Author Topic: Wireless charging phone mount  (Read 5243 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Wireless charging phone mount
« on: May 19, 2020, 07:23:54 pm »
I have just fitted one of these to the bike

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Handlebar-Phone-Holder-15W-Wireless-QC3-0-USB-Charger-GPS-Mount-Stand/233572943963?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=533245393282&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

I am impressed with it, I wanted to eliminate having to plug the phone in to charge it. I tested the charging capacity and it charges the phone even on full brightness with several apps running.

I wanted to use my existing Ram Mount setup so had to fettle it a bit but I am pleased with the result.
Here it is on the bike.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: Wireless charging phone mount
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:29:17 pm »
Very interesting. Could you take some pics from the other side so I can see how you've mounted it? Did you fettle the RAM mount or the phone holder?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 08:40:34 pm »
I fettled both. I had an M8 Ram ball and the Phone ball is 15mm. There is no 15mm to 1" Ram adaptor. I used an M6 because the 15mm ball wouldn't take the M8. I made an adaptor to fit the M8 Ram to take an M6 and drilled and tapped the 15mm ball to M6.
In fact it was a 17mm ball I had already and I sanded it down on the lathe to 15mm. I'll take some photos later.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 09:05:51 pm »
I love the idea, but I'm not sold on those corner grips - well, not from the picture.  :P
I'd want them coming OVER the phone edges.
Are they grippy enough to stop a heavy phone (on the wallet & physically) from bouncing out?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 09:22:11 pm »
It seems to be fairly solid and doesn't feel like a heap of crap. I might just augment with the X grip rubber tether until I am confident. The levers have to be squeezed to release the corners, it's a ratchet mechanism.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 09:54:00 pm »
THE no-go for me : it's Chinese.

I promised myself NEVER to buy anything Chinese any more. At least not without being "covered" by some European or American brand. Brian still has some Chinese dashcam crap I bought laying unused and useless in some storage rack - he couldn't get it to work either.

Chinese electronics don't work until proven to work ... without burning down your home... some day ...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 07:37:53 am »
I agree with your sentiments Philppe and in the main are true. However you have to remember that some of the brands that we know and trust are chines made, Tomtom for an example. The Chinese have had for a number of years a problem with quality control. They tend not to have large complexes, rather more cottage industries and that is where the problems arise, Wung chu might not have the same standards as Wo Fat just down the road. When you get them all singing from the same hymn sheet the quality is fine and that is down to the customer to make sure they get the kick up the arse they need,

Offline davidll

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 09:51:01 am »
My solution - I've gone down the quadlock way. Can't recommend the system enough.
https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/

Australian product / made in China - I have no issues with that.
Ok, on the k1300s, its tucked behind the screen - but its simple, small, aesthetically pleasing. The Phone is an XS Max - so i can see it!

Tested on the motorway at a good speed. Its a great wireless solution.... but theres one thing, Its not waterproof... I've sealed it myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQX4yiMi1zM

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:05:00 am by davidll »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 09:57:27 am »
Richards comments lead me to investigate further, so I put the phone in the cradle and gave it a good wiggle and bump, I was able under certain circumstances able to wiggle the phone free. This was not any fault with the holder, it was that my phone was a just a bit narrow. If it had been 5mm wider there would have been no problem and the phone would have been held firm and solid.

As my phone wasn't 5mm wider I had to make a few creative changes. I took and old plastic phone holder and made corner pieces to hold the phone in place and also added some small foam pieces to give a bit of a cushion. It is now rock solid and I am confident that the phone will be held firmly in place.

Here are some photos to illustrate. Also some photos of the Ram ball adaptor for Martin.

Finished article with the phone in place

Here are the breakdown pictures of the ball adaptor

I looked at Quadlock and you had to buy a new case with a change of phone.
This solution was not about a phone holder, I had a perfectly good phone holder. This was about wireless charging.
The Quadlock solution to wireless charging is very expensive.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 10:34:01 am »
Looks good, Rae!

I have no problem with Chinese equipment - quality is generally good, price is fabulous.
Occasionally, you get a faulty product, but that's also true of local UK/Euro suppliers.

The true irritation is not the quality, it's not being able to ring up and sort any problems out. The langauge barrier (and low cost) prohibits us from ringing, I suspect.
If it's more than £20 or so, I tend to favour using a UK supplier of Chinese goods rather than direct purchase. Then I have a communications route.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 11:20:38 am »
At the first attempt I ordered the wrong mount so had to send it back. I created a free return on Ebay and it went to an address in Milton Keynes and I had the refund in two days. So they must have a UK agent.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 03:19:05 pm »
I've bought lots ofChinese stuff off fleabay and most of it has been as described and excellent quality.

I've had a TPMS system that wouldn'tset below 2 bar, not much use on my Honda which runs 1.5...

They (the Chinese suppliers) always try to get you take a partial refund, even when they knew it wouldn't work on my bike. However, they are terrified of a less than perfect feedback score and a quick explanation has always got me a full refund.

I normally make the point of buying from UK stock as that at least shows some presence over here.

Each to their own  8)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 03:31:51 pm »
So I donned my mesh jacket ans trousers and went for a spin in the sunshine. I encountered several fairly severe pot holes and the phone stayed firmly in place. So all in all a gizmo I am happy with. Longevity and rain might be a problem but time will tell.
I'll keep you posted.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 03:55:10 pm »
...and rain might be a problem but time will tell.

Your phone is probably at least showerproof, or is it corrosion of the holder itself you're worried about?
Most modern phones with sealed-in batteries (i.e. no back cover joint) are OK submerged for a few minutes*, let alone a gentle pitter patter.

*at your own risk, blah, blah.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 04:22:00 pm »
Neat job. I can find a 1" to 17mm RAM extension piece for my exiting set up (due to the 17mm fitting on some Garmins I believe) , but lack the lathe or similar to turn 17mm into 15mm and don't fancy hand sanding it. Like you I am attracted to the wireless charging but its not desperate at the moment.