Author Topic: What about the Technical Content of the old site?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
What about the Technical Content of the old site?
« on: February 15, 2015, 01:29:04 am »
Whilst we cannot get into the old site without the password, all is not totally lost. I was amazed to find that there is a 'backup' of the entire internet; well almost! Someone has an enormous server farm in their back bedroom and they take 'snapshots' of various parts of the internet every hour of every day.

If you go to web.archive.org you will find the whole web is waiting for you, almost.

Type in eurokclub.com and you will find that the site was saved 49 times between August 28th 2008 and December 17th 2014 and you can go to each of these 'snapshots' and there you are; I found the intro to the Greece or Bust thread on the first attempt. Surprisingly, a lot of the pages open and you can follow threads and individual posts. Of course it isn't all there and not every page will open, but at the first attempt I also found Rae Sewell's article on his suspension lowering kit. The links to his photos didn't work but I simply did a click, drag and copy over whole pages and dumped the results into a Word document.

Rae still had the photos and yesterday he edited the text I copied and added his photos and the article is now back up in the Technical section.

So, if you have a spare 1/2 hour, see what you can find that might be worth saving, perhaps an article that you penned, or a favourite bit from someone else. If the original author is in here now we could easily get some of the good stuff re-created.

Despite my determination to not let this forum get flushed down the toilet, if you are writing big or complicated articles, it would be wise to do it in Word or whatever and then paste it in here so you always have a copy. And, if you find a really great bit of prose in here and you want to keep it for posterity, it would be wise of you to copy it.

Brian (who will be doing both of these wise things in future  8) )