Author Topic: Potential new K1300s owner  (Read 4187 times)

Offline caferaca

• View Profile
Potential new K1300s owner
« on: October 03, 2019, 07:49:09 pm »
Hey all,
Wondering if I could get some advice before spending my hard earned. I had a look a 2009 K1300s today. The bike is super clean, the radiator looks new. I didn't ride it but, but fired it up. No obvious untoward rattles or noises. ESA seemed to work ok, all the switch gear worked, and it has a new NOT. Has got the sport cases. Tyres are squaring off so they'll need to be budgeted for. Some paint flaked off the final drive but looks ok. Its up of £4,250. Can post links to the ad if that allowed?

Its got 36k miles on it, so due the big valve service, and has the original manual and few receipts, but only BMW stamps up to 12k, nothing after that. I've been told its been owned by an engineer who did all the servicing himself, though no evidence of this. I've called the local motrad garage and two independents. Valve service approx £600+ it seems.

So after all that, am I buying alot trouble or are these bikes relative robust? Essentially its got 24k worth of service history missing, which I'm slightly uncomfortable with. In a perfect world I'd like a later 30th anniversary, but at over twice the price not sure its worth it to me. I'm intending to use the bike for the occasion long distance commute, European tour etc.

Any advice welcome, and hello everyone.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Potential new K1300s owner
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:27:23 pm »
The dealer will tell you if the recalls and updates have been done. Apart from that it doesn't sound too bad. There might be a bit of wiggle room on the price.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 08:42:17 pm »
Welcome caferaca,

For £4250 for a 2009 bike I'd want recent service history. It's slightly high for private, but OK-ish if you're buying from a decent garage backed by a decent warranty.

For example, some close matches:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201909162292556 (cheap)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K1300S-ESA-ABS-Luggage-K13-Plate/274019785261 (warranty, non-std seat)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-09-BMW-K1300S-K1300-S-ABS-ESA-LONG-MOT-1-OWNER-FSH-CLEAN-HPI-CLEAR/113875575422 (low miles, full service history, but no panniers - allow £300 for a secondhand pair, it has the pannier rails)

> the radiator looks new
How did you get in there?! Replacements are £550, so that's useful.

> Some paint flaked off the final drive but looks ok.
A known problem. I don't believe it's anything but cosmetic issue, but some higher mileage owners may know better.

> Valve service approx £600+ it seems.
That's about right, maybe a little less if there's nothing untoward. Mine was £550-ish.
The smaller services are in the £250-300 region, and they repeat small, small, large, small, small, large, etc - each spaced by 6k / 1 year.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 09:14:27 pm »
Wee, nice to see my old colours! And the orange I still think looks amazing, wish I could have had one at some stage! If only 'motorsport' meant orange!

Flaking drive yeah my old one was at 50k and didn't so any harm. This one's at 35k now, although that bit only did the last 30k ish. This time it hasn't corroded. Or I haven't noticed.

And yeah what Rich says. I think there are better choices. No reason to accept 24k worth of questions.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 09:18:41 pm »
Why would you when there’s a mint 5000 miler for £6495 and that’s before the haggle flaking paint runaway....

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 09:37:16 pm »
Spend more now on a low mileage minter rather than spending more later.

Just worth 2p  8)

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 11:13:02 pm »
All depends how you feel about spannering it yourself. If you don’t intend to do your own servicing, then you’re already committed to spending money; get a decent low mileage bike with full service history through the main dealer network, and get an extended warranty.

If you plan to do a lot of the work yourself, I’d say as long as it’s working OK when you buy it, should be OK. If possible, get someone with a GS911 to go with you, plug it in and read any codes - if there aren’t any it’s a good indication things have been taken care of. Give it a full service (inc valves etc) ASAP, and enjoy the savings. At that mileage, things I’d lookout for are: ball joint issues, clutch (disengagement specifically - make sure changes are smooth, esp from neutral into 1st), and check the gearbox - each gear should engage nice & smoothly. If you get the chance, try accelerating hard in each gear to check it doesn’t slip out of gear. If all is well, I would offer around 500 less than the asking price, as that will cover most of the valve checks, thus giving you peace of mind.

Offline caferaca

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 12:15:46 am »
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!
I see links are allowed, this is the bike in question - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K1300S-ESA-ABS-Luggage-K13-Plate/274019785261
Its just around the corner from me so that also appeals.

> the radiator looks new
How did you get in there?! Replacements are £550, so that's useful.
 - I got on my hands and knees with a torch :) honestly it looked new.

> The dealer will tell you if the recalls and updates have been done.
 - I asked cannons bmw, but they couldn't find the reg, as it now has a private plate. They would need the chassis no. which I guess I should have found out. They did sound a bit moody and were hinting about only sorting out recalls if it was serviced with them. I didn't push it.

> All depends how you feel about spannering it yourself.
 - I service my xr650r myself, but that is a basic machine. oil and filter and other basic stuff I could do on the K realistically.

The garage thats selling it is trying to track down more info on maintenance, apparently the owner is known to BMW.  I'll see what they say.

All in all it seems like alot of bike for the money, but I've never bought knowing I've got to spend big immediately. As some of mentioned my be worth spending more for FSH. Unsure right now.
Thanks again for all the advice.

EDIT: I've just seen on the thread below this one regarding 'brake failure' light.  Forgot mention the bike has this light on! I thought it was just an ABS light that turns off when you start moving... I guess not :(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:54:06 am by caferaca »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 08:59:25 am »
Personally, I'd spend the extra £440 (£140 + used panniers) for 10k miles less - my third pick above, in Yorkshire.

The Yorkshire pros:
- FSH & single owner means it's been cared for, not just a summer whim (my last bike had 4 owners in 8k miles!)
- a standard seat
- R&G crash bungs
- no ugly satnav bolts on the tank cover

And the cons:
- no centre stand
- no panniers (allow £300 on eBay/forum)
- North Yorkshire is a bloody long way from Suffolk. This is the biggie.

To be honest, there are always 30+ K1300S for sale at any one time, if you hunt around (eBay, Autotrader Gumtree, MCN). They're not rare.

gibbo

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 09:55:56 am »
As stevel has mentioned, if you're handy with the tools then it might be worth a punt. However, if not, I'd walk away never to return. Too risky with all that space of no history. There are plenty of less risky bikes out there to choose from.

If a seller is presenting a bike with shagged tyres then I'd wonder how the rest of the bike has been treated (or not).  ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:44:35 am by gibbo »

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 02:30:52 pm »
" EDIT: I've just seen on the thread below this one regarding 'brake failure' light.  Forgot mention the bike has this light on! I thought it was just an ABS light that turns off when you start moving... I guess not :( "

They will all have this warning up when started.

Once on the move ( Just a few MPH ) & the light should go out unless ther is an ABS fault.

Offline davidll

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 08:07:18 pm »
The Yorkshire pros:
- R&G crash bungs

Are they really a pro?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 08:35:35 pm »
The Yorkshire pros:
- R&G crash bungs

Are they really a pro?

True - it's arguable in terms of frame bending rather than protecting.
Someone here will have tested them, and can maybe tell us?

Offline davidll

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 09:04:31 pm »
Maybe another thread... rather than hijackin his one!

Offline caferaca

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 09:55:06 am »
I decided to leave the bike and find a low mileage / FSH example. Thanks for all the advice gents. Will let you know how I get on.