Author Topic: Sat Nav Mount ?  (Read 12698 times)

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
Re: Sat Nav Mount ?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 01:59:56 am »
Some nice handy work by PaulC and some other useful ideas. Thanks one and all. My Bike Electrician used a NN's get round Canbus lead plug today to use the auxillary power socket located at the front of the battery. He neatly wired sat nav and autocom into same, guess what NN's lead appeared to fail as once ignition switched off cables to Autocom and Sat Nav stayed live ! Solution fit a wired switch under seat and turn on when needed. If not he estimates two days and battery will drain. There is an awful lot of electronic gubinns on this bike with more ECu's and Brains than Thunderbird 1 ! Dread to think what these bikes will be like for  the later owners in 10- 15 years plus time. Will they be a viable proposition ?

JS

Before you blame the lead, the sat nav plug intentionally stays live for approx 30 seconds or is it a minute, cant remember,after ignition is off, but if its staying on indefinitely then I doubt its the lead that failed, its either your mount or the way it was wired. There should be 3 leads on the NN cable marked 1,2 and 3.  No 2 should NOT be used, 1 is Earth and 3 is live. A dealer did once tell me that certain Sat Nav mounts can cause the plug to stay live, but Im not sure whether that was just to try and make people buy the stupidly over-priced Nav IV or V.

Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 09:14:30 am »
Timbox, Thanks for the info. The Autocom lead stayed live as well, we tested them  over a long period. I presume the Canbus brain is keeping them on ?

JS
JS

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 09:24:13 am »
The sat nav circuit stays live for 1 Minute after switched off unless as you say JS there is enough current draw to keep it alive.
I never have a problem with this as when I'm done for the day I take the sat nav off of the bike.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 11:50:15 am »
There are two 'live' wires on that connector! One turns off the sat nav with the ignition, the other delays the turn-off for up to a couple of minutes; perfect if you want to grab your waterproofs from the pannier but don't want to lose your sat nav feed, although mine promptly turns off when you re-start the bike.

All you need to do is change the feed from one wire to the unused one! Simples!

Brian (who has the wiring somewhere on his PC and will post it up if he remembers)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »
Brian, Would appreciate the diagram when you have the time, thanks

JS

GT had upgraded Horn yesterday now it has a deep pitched shell shaped Horn and a higher pitched twin plus the original all wired up and make a great sound in unison. I do not use same aggresively I find them a great head turner just with a zappy like blast. So many dicks on phones and hurtling towards stop signs and give ways I find a loud audible warning a must plus moving the bike along the line of sight, headlamps, sensible approach speed and cover the brakes as well. I have always believed in riding a bike with a bit of purpose. If you look a bit of a threat dippy drivers (Not all) tend to take a bit of notice. If you are prepared to go along with the flow and stay in the background  I think you tend to merge into said background and become hard to define.

JS
JS

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 07:53:22 pm »
They might if survive corrosion....... :o
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 12:22:02 am »
Here are some piccies and wiring instructions for the canbus Sat Nav plug on K12/13 bikes.

The plug is to be found under the battery cover, normally tie-wrapped to the frame. It is black and looks like this:

Here is the connector cable that you can order at your dealer. BMW Part number is 90 000 611 656. Also available from Nippy Normans etc.

The three wires are numbered 1 through 3, bottom to top in photo above.

Wire 1 =  Earth, ground, whatever you choose to call it.
Wire 2 = +12v On and off with ignition.
Wire 3 = +12v Direct on with ignition and delayed by 1 minute after ignition is switched off. Time delay varies depending on bike, weather, day of week etc.

Nippy Normans instructions urge one not to use one of the wires but most of us have got the sat nav wired between 1 and  2 or 3 depending if we want the delay or not. No issues reported so far!

Enjoy!

