Author Topic: The BMW Dash Evolution  (Read 2309 times)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
The BMW Dash Evolution
« on: September 03, 2020, 07:48:31 am »
Boop

So ignoring the idiot's assumptions about size and model choice (because sure it makes sense after standardising the dashes across much of the range to then do the opposite) it looks like a good evolution of the first version I have.

I knew they'd find something to tempt me into becoming a regular flipping BMW buyer!

I am pretty happy with my turn by turn version though.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
Re: The BMW Dash Evolution
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 12:22:42 pm »
Looks like the days of Sat Navs are slowly going to die out. 

I loved the standard dash on my 1250GSA. That’s probably what sold it to me, just gone back to a Triple Black S1000XR and the dash does feel a bit of a step back in comparison.

The “Sport” dash on the new XR and other models takes up another level again, showing lean angle, braking and accelerating forces etc

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 12:29:09 pm by Belco100 »

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 12:34:30 pm »
Oh yes, I have to wait until I can open the app to see that lean and G force history on my 1250GS :). Might be more sensible that way perhaps!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 01:15:09 pm »
I'm always wary of manufacturers incorporating additional functionality like this into their vehicles.  There always tends to be an expensive catch somewhere in the wider ownership process where upgrading versions of software or reference data (or whatever) means you end up paying way more than simply buying the same functionality (often better!) independently.  The previous BMW sat navs (badged Garmins with much of the useful functionality removed) being a perfect case in point.

Additionally,  with the ever changing options on the internet it can often be useful to have different functions running from different applications at the same time. TomTom for real time routing and Waze for police "safety zone" updates.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 01:36:43 pm »
The “Sport” dash on the new XR and other models takes up another level again, showing lean angle, braking and accelerating forces etc

I think we had this discussion about a month ago, no?
I don't mind keeping an eye on Quartararo's for him from the sofa, but when I'm out in Actual Reality(tm) I'll mostly be looking forwards, not down at a dash.

The main advantage a TFT can give is to simplify the information right down to what's pertinent at that particular moment.

What would be sweet is to avoid lock-in, as David is alluding to, by having a universal connector to plug your own choice of display in. Fat chance.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 02:01:14 pm »
Yeah I assume we'll end up with the worst of both. Locked in, and software updates akin to Android and Apple where they 'take advantage of the newer hardware' but release to old hardware and then it performs badly and you buy a new phone to avoid the hassle. Except a 10k bikes instead :/.

So yeah. Aftermarket dials time then!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 06:07:59 pm »
The days when I thought lean angle was a) relevant and b) big are long gone.

The days when I need a clinometer to tell me exactly what angle I was at in the hairpin are way off in the future and I will have fallen over/off many times by then and some sensible person will have removed the keys from my cold, dead hand.

This approaching car bollox with driver's doing nothing about reality and merely playing games/music/the field.

Count me out.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 06:19:30 pm »
Wonder how much data is stored in the background.  Can see the boys in blue and insurance claims assessors  being interested in some of that data. Purely for research purposes  ::)