Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 25503 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Brake pads
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2019, 06:02:46 pm »
Reviving this long threat to ask for a bit of information. This is for OEM front pads.

It seems there are two part numbers:

This is what I thought was the correct part.

But I also found:
THis is also advertised as being the correct BMW part number for the front brake pads.

Does anyone know the difference? Are they the same?

I can buy the latter new for a fraction of the price, and wanted to make sure I am keeping the same stopping power.

Thanks

The late is the correct number . The first no is an old no used in usa.
Embrace the wind.

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2019, 01:53:13 pm »
Have you checked on Realoem?
The late is the correct number . The first no is an old no used in usa.

Hum, strange. RealOEM says that 34118395858 is the part number, which supersedes 34117690170 and 34117658386. This seems the opposite of what Costas said.

And 34118534183 (which is the one I just got) is supposed to be for the S (and I have a R). Does this mean the brakes pads are not the same between the R and the S?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:57:33 pm by paulotex »

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2019, 06:06:43 pm »
Pads appear to be the same in dimensions but they are different in composition and grams.
Those for an S are heavier and there is no problem using them for an R. Only OEM separates them.
All other brands make the same pads for all S and R .
TRW has a different rear one for 1200 fm the 1300 since the gap is smaller , still a 1300 can use both but the 1200 cant simply cause they do not fit.
An not talking about the diverse composition and materials used for pads by brands resulting on offering with the same code 3 or 4 different pads. As you know those differences exist in various forms to satisfy all costumers , use and do not forget in many cases countries legislation.
What matters is the composition. Experience and many tests demonstrated gain and again that for the discs used the best result comes with OEM.
Personally I cannot justify someone's decision to try something else destroying the brake performance in the vehicle that has the best brake in the world. At the same moment not many will rich the maximum brake performance and are satisfied enough with any kind of pads. It's allowed by a K bike simply cause its a K and stops always in time..
Embrace the wind.

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2019, 05:02:28 pm »
Pads appear to be the same in dimensions but they are different in composition and grams.
Those for an S are heavier and there is no problem using them for an R. Only OEM separates them.

Strangely, this is not what I found out :-(. The new pads I got (34118534183) are a bit taller, so that the top hole for the fixating pin does not align properly on my R. I am trying to return them to the ebay seller I got them from.

In the next two pictures, my old pad is on top of the new pad. If the holes are aligned (top picture, on the left), then the bottom of the new pad is longer.

If the bottom of the pads are aligned (right of the picture), then the holes don't align.

Unless anyone is interested? I got the pair for £55 inside the original BMW plastic bag. They are part number 34118534183, which I believe to be the front pads for the K1300S. Just let me know if you are interested.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2019, 05:43:41 pm »
I think the CL sites says their pads are made compatible with OEM discs.
I made me wonder if that means discs are made of different types of stainless steel and /or to suite the hole patterns in the disc.
There must be many bikes out there with the wrong pad to disc combination.
It can get all very complicated and over my head.
I bite the bullet and buy original and as Brian said some time back it your life at the end of the brake lever.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2019, 08:13:46 pm »
I've just had new pads fitted to all discs by the BMW Dealer for my own peace of mind, as I will be touring two - up from next month. The two sets that were removed from the front still had 2.5 - 3mm thickness remaining, after 23,000 miles of use. The rears were similar, although they might have covered more miles as I am unable to find details of their replacement on any of the (many) service invoices that came with the bike.

howlindawg

« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2019, 04:38:49 pm »
I've just had new pads fitted to all discs by the BMW Dealer for my own peace of mind, as I will be touring two - up from next month. The two sets that were removed from the front still had 2.5 - 3mm thickness remaining, after 23,000 miles of use.

The OE front pads aren't particularly thick in the first place. Probably 5mm or less of friction material.
So you probably had 30-50% life left in the old ones.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2019, 08:53:41 pm »
I've just had new pads fitted to all discs by the BMW Dealer for my own peace of mind, as I will be touring two - up from next month. The two sets that were removed from the front still had 2.5 - 3mm thickness remaining, after 23,000 miles of use. The rears were similar, although they might have covered more miles as I am unable to find details of their replacement on any of the (many) service invoices that came with the bike.
Due ro receiving then as an advertised item during a TRW LUCAS promotion , last november had installed TRW front. Today  9000kms amd 6 session on track were more than enough to discovered how  Wrong I was.
My opinion : If you ride like following a funeral then aftermarket would last , and you might change discs at 80000.
Using OEM you pay more but discs would last 150000 .
Today installed OEM.   
Embrace the wind.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2019, 10:16:46 pm »
My opinion : If you ride like following a funeral then aftermarket would last...

Beautiful use of the English language. Perfect, Costas!

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2019, 08:43:18 am »
I'm sure that, as you say howlindawg, the pads in the front and rear would have gone on for a while yet. At the last service (2,000 miles ago) they were given a "green" for wear. However, I suppose that at my usual rate of around 4 - 5000 miles per year on the touring bike, I would need to replace them at some point soon and then not for a very long time, so I thought that I would have it done before the summer.

A very attractive price from the dealer helped, too!