Author Topic: Totally incapacitated after devastating motorcycle accident with off-road bike!  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Even typing this is a struggle. So what happened?

Well, OK, I cut the end of my left thumb on a sharp gold pin while taking the TomTom off it's bloody, literally now, stupid mount on the little Honda.

Was about to dash into Hereford for a pie and a pint with a mate and had to go by bike as I'm too tight to pay to park the car and for some reason they let bikes park for free. Fairly sure that the rad is leaking on the K as it overheated on its way back from the MoT a week or so ago and that is all of 2 miles so decided to give the wee Honda an outing.

Went out to grab the TomTom to find the car park in town and that's when the bloody thing bit me; cold flesh, sharp bit of nonsense and bleeding like a stuck pig.

The things you can't do when you have a dolly on your thumb:

Type things on the sat nag
Pull my over trousers on
Pull up the zip on the boots
Hold the Halvarssons Horse Blanket while I struggle into it
Get the zippers to align properly
Hold it all while I struggle with the zip

By this time the plaster was soaked in blood and now it was all over my brand new, paint-peeling Schuberth helmet and I still had to get into my gloves...

More things I couldn't do:

Hold the helmet while I wash the blood off
Get the helmet on
Do the strap up

Rip the blood soaked plasters off, staunch the blood and go get two more plasters, but getting them out of the fiddly packet is another thing you can't do with a bloody thumb.

Manage to get the dollied thumb into the oversize BMW winter gloves and then have to put the rest of the plasters in my pocket to phaff around all over agin when I take the glove off.

Then more incapacitation:

Can't indicate properly
Can't cancel the indicator even when I remember to do so
Can't open the visor with the left had
Keep slowing down lifting the visor with the right hand

As you can tell, it was a good day, and that was before even more paint fell off the new, new chin bar of my new Schuberth C5. And before the stupid new SC2 intercom system kept telling me it had failed every couple of miles.

On the upside, I couldn't get my wallet out of my pocket in the pub...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
1. That rider/riders who had his/their little finger/brother removed had the right idea. Try that!

2. Yet more reasons to disdain Nav! I wonder if Garmin would have assaulted you? :D

3. How was the food?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
Quote from: Phmode link=topic=5297.msg63959#msg63959

On the upside, I couldn't get my wallet out of my pocket in the pub...

Every cloud, as they say, has a silver lining :winkthumbs: :winkthumbs:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 10:29:59 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
The food was dreadful...well, the sausages were tasteless lumps of something, the mash and onion gravy were good.

The Garmin's never did assault me, although a mount in which the device can fall to the ground if the click-lock fails to lock is never a good idea, the TomTom beats the XT in that regard as it goes in from the top, as did Garmin's of old.

When I explained the injury to my lunch mate he said 'Oh yes, a friend of mine did that...'.

When my Postie saw it he winced and said 'Yes, those are really sharp pins, don't ask how I know!'.

I think a class action lawsuit is in the offing.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
I was discussing the merits of expensive motorcycle clothing recently, with someone who believes that the likes of Rukka and Klim are just for show offs and cheaper stuff is just as good. I came to the conclusion that one thing the expensive brands have in common is zips that work.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
> Fairly sure that the rad is leaking on the K as it overheated on its way back from the MoT a week or so ago and that is all of 2 miles

If only you had a spare one. Oh. ::)

I see there are still two left for sale, and they've sold 9 already. An oddly large number of them. Some sort of job lot sale for BMW UK, or they bought up some other countries supply?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It's a sad state of affairs when folks are buying up bike radiators 'just in case'.

Of course, if mine is leaking amd I fit the new one, I won't have one just in case...