Author Topic: For Irish Contingent  (Read 2353 times)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
For Irish Contingent
« on: September 22, 2020, 06:33:16 pm »
Until the current problem we have, travelled to the NW200 for as many years as I can remember, even when the chippy changed hands in Armagh, the new owner knew we would turn up on the thurs...

Always gone Holyhead/Dublin, but long time looked at going from Fishguard /Rosslare any idea’s for a route from there up too the North ( Bushmills) apart from the obvious up past Dublin.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
Re: For Irish Contingent
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 06:57:54 pm »
If your doing it in one hit, its a 5 hr slog. That journey has improved in recent times by introduction of the M11 but its a boring run up the east coast.  Lots of speed traps too, there are sections south of Dublin where the speed limit changes from 120kph to 80kph and even down to 60k for no good reason. Actually that whole road is really bland, had you thought about going via Cairnryan or Stranraer.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 08:33:28 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of up through the middle of Ireland.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 09:17:51 pm »
Ok, Waterford and Kilkenny are worth a visit but the main roads through the midlands tend to go from east to west and its a bit of a slog going north through the midlands, the bog of Allen is interesting for a first timer.  Further Norththere are some good historic sites around Kells & Newgrange (think Stonehenge).

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 10:48:04 pm »
Hi Chris,
Not sure how much time you to play with , but the Wild Atlantic way route which would run from Cork up the west coast of Ireland is worth the journey if your start point is from Rosslare in Wexford.
https://www.discoverireland.ie/wild-atlantic-way

Alternatively https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/travel/top-ten-best-motorcycle-roads-in-ireland

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 09:02:00 am »
It does depend on how much time you have.

Going from Rosslaire around clockwise, through Cork, Kerry, Limerick, up through Galway, Sligo, Donegal is definitely a stunning trip, but would take a few days.

The roads are mainly good, and the scenery is stunning. But it is a trip in itself and needs to include some detours off the main city to city roads to be appreciated.

Failing that, going Rosslaire, Waterford, Portlaoise, Athlone, up along the Shannon to Carrig on Shannon, then Enniskillen, Derry can be a good trip. Again as Armstrongracer said, you are sometimes not going on main roads. But the B roads are not that bad. If I was doing it, I'd break it into two days.

We can give you more information on sights, and recommended stopping points when you decide a route.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 09:11:00 am »
Great info gents and plenty of food for thought, assuming we ever get back too some kind of normality.....thanks again.

Offline 28_Ashvale

• Shay Treanor
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200 GT SE
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 10:07:05 am »
Great info gents and plenty of food for thought, assuming we ever get back too some kind of normality.....thanks again.

It's all dependent on time, and what you want out of the spin, you could head into the Wicklow/Dublin mountains which are popular with bikers at the weekends and then bypass Dublin and head northwest on the N3/M3 towards Cavan and onto Enniskillen. The only issue is that you can get held up with school or agricultural traffic.

The Wild Atlantic Way is great but it can get busy either way there are lots of options and if your are looking for recommendations in the Louth/Meath area feel free to give me a shout anytime

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 03:42:09 pm »
as said before depends on what you're after and time you've got, you could hug the east coast up through gorey,bray through the edge of dublin and on through the skerries to drogheda, dundalk and break of at newry for armagh ,dungannon ...i think you known the rest of that pad.
you could go up the middle, kilkenny, portlaoise, athlone ,cavan but would head dungannon instead of enniskillen simply because that would be me on my way home and going the quickest road .
then you have two more options....either of which would be my pick, get off the boat and head left and take in cork and kerry and up the west coast along the previously mentioned atlantic way or if time is an issue go to dublin and hit the m4 for galway and pick up the atlantic way there.
personally i think galway and donegal are the pick off the run, although a big night in cork is some craic .
when you decide what route to go there are a few of us on here who can give you some good sights etc to chose from.
i'm for fr.teds house at the next opportunity.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 09:44:05 pm »
Thanks for that as well, although the way this Corona thing is going looks like life will start again in 22. :'(

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Ex K1300S now R1250RS
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 11:15:47 am »
Thanks for the input - i was tentatively looking to go to the NW200 for the first time via some friends who now live in Wexford. Food for thought, cheers.