Brian (who used to be an illektrizun, but now he can't spell it  :o )

PS Don't know where I got these piccies from but wherever it was, I hereby credit the originator. If anyone recognises the photos or the thumb, do let me know the name and I shall gladly give real credit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:24:27 am by Phmode »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 12:27:31 am »
This should really be in the Sat Nav section but I think only Rae has successfully moved things around in here so if he feels up to it, I shall leave it to him  ;D

Brian (who would if he could, but he can't so he won't  ::) )

Offline WOK13EE

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT EE
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 11:28:06 am »
Brian, Would appreciate the diagram when you have the time, thanks

JS

GT had upgraded Horn yesterday now it has a deep pitched shell shaped Horn and a higher pitched twin plus the original all wired up and make a great sound in unison. I do not use same aggresively I find them a great head turner just with a zappy like blast. So many dicks on phones and hurtling towards stop signs and give ways I find a loud audible warning a must plus moving the bike along the line of sight, headlamps, sensible approach speed and cover the brakes as well. I have always believed in riding a bike with a bit of purpose. If you look a bit of a threat dippy drivers (Not all) tend to take a bit of notice. If you are prepared to go along with the flow and stay in the background  I think you tend to merge into said background and become hard to define.

JS

Faultless riding philosophy JS.

Love the "sound" of your horn.

Pity we live so far apart; otherwise I would be asking you ..pretty please...to help me upgrade the pathetic beep! beep! On my GT.

Last time I was in the Derby area (March 2010) was to buy and collect little Lottie from her dysfunctional home where she was bullied by four other canines.

Any info on the horn conversion that you can provide would be much appreciated.

BD (who would then elicite the assistance of ....)  Brain (who could rewire and F111 before lunch)

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that we learn nothing from the lessons of history

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 12:37:52 pm »
and as if by magic, it's here
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:47:19 am by raesewell »

Offline WOK13EE

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT EE
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 01:40:14 pm »

Nice job.  Your mount plus 660 = ££ saving against Voyager wit.h built in cradle.  If only you had gone into production

I'm happy to make something if you provide some drawings. So long as you don't mind waiting (probably a long time) as SWMBO has a BIG list of jobs. I need the brownie points as I'm off to the Alps in June and maybe Spain in September. However, the offer is there if you can wait.

That ship has already sailed for me Paul, I have the BMW mount (which, in fairness, I find excellent) with my previously purchased 660 from my RS.   Had I seen yours first........

Enjoy the Alps.  I have crosses the St Bernard (col)  a few times and the excellent Furka and less interesting Simplon once.  This leaves a few left to do.

BD
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that we learn nothing from the lessons of history

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 01:43:08 pm »
That was quick action
Let us all propose Rae for the position of the mighty MERLIN, hm and then how are we going to name Brian?
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 02:12:32 pm »

Too clever by 'alf my friend.

Brian (who wondered where it had gone  :o )

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 02:16:11 pm »
That was quick action
Let us all propose Rae for the position of the mighty MERLIN, hm and then how are we going to name Brian?

'God Almightly' will do for all you mere mortals out there  8)

God Almighty (who thinks 'Sir' will suffice if one is of a religious disposition)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 02:22:48 pm »

Faultless riding philosophy JS.

Love the "sound" of your horn....

....Any info on the horn conversion that you can provide would be much appreciated.

BD (who would then elicite the assistance of ....)  Brain (who could rewire and F111 before lunch)
[/quote]

It is much easier than falling off a log. Mine was difficult to hear even if I had just run over you!

I bought two-tone horns, snail shaped thingies. One replaced the original. I made a simple bracket for the off-side of the bike and mounted it in a similar position. Needed a hole drilled in something, hopefully not important; perhaps the A frame or the radiator, can't remember  ::)

Just jumped the original wires onto piggyback spade connectors and draped a second set of cables accross the top of the radiator shroud to the nearside. Viola, in instant musical cacophony.

Brian (whose only regret is that the bike stops dead everytime I barp the horns as they throw so much sound out the front)

PS I promised somone on the old site that I would take piccies when the side panels were next off and so far they haven't been, but I will next time I do, honest!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:25:28 pm by Phmode »