Author Topic: The First salt hits the roads  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
The First salt hits the roads
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:36:23 pm »
All downhill from here, literally, as I live at the top of a hill
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: The First salt hits the roads
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:39:06 pm »
Think positive, at least you won't get flooded out this winter  8)

Brian (who had 'Must be at top of hill' at the top of his list of requirements for his house)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:20:10 am »
Only one recommendation, wash radiator after every single ride, until April.
Embrace the wind.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:03:24 am »
My MC's are tucked up now really until April. My Burgman, protected all round by ACF50 will venture out only in appropriate conditions. I do like to keep my hand in over winter by going out on the bike as it keeps the skills up. I have see some "Rusty Riding" when a biker comes out of hibernation in Spring.

JS
JS

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 10:13:18 am »
Compared to most of the rusty riding I see every day, I think the spring shoots are the least of anyone's worries.

I followed a guy the other day and he was all over the road; not changing lane position to get a better view ahead, just meandering all over the show. He managed one dodgy overtake without indicating, had no idea I was in his rear view mirror and nearly 5#|+ himself when I popped past prior to a roundabout.

I really shouldn't have overtaken there but I didn't want to get tangled up in his meanderings. Had he been on a pizza delivery battlecruiser I would have understood, but this git was on a 'busa, no gloves, ankle boots and jeans and his jacket flapping around.

Brian (who should carry a can of WD40 for eejits like him  ;D )

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 01:27:47 pm »
Compared to most of the rusty riding I see every day, I think the spring shoots are the least of anyone's worries.

I followed a guy the other day and he was all over the road; not changing lane position to get a better view ahead, just meandering all over the show. He managed one dodgy overtake without indicating, had no idea I was in his rear view mirror and nearly 5#|+ himself when I popped past prior to a roundabout.

I really shouldn't have overtaken there but I didn't want to get tangled up in his meanderings. Had he been on a pizza delivery battlecruiser I would have understood, but this git was on a 'busa, no gloves, ankle boots and jeans and his jacket flapping around.

Brian (who should carry a can of WD40 for eejits like him  ;D )

Funnily enough Brian a mate of mine (Rospa Gold Tutor) has similar on the A5 out of Llangollen with a 'Busa. Said mate was on a BMW K1 which shouldn't have had a look in with the 'Busa but it was ridden so poorly he said behind mesmerised by the inexperience of it. When he eventually went past it the guy on the Suzuki jumped out of skin as he'd not checked his mirrors for miles.
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 12:15:00 pm »
When he eventually went past it the guy on the Suzuki jumped out of skin as he'd not checked his mirrors for miles.

And that's not a good idea in North Wales...

I've seen similar of such poor riding - that I've wanted to stop them and tell them they NEED to go and get advanced training. When I can keep up with a sports bike and I'm in the car, and not even trying, that tells me "all is not well in the state of Denmark"

Talking of bad riding/driving - almost a crash today when the transit long wheel base tried ot move from lane 1 to lane 2 on the M1 north of Nottingham. If he'd bothered to look beside him, he might have noticed the Volvo XC90 sitting there. An almost into contact and much manoeuvring from the transit pilot to avoid collision. All ne had to do was glance to the right - it was right beside him, slightly in front... What hope for motorbikes when they can't even see something as large as that
Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 03:50:40 pm »
In winder always make some time to read and watch Keith Code. Believe all riders need to do that as repetition makes perfection.
There is no hope with many riders and riders, afraid that many should be kept away fm anything with wheels, but we do not live in an ideal world.
Assertive we must always be before anything else extremely assertive.
Embrace the wind.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 09:30:01 pm »
Friday. 1000 feet up on Bodmin moor. Raining. 4 degrees. This morning -3.5degrees but at least it wasn't raining. Freezing fog. Salt? Yeah was covered on it by the time I got to London. Its getting a teensy bit hardcore out there

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 08:27:17 am »
Friday. 1000 feet up on Bodmin moor. Raining. 4 degrees. This morning -3.5degrees but at least it wasn't raining. Freezing fog. Salt? Yeah was covered on it by the time I got to London. Its getting a teensy bit hardcore out there

I take my hat off to you Sir  :D I refused to learn to drive a car till my mid twenties which is a story in its self but I haven't forgotten those 9 years before which included crossing Europe in the dead of winter without any of today's poncy gear but jeez I couldn't do it now,Le-Mans in April is about as tough as we can handle :-[

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 01:50:02 pm »
I remember doing the Dragon Rally on my Triumph wearing a waxed cotton Barbour jacket and jeans. Must have been mad.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 04:05:58 pm »

I take my hat off to you Sir  :D I refused to learn to drive a car till my mid twenties which is a story in its self but I haven't forgotten those 9 years before which included crossing Europe in the dead of winter without any of today's poncy gear but jeez I couldn't do it now,Le-Mans in April is about as tough as we can handle :-[

I reckon Im moving more towards Southampton in July. Cant do it anymore, and it pains me to say that its not even down to getting wet and cold, its having to keep cleaning the bike and trying to stop the salt corroding everything in sight, I know, Im officially a wuss ;D
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 05:18:35 pm »
You need to treat your bike with ACF50 Tim.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 05:46:15 pm »
Or buy a Ducati!

Brian (who understands they come pre-treated; with corrosion)

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 06:56:50 pm »
 :D :D :D :D :D
Embrace the wind.