Author Topic: Changing Ron's radiator  (Read 4241 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Changing Ron's radiator
« on: March 27, 2017, 05:26:45 pm »
Ron dropped his bike off yesterday so that the engine could be nice and cold today to check the valve clearances.

All clearances within limits.

The main reason for working on the bike was to fit a new radiator. While we had the bike stripped down a new set of plugs were fitted although they were not really due for changing. I think that corrosion is going to be a big issue on these bikes as can be seen here with the valve cover. It doesn't look like the ACF50 had got to where it should have.

The next service proper is not due for a couple of thousand miles.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Changing Ron's radiator
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 05:45:02 pm »
I hope Ron is crossing your palm with Bank of England drinking vouchers Tom  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 05:48:10 pm »
Ouch!

As if it isn't bad enough to have a radiator full of rot, the cam cover is falling apart to boot  :o

P.S. Ron reckons the cam cover was in perfect nick before Tom got his hands on it  ;D

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 05:55:51 pm »
Paint the rest of it silver, simples !
JS

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 07:01:13 pm »
I'm still waiting for BMW to give me my valve clearance numbers.  I expect I'll be out of look.

Anyway, that's a fun looking bike lift!  Is it all manual and nice and can I have one?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 07:30:39 pm »

Anyway, that's a fun looking bike lift!  Is it all manual and nice and can I have one?
Anyone we know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQqPjkKn01A

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 10:39:45 pm »

Anyone we know
That is one sad dude. Look at the size of that top box!!!

How come that he had the sense to fit a Sargent seat?

Yup that is an Easyrizer Big Blue bike lift. Just the job for working on the K.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 06:16:44 am »

Anyone we know

Are you like Brian not a lover of the top box? Especially boxes where you can rent them out and make a good return.  ;D

After many years of commuting through London's narrow streets initially on a VF500 with panniers I found them too restrictive when squeezing through small gaps so went down the top box route.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 08:04:05 am »

Anyone we know

Are you like Brian not a lover of the top box? Especially boxes where you can rent them out and make a good return.  ;D

After many years of commuting through London's narrow streets initially on a VF500 with panniers I found them too restrictive when squeezing through small gaps so went down the top box route.

After many years of commuting through London streets on a K1300S I survive very well with Kriega US20 tail pack on the pillion seat. I'd never touch a top box. Totally unnecessary, do bugger all for the looks of the bike and are detrimental to both handling and stability.

Looks like Ron's valve clearances were pretty much spot on!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 08:38:10 am »
What type of radiator was eventually installed? 13 or 16 ?
Embrace the wind.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 11:40:29 am »
Part number c17.11.7.699.517.
I assume it is a 13s radiator.
Costas don't tell me the 16 would have been better and/or cheaper.
The rad has a two year warrantee so I don't think it would apply if a 16 had been fitted.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 12:17:08 pm »
The part is warranted for two years. If it rots, you take it off, take it back and they give you another one  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 12:26:41 pm »

Anyone we know

After many years of commuting through London streets on a K1300S I survive very well with Kriega US20 tail pack on the pillion seat. I'd never touch a top box. Totally unnecessary, do bugger all for the looks of the bike and are detrimental to both handling and stability.

Looks like Ron's valve clearances were pretty much spot on!

I know some site moderators who would ban this topic; it comes up every time some of you intolerant sods even see a picture of a topbox  ;D

Those of us who choose to run a Sargent seat with pillion Pod (like that sad dude) might find it a tad difficult to use a tail pack on the pillion seat.

Those of us who choose to run a pillion passenger might find it even more difficult.

Brian (who commuted into London perfectly satisfactorily for years with nothing more than a courier bag over his shoulder on the 0715 from Basingstoke  8) )

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 12:42:53 pm »
Part number c17.11.7.699.517.
I assume it is a 13s radiator.
Costas don't tell me the 16 would have been better and/or cheaper.
The rad has a two year warrantee so I don't think it would apply if a 16 had been fitted.
That bloody spell checker again Ron  ;D

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 01:06:51 pm »
We'll the 16 rad costs less money here sorry, only 54€ less..
All parts purchased fm an official dealer come with the official 2years warranty..
As for the Sargent seat can recommend two options if someone needs to travel with pillion and a big bag. First the 55lit capacity by BMW Motorrad,  this although its a huge bag fits and seats perfectly in the tail and can acomodate a lot. Then comes the t_bag a US product (Excellent brand) expentable fm 24 to 34lit that is secured in the pillion supporter (if you have it) and sets in the tail, the late is excellent and doesn't create the light steering effect so obvious when the huge oem bag is fully loaded.
Embrace the wind.