Author Topic: Sidecar stuff - sort of technical  (Read 1820 times)

Offline johnnybnix

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R and Blade Sport Sidecar. R1200R solo.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: With custom sidecar. And now with Bestem carbon air intakes and prototype rear hugger in carbon. Oberon clutch slave cylinder.
Sidecar stuff - sort of technical
« on: January 23, 2021, 10:43:37 am »
Sidecars Part 1 - Introduction

Sidecars Part 2 - Hub Centric Steering - ‘Take One’
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:46:01 pm by richtea »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: Sidecar stuff - sort of technical
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 01:48:44 pm »
What a great read  :) :) :), for all sorts of reasons ranging from adjustments look to be on par with a Rubik Cube  :o too one has to have a passion in life...no matter what it is.

My late father never learned to drive a car till his early 40’s so i’ve Done more that a few miles on various combo’s, and from a modern day angle my mates little boy got pretty dam good racing bikes so i’ve Seen some modern day tech up close and personnel  ;D, and still chuckle when I think back to my days on an outside unit, cuz as soon as conversation around to compression/rebound and preload they were normally gone within 30 seconds  ;)

So well done to you sir...look forward to the next instalment and jeez that Busa looked good.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 02:34:50 pm »
Brilliant article and well written John and despite being just round the corner, Covid has conspired to stop me from seeing it in the flesh.

As I've said before my first ever ride on a motorbike was on an outfit. My dad's uncle had a wooden leg (as you did post war, but he eventually got an upgrade to a tin one  :) ) and he couldn't afford a car so he had a chair bolted to the side of his bike and off he went.

He would often ride down from Wigan and whisk me away for an hour or two, no helmets, no protective anything apart from a couple of pairs of goggles and we would always stop at The Saracen's Head for a shandy or two, sitting in the car park listening to it tick and crack as it cooled down. I have no idea what the bike was but in my young schoolboy mind it used to fly along those empty Cheshire lanes of yore.

Too much of a compromise for me but the sight of the beasts squirrelling through Ginger Hall at the TT always made my hair stand on end and think of Uncle Dick  8)

Offline johnnybnix

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R and Blade Sport Sidecar. R1200R solo.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: With custom sidecar. And now with Bestem carbon air intakes and prototype rear hugger in carbon. Oberon clutch slave cylinder.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 09:49:21 pm »
Thank you Richard for your help including posting Part 2, in the above first post.  Like most of us I guess, the outfit is under wraps waiting for the ‘all clear’.  Bring to on....

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 09:06:28 am »
Awesome... mental... wonderful!!
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!