Author Topic: Cross border warranty  (Read 12864 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Cross border warranty
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 05:15:20 pm »
Could it be true? So much deferance? As said before during my posts in many EU and non EU countries (even in Croatia, at its birth dates) both car and motorcycle were fully covered, yes had to pay labour but only that.

But, did you change the registration of your vehicle from Greek to, say, Italian?

Luke bought the bike in England where it was obviously UK registered and then, when he got it to Ireland (the southern bit of the island, not the northern bit) he then had to 'import' it and re-register it as an Irish vehicle. If he had lived in the north there would be no problem. At least not with his warranty  ;D

Brian (who thinks this cross-border nonesense needs a sensible legal eagle to cast their beady eye over it)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 05:16:06 pm »
I would still put in a call to a decent solicitor. It all sounds very dodgy to me.

This!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 08:00:49 pm »
'This' what?

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 05:26:02 am »
'This' what?

I would still put in a call to a decent solicitor. It all sounds very dodgy to me.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 BMW k1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Puig screen, rear hugger
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 09:16:55 am »
Cheers for all the input lads. It does indeed sound a bit dodge. My understanding of it from talking to other dealers, BMW themselves, trainers and general people in the know, is that it all boils downs to the re-registration. There's no real issue with the warranty in a sense, it still covers me for 24 months, if I'm on UK plates.

But, did you change the registration of your vehicle from Greek to, say, Italian?

Luke bought the bike in England where it was obviously UK registered and then, when he got it to Ireland (the southern bit of the island, not the northern bit) he then had to 'import' it and re-register it as an Irish vehicle. If he had lived in the north there would be no problem. At least not with his warranty  ;D

Brian (who thinks this cross-border nonesense needs a sensible legal eagle to cast their beady eye over it)

Nail on the head there fair play to ya. It's an interesting (annoying) thing to know now, hopefully this will help anybody looking to buy abroad in the future. I might get a buddy of mine to have a look over it if he has time but it seems like a fairly set rule.
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 10:06:53 am »
Well went to my dealer and asked his legal representation what is going on , his reply* bullocks the brqits are doing it wrong, warranty as long as it still within the 2 years of purchase is worldwide same goes for parts used in any bike, tell your guy go to court*.
Embrace the wind.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 10:37:48 am »
Well went to my dealer and asked his legal representation what is going on , his reply* bullocks the brqits are doing it wrong, warranty as long as it still within the 2 years of purchase is worldwide same goes for parts used in any bike, tell your guy go to court*.

Ya but it was second hand ? I didn't buy a new bike, I bought a BMW approved used bike and changed the reg. The warranty is still perfect, for two years, worldwide, no problem ....... if I hadn't changed the country of registration. That's where the confusion lies.
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 10:41:57 am »
Changing the country of registration under EU rules means nothing as far as warranty and BMW s obligations  are concerned.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 10:47:49 am »
Changing the country of registration under EU rules means nothing as far as warranty and BMW s obligations  are concerned.

Apparently (unfortunately), it does ;D
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 11:18:57 am »

Ya but it was second hand ? I didn't buy a new bike, I bought a BMW approved used bike and changed the reg. The warranty is still perfect, for two years, worldwide, no problem ....... if I hadn't changed the country of registration. That's where the confusion lies.
Acoarding to his statement nothing defers no matter if its a new, used or even single parts used for a repair , warranty is a warranty offered by manufacturer, dealers and local athorities have nothing to do with it they simply must comply.
Embrace the wind.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 11:29:20 am »
Ya I see what you're saying. In my mind the warranty should count even if I'm on Irish plates, I'd considered it a European warranty but apparently a cross border sale affects things. I've been in contact with numerous BMW staff in both Ireland and the UK and they've all told me the same thing, change the plates, change the warranty  :-\ They've sympathized to be fair to them but it sounds like something they've dealt with before. It's something I'll know in the future.
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:07 am »
Ya I see what you're saying. In my mind the warranty should count even if I'm on Irish plates, I'd considered it a European warranty but apparently a cross border sale affects things. I've been in contact with numerous BMW staff in both Ireland and the UK and they've all told me the same thing, change the plates, change the warranty  :-\ They've sympathized to be fair to them but it sounds like something they've dealt with before. It's something I'll know in the future.

I would want to hear this from an independent legal expert and not someone in BMW who:

a) probably don't know what the law is;
b) have chosen this route because it makes life (for them) easier;

I've had too many "company representatives" tell me what is and isn't legal when they've then subsequently been shown to be completely wrong to have any faith in what "company representatives" say.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 11:45:32 am »

I would want to hear this from an independent legal expert and not someone in BMW who:

a) probably don't know what the law is;
b) have chosen this route because it makes life (for them) easier;

I've had too many "company representatives" tell me what is and isn't legal when they've then subsequently been shown to be completely wrong to have any faith in what "company representatives" say.

Ya I'm waiting to hear back from a friend to see if he has time to give it a quick glance and tell me what he thinks from the limited information.
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 12:49:24 pm »
If it was me I would take it in and expect them to fit a new final drive. The seals normally go when the bearings go.

If they ask for payment I would tell them that it is less than two years old, which they will know, and it is still under warranty with BMW. If they have a problem they need to take it up with BMW.

My 2 year warranty expires next month and I noticed that the paint is bubbling on the final drive. Took it to the local dealer, where I didn't buy the bike from and they took photos of number plate, odometer and final drive. I'm waiting for a call for me to take it in for a new final drive, after BMW has given the go ahead.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 12:55:06 pm »
If it was me I would take it in and expect them to fit a new final drive. The seals normally go when the bearings go.

If they ask for payment I would tell them that it is less than two years old, which they will know, and it is still under warranty with BMW. If they have a problem they need to take it up with BMW.

My 2 year warranty expires next month and I noticed that the paint is bubbling on the final drive. Took it to the local dealer, where I didn't buy the bike from and they took photos of number plate, odometer and final drive. I'm waiting for a call for me to take it in for a new final drive, after BMW has given the go ahead.

My one is 7 years old this year. I bought it used in October.
--- Forza Vale ---