Author Topic: Pirelli Angel GT II  (Read 18897 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Pirelli Angel GT II
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2020, 03:48:29 pm »
I get through two rears for one front, roughly. I don't get anywhere near 4000 miles from a rear GT2. I made a note this time, so I'll know for sure.

You must spend a lot of time just on the back wheel!

In my 150k+ miles on a K1?00S I've never had the situation where the front has more than about 1500 miles left in it when the rear is worn out and I've never had a rear last less than 6k miles other than the OE fittings (whateer they were) from BMW.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2020, 09:21:04 pm »
Using a simple gauge, new  Angel GT2 (A) tyre depth 5mm front, 7mm rear. I happen to have a pair in stock.

Offline davidll

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2020, 09:41:20 pm »
Im 4k into my Angel GT2 (A) tires - and they are great.
Had my bike serviced at BMW last week - and the VHC (bmw's visual health check!!) states 3 at the front 4.5 at the rear.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2020, 10:01:40 pm »
I like how much riding style can impact wear. I was reading an article on i think cycleworld was it, about whenever you're off throttle to be gently on the brakes.  Then I also recall Martin Brundle in an edition of Bike talking about, "using the brakes is like admitting you got it wrong." On his K1600.

So everyone rides differently. Just like with the rear brake debacle, it can drastically change wear patterns.

Myself I always change front and rear together, mostly triggered by rear wear and mostly because I don't want to think too much and can afford it. And a not insignificant desire to spend as little time at a garage as possible, which is always a challenge with a BMW bike AND car (a 20 year old lovely one but still, 'oh hi we can't work out how to make springs that don't break').

I reckon if I were to actually do it properly I'd be middle ground, 2/3rds front for every 1 rear.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2020, 12:15:38 am »
Took the bike out today to check out the wet weather impressions of the tyres. It stopped raining and the roads dried out really quickly. Typical. Still enjoyed a blast around North Wales.
Watchin you Focker

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2020, 02:39:06 pm »
Realistically, they'll get changed a little earlier, so we're looking at around 6.5 - 7k for the pair.

Update: I was about 1k optimistic on the rear, and probably about the same for the front.
i.e. the rear Angel GT II A would have given me about 5.5k miles and the rear 6.5-7k.

I swapped early because I'm about to go on the Wrinklies trip (=1k miles), followed by training straight after. I didn't want to be below the legal minimum - it doesn't set a good example to your trainee as you serruptitously scan their steed for issues, whilst yours is showing the carcass.  ::)

I'd say that the IIs haven't lasted quite as well as the original Angels - slightly disapppointing on that aspect, but not disappointed with the grip and ride quality at all - that's still fabulous. Whether it is because of the tyre or a change in use I can't say, but I don't think my riding style has changed much.

£295 per pair, fitted at Wheelhouse Coleshill (actually £325 + £30 Amazon vouhcer), so the price is about the same as previous sets (bar the special offer on Angel IIs last time round).

I'll return in 5-6k miles time and tell you what happens to the new set.

P.S. Does anyone else find fresh tyres are always a comfier ride / better at absorbing the bumps?
Is it having thicker rubber that makes it a more supple ride? Or maybe the material ages after a few thousand miles?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:45:57 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2020, 03:24:52 pm »
Realistically, they'll get changed a little earlier, so we're looking at around 6.5 - 7k for the pair.

P.S. Does anyone else find fresh tyres are always a comfier ride / better at absorbing the bumps?
Is it having thicker rubber that makes it a more supple ride? Or maybe the material ages after a few thousand miles?

I'll tell you post my friday new tyres :). I'll suggest it's the former, that more tread depth equals more movement.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2021, 05:45:47 pm »
I'll return in 5-6k miles time and tell you what happens to the new set.

I changed the front today - at 6,300 miles. It had a whisker left, maybe 200-300 before illegality, but I will be doing 500 miles in the next week, so today was the day to change. As ever, the wear is worst on the right side as you're sat on the bike, due to the camber of UK roads. Or is it my love of right handers? Nah.

Swapped it for another Angel GT II A. Expensive when not purchased as a pair - £151.
Oooh - funny handling on the roundabouts, I'm not dropping in any more! Have to give it a gentle push to turn in with not-triangular tyres - nice.

The rear punctured, unfortunately, so I can't give you a longevity report on that.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 05:47:45 pm by richtea »

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2021, 08:47:32 pm »
As ever, the wear is worst on the right side as you're sat on the bike, due to the camber of UK roads.

I came across an alternative explanation for the fact that the right wears more on UK (and Irish) roads, which sounds much more plausible.

It's the fact that,when riding on the left, every right-hander is longer than every left-hander. So over the lifetime of the tyre, the right hand side has actually travelled further than the left. 

I never did subscribe to the camber theory, the camber isn't that pronounced.

Once i drew out a few examples on paper it looked plausible.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2021, 09:17:32 pm »
Swapped it for another Angel GT II A. Expensive when not purchased as a pair - £151.

Just bought a pair too. For the front, I have the regular one (i.e. not the A variant). Costed (some cents over) 124€. The rear (from another place, so not ordered as a pair) costed (some cents less than) 147€ (I don't know how much the tire's size influences the price)

What I thought was strange : the A variant (with a more rigid frame) was cheaper than the normal variant. As far as I remember, the last time I ordered them, it was just the other way around...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2021, 09:59:48 pm »
Agreed - I've never seen A cheaper than standard.
Good prices you have on the continent.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2021, 10:18:49 pm »
I guess you could order too where I ordered : autoonderdelen.be and bandenleader.be . In fact, the bandenleader.be link : these are tires coming from Andorra, if I remember correctly. So I think they deliver everywhere throughout Europe.

Also note (just to avoid comparing apples to oranges) that the prices I mentioned are without the extra cost to get rid of the old tire (which I estimate at around 5€), and without installation (which I do myself).
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2021, 06:15:12 pm »
I guess you could order too where I ordered : autoonderdelen.be and bandenleader.be.

When you select the UK option the motorbike tab disappears. Hey ho.
There is also the post-Brexit fun of importing from the EU - which rightly has VAT added, but also sometimes a fair chunk of non-specific 'handling' charges. But thanks for the suggestion Philippe.