Author Topic: Cross border warranty  (Read 12863 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Cross border warranty
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 03:24:05 pm »
Silly me.  ::)

Who is the warranty with? Is it a dealers warranty or a BMW warranty? Who issued the warranty paperwork?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 BMW k1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Puig screen, rear hugger
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 03:33:28 pm »
Silly me.  ::)

Who is the warranty with? Is it a dealers warranty or a BMW warranty? Who issued the warranty paperwork?

The warranty is a BMW one so I assumed (incorrectly) that it'd be fine in Ireland. Even the dealer said it would be but to be fair to him, it would be if I kept it on UK plates.
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 03:45:14 pm »
If it was me I would take it in and expect them to fit a new final drive. The seals normally go when the bearings go.

If they ask for payment I would tell them that it is less than two years old, which they will know, and it is still under warranty with BMW. If they have a problem they need to take it up with BMW.

My 2 year warranty expires next month and I noticed that the paint is bubbling on the final drive. Took it to the local dealer, where I didn't buy the bike from and they took photos of number plate, odometer and final drive. I'm waiting for a call for me to take it in for a new final drive, after BMW has given the go ahead.

My one is 7 years old this year. I bought it used in October.

Sorry, does this mean your bike is 7 years old and that the warranty is not the original manufacturers warranty? If so, then I can understand that as the the "extra" warranty is an insurance policy and thus very different.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 03:50:28 pm »
Correct, apologies if I didn't mention that before, probably would've saved some confusion  ;D I bought the bike used but with a 24 month BMW warranty. It's a 2010 model
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 03:51:10 pm »
Now we are getting something. It sounds like a retailer two years warranty offered to a used bike, not an official BMW one, my guess to this apply the same regulations similar to the extended warranty offered to UK only.
Embrace the wind.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 03:53:38 pm »
Now we are getting something. It sounds like a retailer two years warranty offered to a used bike, not an official BMW one, my guess to this apply the same regulations similar to the extended warranty offered to UK only.

It's an official BMW warranty, not the retailers. 
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 04:28:28 pm »
Look if it's a  official one then you're covered as stated above worldwide,  for this to apply the dealer or the retailer has to take the sale though the BMW official channel something they do not always do, this can be clarified with the purchase contract. Dealers often claim that it's official cause they are an official dealer but they simply offer a warranty that only this specific dealer offers and only for works for repairs done at his premises,  investigate further.
Embrace the wind.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 04:32:38 pm »
Look if it's a  official one then you're covered as stated above worldwide,  for this to apply the dealer or the retailer has to take the sale though the BMW official channel something they do not always do, this can be clarified with the purchase contract. Dealers often claim that it's official cause they are an official dealer but they simply offer a warranty that only this specific dealer offers and only for works for repairs done at his premises,  investigate further.

Will do :D thanks for all your advice
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 05:00:44 pm »
Minefield? Wot minefield?

Just think, we have the original manufacturer's warranty, the 'official' BMW 'approved used' warranty and a slightly dodgy 'dealer warranty' (the warranty, not necessarily the dealer) and that's without the extended warranty  ::)

Brian (who wonders, Honda anyone  ;D )

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 05:12:39 pm »
Am afraid they all do that.
Embrace the wind.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 01:01:45 pm »
Another update for anybody that is still interested in this.

I contacted a solicitor friend of mine. He thought the whole thing was rather messy and couldn't really understand why a Cross Border Sale would matter so much. He suggested pricing a new Irish warranty and asking the UK dealer to pay the price in full as opposed to the £250 they offered me.

I'm only after getting off the phone with BMW and it looks like I've potentially gotten somewhere. The price of a new warranty, with no excess, is €600. That's for 12 months not 24 as Ireland only offer 12 month warranty. The £250 the UK dealer offered me would cover less than half of this (£250 = €290 roughly). However, the two BMW staff I was speaking to were extremely helpful (John Keary and Craig, a credit to the company, couldn't have been more accommodating). The last time I rang I got a guy that took my details and never contacted me again. They're going to contact the UK dealer directly. According to them the usual solution in this case is for the dealer to pay the full price of the Irish warranty. BMW have taken over at this stage, they're contacting Kearys in Cork and the UK dealer to try and sort it for me. I was told that if I had a warranty worth £2000 but only used 6 months of it then normally the dealer would reimburse me £1500 so hopefully I at least get my new warranty paid for.

Interestingly enough one of the guys I was speaking told me that this isn't an issue with cars as we fall under the same catchment area. For whatever reason the bikes differ ??? Hopefully I hear some good news within a day or two.
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 01:35:42 pm »
Yes we are interested. Keep us updated.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2017, 02:56:13 pm »
Looks like you are getting somewhere now. Keep us informed.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline midlife crisis

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2017, 03:13:11 pm »
i'm interested hope the positive keeps on coming

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2017, 03:41:42 pm »
So it's gonna be under warranty but the money have to go the other side. So complicated system, only a Briton can understand..........
Embrace the wind.