Author Topic: Textile Jackets and Trousers  (Read 9353 times)

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
Re: Textile Jackets and Trousers
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 09:20:09 pm »
Hein Gericke are still in the UK and have been for many months.
There are not many shops but they are there. Lowestoft and Glasgow.
https://www.hein-gericke-lowestoft.co.uk/
from where I am they may as well still be out of the UK  :P

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 07:58:56 am »
We could do the re-run of Wrinklies chasing the sun to give you a chance.
Before they re-opened in the UK I was willing to take a trip to Belgium to the nearest Hein Gericke when Twisty expressed a desire for a new jacket. He whimped out on that one.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:02:28 am by raesewell »

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:28 pm »
We could do the re-run of Wrinklies chasing the sun to give you a chance.
Before they re-opened in the UK I was willing to take a trip to Belgium to the nearest Hein Gericke when Twisty expressed a desire for a new jacket. He whimped out on that one.
Don't think I haven't considered that as an optional add on to a day trip to Brugge  ;D

Offline Hedgehog

• View Profile
    • PlanningStreet
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Wunderlich Micro Flooters, peg extenders, Stebel horn, Grip Buddies
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 09:46:34 pm »

I reviewed these recently....probably a bit sub-budget for you folks, judging by the way the conversation going, but Weise quality is good for the money and the 2 year guarantee seems to work too. Outfit costs about £370.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrx6ILwJT0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxnb_zr_UVY

I do miss Hein Gericke though - they used to do some great stuff...

HH

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 09:57:44 pm »
Hein Geriche , still have the leather jacket bought back in 1982, unfortunately size 48, am now 52, the one that had zippers in the elbow and the shoulder so it could be a vest or a shirt. depending how much sleeve you take off, xcellent quality cow reinforced leather.
Embrace the wind.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 11:08:42 pm »
Hedgehog, The Weise choice and the boots are a good choice. I had a Weise Jacket and Trousers for 7 years and I have given them to another biker, they still look good and are still waterproof. I wash and proof them twice a year though. Weise stuff is very good gear and if it has the Outlast liner as well it is top stuff. Its owned by Fowlers of Bristol, designed here and made Far East mainly.

Enjoy it,

JS

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 06:47:28 am »
Anyone heard of or tried "Dane" textile stuff.  Im told they are pretty much Rukka Quality for about 2/3 of price, what you dont get is the 5 year guarantee.
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Hedgehog

• View Profile
    • PlanningStreet
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Wunderlich Micro Flooters, peg extenders, Stebel horn, Grip Buddies
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 07:19:11 am »
Anyone heard of or tried "Dane" textile stuff.  Im told they are pretty much Rukka Quality for about 2/3 of price, what you dont get is the 5 year guarantee.

No,  ???but I'll look into it...

HH

Offline Hedgehog

• View Profile
    • PlanningStreet
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:27 am »

Dane - the low-down is that this is  basically 'like Rukka but cheaper' - pro-shell material on some products (i.e. no need for inner membrane - water does not penetrate but jacket still breathes, gore-tex layer is bonded direct to jacket outer.). Outer shell has a reputation for toughness. Quality seems good (though I have not yet tested it). Styling a tad conservative. Could possibly due with a few more features here and there.

Could be worth a look I reckon. I saw a review on UK GS User a while back.

HH

howlindawg

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 12:16:25 pm »
After roughly 10 years (jacket) and 8 years (pants) of nigh on daily use my Dainese textiles gave up the ghost last year and had to be replaced.
During all that time they kept me warm and dry trough all sorts of weather.
8 hours of Welsh deluge? No problem.
Sub zero in Andorra? No problem.
Hot summers in Spain, France, Italy? Fine when moving.

I replaced them with Alpinestars purely because I couldn't find a pair of Dainese pants that fit properly. (knee armor always seemed too low for me)
So far I'm quite impressed.
Totally dry.
Not as warm as the Dainese so an extra layer is required in winter.
Better ventilated than the Dainese in hot weather.
The only bit I don't like is the over reliance on Velcro rather than zips on cuffs and ankles, but that's just my preference.
Overall very good VFM.

Offline jonesi

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Z Tecknik screen,side stand extender,MRA screen
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 04:31:52 pm »
Hein Gericke are still in the UK and have been for many months.
There are not many shops but they are there. Lowestoft and Glasgow.
https://www.hein-gericke-lowestoft.co.uk/
Unfortunately the Hein Gericke shop in Glasgow is now closed. Got a Cruise textile jacket and trousers around 8 years ago from them and it has kept me dry through several downpours. Taken over by Infinuty Motorcycles I heard
Ian

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 05:34:11 pm »
Two things I overlooked when buying
My Dainese trousers were great through the winter when wearing base layers but last year on the Old Gits trip I found that after a while the reinforcement layer on the seat of the trousers bit into my skin and was so uncomfortable I had to wear my base layer pants with the legs rolled up.
This year I tacked in a fairly thick micro fibre cloth and this sorted the problem.
As far as the jacket is concerned ensure the cuffs open enough to get your gloves inside easily and the sleeves have an inner lining that goes inside the glove to keep wet and cold out.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.