Author Topic: Old Gits 2021 - Norther Spain  (Read 3917 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Old Gits 2021 - Norther Spain
« on: February 24, 2021, 11:12:10 am »
To go ahead assuming the COVID rules allow. Currently fully booked but happy to take details of people who'd be OK to go on the stand-by list in case there is any drop out.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:18:24 pm by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Old Gits 2021 - Norther Spain
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 08:55:26 am »
Well, trying to (again...) arrange a trip to Spain during a pandemic has proven to be ... a challenge. Herding cats and pushing water uphill suddenly seem easy.

That said, there is still a core group set to travel to Spain in June for a week of sunshine and stonking roads. However, some have pulled out meaning there are spaces on the ferries and rooms available in the hotels. As the ferry bookings are non-refundable, some of those pulling out are offering their booking at £330. That's for a return crossing, bike and rider, with a single occupancy cabin for the rider. However, these spaces are limited.

We depart Portsmouth at 22:15 on Thur 10th June and return to Portsmouth at around 20:00 on Sun 20th June. We have 3 nights in Pamplona and 4 nights in Oviedo, all booked in 4* hotels, B&B with single occupancy rooms. The total hotel bill for the week will be less than £500.

If you are interested in taking on one of the places made available, or would like further information on the trip, then please let me know ASAP.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 02:21:50 pm »
... And COVID has beaten us again.  >:(

This years trip is now postponed to June 2022!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 11:04:47 pm »
That's a shame, especially as Spain is 'amber' isn't it?

You could join us on a gentle potter around Wales instead. Hardly a replacement in weather terms, but we're not bad company.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 09:23:06 am »
Bugger!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 09:29:06 am »
It's frustrating but there is little we can do.

Thanks for the Wales offer. I would have been very interested only a group of us had suspected that this was a real possibility so we had a plan B, a week touring Scotland, including the NC500, booked for the same time. I'll shall be pointing out to the others my ancestral family seat, assuming we can see that far through the rain, as we cross the bridge onto Skye. :)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 09:33:48 am »
Still a bigger though. You 'might' avoid the midges, just  8)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 09:43:17 am »
Touring Scotland seems to be a choice between rain or midges. I'm not sure which is the "least bad" alternative!  :'(

That said, there are some amazing roads and some stunning scenery. And, of course, there is the odd distillery, hopefully close to some of the hotels we have booked.  :winkthumbs:

As it's been almost 2 years since I last did a trip away on the bike involving an overnight stay, like many I suspect, I almost don't care where it is just as long as I can do some miles on some nice roads and enjoy "the craic" with some mates.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 10:45:39 am »
I did over 1000 mile in Scotland last week no flies and very little rain, a lot of new roads covered in the six day riding, the only trouble from now is the number of caravans and camper vans on the roads.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 11:45:11 am »
I did over 1000 mile in Scotland last week no flies and very little rain, a lot of new roads covered in the six day riding, the only trouble from now is the number of caravans and camper vans on the roads.

Sounds like a good trip. I hope we're as lucky with midges and weather.  As for campers/caravans, I must admit, an optional extra of a .50 Cal. would be something I'd consider fitting to my bike! Do you think it'd go on a RAM ball mount? :D  As long as they read and take notice of the signs that say "use passing places to allow overtaking" then we'll be OK.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 11:51:32 am »
Ah Scotland will be nice, keep us informed how it goes! We can compare traffic and weather :D.

In my experience of midges I found that much like escaping a bear, you only have to be less of an easy target than your nearest neighbour! So stand next to the most heavily breathing person and they'll pretty much ignore you! On my first trip to Scotland my dad was forever complaining about the midges, and I was the opposite, didn't have a single one come at me! How I laughed :P. Then I went back on my own on the bike and they got their on-behalf-of-father revenge.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 03:47:36 pm »
As long as they read and take notice of the signs that say "use passing places to allow overtaking" then we'll be OK.

I've only been once on bike - 2019 - and with 9 of us comng at them headlights on they nearly all gave way, but it does break the flow somewhat.
The exceptions were farmers/ farmer's mums in well-used Isuzus - they take no prisoners, and probably rightly so.  ;)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 03:55:57 pm »
In my experience of midges I found that much like escaping a bear, you only have to be less of an easy target than your nearest neighbour! So stand next to the most heavily breathing person and they'll pretty much ignore you!

• Never wear yellow (might not actually work for midgeeees, but looking like a massive attractive flower is a basic no-no)
  • Never be the tallest in the pack (that's me stuffed)
  • Slap on Avon Skin So Soft
  • Don't stop (TBH the little terrors see to that anyway)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 04:13:58 pm »
I remember seeing a lrogramme on the box about an invention to rid the world of midges. It was solar powered vacuum cleaner with an aerosol attractant that it puffed out every once in a while.

It managed to attract and suck in something like 10,000 midges in an hour when they tested it. They reckoned they were working on a portable version to stick on cafe tables, your picnic rug etc...

The patent was probably bought out by Anthisan and buried for all time.

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 04:44:54 pm »
In my experience of midges I found that much like escaping a bear, you only have to be less of an easy target than your nearest neighbour! So stand next to the most heavily breathing person and they'll pretty much ignore you!

• Never wear yellow (might not actually work for midgeeees, but looking like a massive attractive flower is a basic no-no)
  • Never be the tallest in the pack (that's me stuffed)
  • Slap on Avon Skin So Soft
  • Don't stop (TBH the little terrors see to that anyway)

Not sure on the yellow, my experience is that dark colours are bad, and light colours are good with midges.  I've also had good results with a regular intake of Marmite for the 2-3 weeks before going.

As for campers, I have one, so might be biased, but it is the new ones (rentals) that you have to watch out for and that's cars as well as campers.  I spent seemingly miles behind one car with RH indicator on and no chance to overtake during my last run around the NC500.  They clearly had no idea what the signs said, but then my Mandarin is pretty shaky as well, and I'm not sure I would know their local customs for driving either.
Being grumpy makes me happy