Author Topic: Posting with quotes  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
Posting with quotes
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:05:43 am »
I've noticed that several posts, at first glance, appear to be simply the attachment of someone else's post in a quotation box. Closer inspection reveals that the new poster has added his own comments, but also in the quotation box. I assume that this is operator error (now waiting for some Demingite to chime in that there's no such thing!) but even Obersturmbannführer Phmode has managed to do something similar and he knows his way round the forum as well, or possibly better, than anyone else. Coul a clever techy person please find a way of ensuring that new posts cannot be added to existing posts and quoted comments?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Posting with quotes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 09:17:18 am »
Just type your comments outside the Quote

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:23:56 am »
So, operator error, Rae? I've never used the quote facility but I'm a great believer in removing the potential for people to foul up, because if the system allows it, they will! :) 

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 11:16:17 am »
I've noticed that several posts, at first glance, appear to be simply the attachment of someone else's post in a quotation box. Closer inspection reveals that the new poster has added his own comments, but also in the quotation box. I assume that this is operator error (now waiting for some Demingite to chime in that there's no such thing!) but even Obersturmbannführer Phmode has managed to do something similar and he knows his way round the forum as well, or possibly better, than anyone else. Coul a clever techy person please find a way of ensuring that new posts cannot be added to existing posts and quoted comments?You could put the response in another colour.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 11:48:07 am »
but even Obersturmbannführer Phmode has managed to do something similar and he knows his way round the forum as well, or possibly better, than anyone else. Coul a clever techy person please find a way of ensuring that new posts cannot be added to existing posts and quoted comments?

The case where I added my comments IN your post was most definitely finger trouble on my part Steve! As an admin (or mod) when I read your post I have additional options over and above what you or another non-admin member has. One of these is the ability to 'modify' anyone's post, not just my own, which is all you can do.

Particularly on an iPad, where I live most of my life, it is merely a few mm of finger error and I am modifying your post instead of replying to it. That becomes obvious when you 'review' the reply prior to sending it. In the case where my big boots trod all over your words, I didn't review the comments before I hit 'post'.

I think part of the problem is caused by someone 'quoting' a person but not wanting to include the whole of the original post in the quote, so they edit it down to the relevant bit and sometimes remove the end quote mark like this [/quote]

If this happens you can also get your comments mingled with the original but I'm sure in that case, the blue 'quote' box disappears.

The nearest thing we have to an intelligent techy type person at the moment seems to be Richard (rich-tea) who is up to his earlobes trying to get us our original smilies back and also claims to have a life, which means he isn't really a techy type person but is still very intelligent ;D

Brian (who just joined an admin forum in a vain attempt to learn something useful  ::) )

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:08:28 pm »
I know; it's easy for a sm*rt*ss to suggest a possible improvement even though he has absolutely no clue how to implement it!
I'll get my coat (or borrow Rae's if he's not using at the moment)

Offline WOK13EE

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT EE
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:39:05 am »
I know; it's easy for a sm*rt*ss to suggest a possible improvement even though he has absolutely no clue how to implement it!
I'll get my coat (or borrow Rae's if he's not using at the moment)

Baha!  Oh for a smiley!

I believe I was once guilty due to ineptitude rather than evil intent. As Brian suggests, probably happened when editing the quote.

Will try harder in future.

BD
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that we learn nothing from the lessons of history

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 02:28:01 pm »
I just comitted the very same sin with your post about horns.

Brian (who tried to be too clever for his own good and cock'ed it right up)