Author Topic: Shobdon Airfield  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Shobdon Airfield
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 09:13:45 pm »
Yeah I'll second that. I wonder where and how their landings were going in training, and what that resulted in them expecting to find on the night.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 11:39:17 am »
The couple with the two dogs were the Human version of Google when it came to talking about planes....among the many things that got discussed, they were saying that there is a Lancaster being rebuilt as a ‘Flyer’ at Scampton airfield, while all 4 engines run and they do start them up several times a year as a demo the project is still a Million pounds short  :o

Oh.. and there is a Mosquitio in a similar condition.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 12:48:48 pm »
Oh wow! I'd love to see... both of those flying!

A million pounds! I wonder what it cost to build one back in the day, and what that price is in today's money after we add a bunch of inflation. Fricking heck, because infinite growth is possible right. Bloody woman. And man. And every government ever.

Where was I? Oh yes. Planes. Yay!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 05:57:30 pm »
I think that the Lancaster referenced is actually based at East Kirkby and named "Just Jane". It is owned privately by the family of a WW11 bomber pilot who was killed on active service. The aircraft was bought some years ago by his relatives (the Panton family) and undertakes ground runs regularly. Taxi rides (low speed) have also been available for some years.

Currently, I believe that the aircraft has four overhauled engines fitted and is being readied for a return to the air, however that project still has a way to go yet.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 07:06:08 pm »
The conversation started with us asking about the Bomber Command memorial at Lincoln as my wife’s uncle was a Path Finder and got shot down 3 weeks from the end of the war and because the Russians took over that sector the family got very little info, well in actual fact a single letter in 1953,so maybe not all their info was spot on but good enough for us to want go and find out what we can at some time in the future.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 10:55:41 pm »
Oh.. and there is a Mosquitio in a similar condition.

The last time I saw a Mosquito was in 1968 at a friend's house in New Zealand, a hamlet just outside the fence at RAF Lyneham. We set fire to it at a grand barbecue and all danced around the flames in a drunken stupor. The RAF fire section came out thinking it was something that had crashed on the airfield...they were not amused, but a few beers tossed over the fence persuaded them not to turn their hoses on it.

It wasn't a complete airframe, just a mangled centre section, but still...

No idea how it got there other than the guy was a pilot in the war but it isn't as if he just took it home with him one night.