Author Topic: A guy riding his K (in a decent way)...  (Read 4881 times)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
A guy riding his K (in a decent way)...
« on: April 25, 2019, 01:49:44 pm »
This video of a guy having the time of his life on his K1300R. This guy incited me to follow a cornering course about a year ago (which I finally did last week). I think few of the K riders do it like he does, e.g. scraping the footpegs - who else does (I don't - moreover, I don't have a K any longer)...

Watch and enjoy here.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: A guy riding his K (in a decent way)...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 05:49:47 pm »
I think you'll find that most of The Old Gits don't have much in the way of chicken strips left at the end of the week.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 06:23:49 pm »
If it comes to reaching the "end" of the (back) tyre :
- my GSX-S1000 : check
- my VFR800F : check
- my (former) K1300S : nogo ! I always ended my tyres with a tiny amount of chicken strips, TBH (about half a cm). Let alone scraping my footpegs (never succeeded). I know one guy who was able, once, to scrape his left footpeg. But then again, he had had his complete left fairing scraping the ground too ...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 06:24:35 pm »
I think you'll find that most of The Old Gits don't have much in the way of chicken strips left at the end of the week.

I probably do. Tell me, on a dry road, does the K scrape a peg before slipping? I have no idea how far I lean, but tend to err on the cautious side; chicken strips are about 1".

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 06:43:10 pm »

I probably do. Tell me, on a dry road, does the K scrape a peg before slipping? I have no idea how far I lean, but tend to err on the cautious side; chicken strips are about 1".

Yes! :D

Obviously,  not the MotorSport.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 09:26:15 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 11:03:00 pm »
The motorsport pegs are the same height as standard? But no hinge!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 07:12:15 am »
Without measuring I can't be 100% sure but my gut says they're higher, slightly further back and shorter (so don't stick out quite so far.) You would be off the tyre before a Motorsport peg touched down.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 07:58:05 am »
Yes you can get to the edge of the tyre on the K1300s, it depends on your suspension setting at the time if the pegs touch or not  8) ;D ;D ;D
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:03:06 pm »
Yes you can get to the edge of the tyre on the K1300s, it depends on your suspension setting at the time if the pegs touch or not  8) ;D ;D ;D

And, to some extent, which tyre you have fitted.

I think if mine were an inch wide I'd get the angle-grinder out although I've never got them down to absolutely nothing.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 12:19:09 pm »

I think if mine were an inch wide I'd get the angle-grinder out although I've never got them down to absolutely nothing.

You're not trying hard enough Brian! :D I managed to get to the very edge of the rear PR4 on both my Sport and my MotorSport. The front always had a mm or 2 left though.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 12:33:16 pm »
Without measuring I can't be 100% sure but my gut says they're higher, slightly further back and shorter (so don't stick out quite so far.) You would be off the tyre before a Motorsport peg touched down.

Motorsport / Gilles(?) pegs at their lowest setting are within a whisker, if not identical, to standard pegs.
But bring them up and back, and your clearance will be much greater. In the same ratio as the pain (for me).

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:35:10 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 01:56:49 pm »

You're not trying hard enough Brian! :D I managed to get to the very edge of the rear PR4 on both my Sport and my MotorSport. The front always had a mm or 2 left though.

Not going fast enough more like...but after my slow-manouevring lessons I'll be able to get off the edge going round roundabouts  ;D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 08:17:29 pm »
Only just managed to watch it. Had me worried at 2:45 - 2:55!

Apart from that, pretty controlled, and a damned sight faster than me.