Author Topic: Blackbird bye bye  (Read 3780 times)

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
Blackbird bye bye
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:46:48 pm »
Before I was enticed into the Beemer fold I had the usual plethora of Jap two wheels. By far the best in my opinion were my Blackbirds.

No. 1.  Unfortunately dropped a valve on the M62 just outside Wakefield and exploded in a rather fine and arty display of smoke and oil! Sorry no pics of this but when the lads at the garage called me to go and have a shufty at the now removed engine they all had a rather long laugh at my expense as I gazed at the sad and forlorn lump of molten metal. However I had enjoyed it so much that a replacement was ordered immediately.
No. 2.   Served me well for many years although much abused.
Here she be with the obligatory  pussy deterrent standing rather sitting guard keeping an eye on things.

And here she is after being more abused in the south of France.

I was doing some advanced training over there one summer leading the group, pointing out the large diesel slick to all behind when I should have been concentrating on my riding and down she went only coming to a rest by the Armco with a 200 foot drop on the other side.
Picked her up threw away the broken bits got the old gaffer tape out and she started up again. Only problem was the left foot peg had sheared off so had to ride all the way back to the hotel with my foot resting on the exhaust. Trifle hot I can tell you.

Got her repaired this time and kept her for a long time until the insidious tentacles of BMW started to entice me into its lair!

BBB
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:48:28 pm by bobtail »
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Blackbird bye bye
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:54:51 pm »
Nice!

I can see the attraction of a BB having come from a CBR1000.

I'm rather surprised that you carried RED duct tape with a black bike! Or did you go out and buy the red just to show off your prowess?

Brian (who is now reminded to go and buy black duct tape to replace the blue and white he currently carries  ::)  )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 03:35:02 pm »
Mine was blue , pity have no pics. And it took me all the way to northern Europe . Before burning the coils.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 04:21:09 pm »
Before I was enticed into the Beemer fold I had the usual plethora of Jap two wheels. By far the best in my opinion were my Blackbirds.

No. 1.  Unfortunately dropped a valve on the M62 just outside Wakefield and exploded in a rather fine and arty display of smoke and oil! Sorry no pics of this but when the lads at the garage called me to go and have a shufty at the now removed engine they all had a rather long laugh at my expense as I gazed at the sad and forlorn lump of molten metal. However I had enjoyed it so much that a replacement was ordered immediately.
No. 2.   Served me well for many years although much abused.
Here she be with the obligatory  pussy deterrent standing rather sitting guard keeping an eye on things.

And here she is after being more abused in the south of France.

I was doing some advanced training over there one summer leading the group, pointing out the large diesel slick to all behind when I should have been concentrating on my riding and down she went only coming to a rest by the Armco with a 200 foot drop on the other side.
Picked her up threw away the broken bits got the old gaffer tape out and she started up again. Only problem was the left foot peg had sheared off so had to ride all the way back to the hotel with my foot resting on the exhaust. Trifle hot I can tell you.

Got her repaired this time and kept her for a long time until the insidious tentacles of BMW started to entice me into its lair!

BBB

When I first saw the photos I thought that the tape was some sort of elaborate defence against stone chips.  Then I read the blurb.  I'll get me coat.........
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:37:30 pm »
Listen, there are enough stoopid sorts in here, most of us are admins  :(

Yer banned....for the good of the innocent ones!

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 09:19:47 pm »
Listen, there are enough stoopid sorts in here, most of us are admins  :(

Yer banned....for the good of the innocent ones!

Punishment accepted Sir!
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright