because of the easy ECU access and how things were going I went with a Rexxer map and several hours on a dyno, it’s good but doesn’t have the ‘Feel of a PC’.

Within a couple years Europe along with the TUV had a major clampdown and ECU’s are all but impossible to break into and hence the comeback of piggyback, the two current front runners are Power Commander and Rapid Bike, my personal preference is a PC, currently have such on 3 bikes(2 PC111 and 1 PCV)and have another to go on my KTM over the winter.

Aftermarket fuelling is just like anything else in this life you get what you pay for and cheaper options are available.

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 10:14:19 pm »
I agree Chris, Power commander is the gold standard. But it requires effort, and possibly a dyno to get the mapping etc. right.

The thing I like about the Af-xied is that it's a reasonable cost (around £200) and it's plug and play.  I just wanted to iron out the stumbling below 4000 revs, and the hesitation. I didn't need any more power. 

This gave it to me job done.