Author Topic: Replacement Battery  (Read 5692 times)

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
Replacement Battery
« on: December 17, 2018, 09:54:19 am »
Had a look with the Search Tool (Rae 😄) but didn't find much that didn't veer of at a tangent.

Anyway, hadn't used the bike for 5 weeks as we had builders in and the scaffold blocked access to the workshop so couldn't get the K out... and of course I didn't have the Optimate plugged in.

Managed to recover the battery but I won't fully charge anymore, which in fairness isn't bad, as it looks like the OEM unit.

So suspect a duff cell. Definitely not getting an Li battery so got down to an Exide (who I think make the OEM) and. Motobatt... I'm leaning toward Motobatt as I've had them before and they've been ultra reliable... and they're bright yellow 😊.

Can't imagine there's a lot of difference between the decent brands (Exide, Motobatt, Yuasa)... Any tales of doom and destruction or are such decisions greeted with a shrug and "buy whatever" attitude?
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Replacement Battery
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:21:52 am »
I don't think we've had any battery horror stories, I had an Odyssey on my GT but they don't fit an S. The Motobatt has dual terminals for accessories.

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 11:45:48 am »
I put a motobatt on my 13r, been no issues since and I don't use a trickle charger, I also took a file to the terminals on the battery leads so they fitted properly in the recesses on the battery, the additional  terminal adapters stayed in the box.
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline cstumpf750

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2014 K1300S
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 06:39:12 pm »
I went with an EarthX Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery With integrates BMS when my battery left me stranded. I don’t have the hot start fix and it eliminated the mild hot start issues I had. It also allowed the bike to sit over 9 months with no battery tender and start right up. I added up the cost of replacing batteries every 2-3 years and also the hassle of pulling the battery and keeping it on a tender vs the cost of the EarthX and it’s expected service life of 8 years and it made sense. I got the highest capacity that would fit so it cost me $350. Which is two regular batteries.

https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx36c

This battery is also rated for use in snowmobiles so cold starts are not a problem. I tested it in 20F temps. The bike is not in a climate controlled enclosure and it had been that cold and colder for a week. Turned the key and the bike powered on and started first try and it finished all its startup tests.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
That is one humungously expensive battery - £300 in the UK. That's twice the price of a battery from BMW (which is also presumably somewhat overpriced).
But if it lasts twice as long, then it's a winner.

Only two distributors in the UK, according to EarthX's website. They seem to be aimed at aviation use here:
http://www.cfsaero.com/
http://metalseagulls.co.uk/

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 07:33:02 pm »
I've had a Motobatt on my K13s for about a year and had no problems.

without going to the garage and having a look I think this is the model I have 12 Volt 16 AH CCA 240.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 12:01:03 am »
Yuasa for me when the OEM went west.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 08:58:00 am »
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 03:44:25 pm »
Don't forget that you can only charge a Li-ion battery with a Li-ion battery charger.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 08:03:38 pm »
Which. To clarify, excludes all Optimates up to and including Optimate4, which I think is the latest.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 10:34:28 pm »
Which. To clarify, excludes all Optimates up to and including Optimate4, which I think is the latest.

More Optifoe than Optimate then.  ;D

But they do seem to do Lithium-ion chargers. I haven't the faintest whether they're suitable - just saying.
Blurb:
https://tecmate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Why_YOU_need_an_OptiMate_Lithium-151022.pdf
And devices:
https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/optimate-08-lithium
https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/optimate-lithium-5a

Someone clever will be along soon to explain/define if they're any use.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 11:36:12 pm »
I had the hot start problem to such an extent the bike would only start when cold, got really ticked of with it one saturday when almost everyone was closed. Ended up the only battery i could get was genuine honda which i duely put in. Can't  remember exact price but it wasn't  scary, completely  cured my hot start and after sitting about 2 months started up with a very lively turnover.   Very pleased with it

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 08:42:01 am »
Optimate offers a charger model specifically for use with Li Ion batteries. Cost here 124e.
Market offers an excellent Li Ion battery for 120e with crank power 330cva . Made by Skyrich. Its a long life model excellent for use on bikes that are stored for long time. Simultaneously offers a charger under code 12v-2amp, HBC-LF 0201. For 50e with the ability to charge alll kind of batteries and regenarate those who on most chargers appear dead.
 There is a catch those Li Ion batteries won't last if ambient temperature drops below 10 degrees Celsius. That makes them off limits fro almost all .
The EarthX batteries are currently in use with the famous Apatsi attack helicopters and are not submited to the above described deficiencies.
They are expensive and after 3 Li Ion batteries I now know the reason.
Will order one fm the UK site , Paul will assist for ones more.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 09:02:32 am »
Motobatt for me, reasonable value and reliable.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 06:09:12 pm »
Yep, picked a Motobatt... MBTX12U... Direct replacement £45 delivered from sunny Doncaster.

Those Lithium ones are hellishly expensive and from what I can see, if you do let it go flat, that's £300 down the pan. Plus the Lithium charger/conditioners all look to be a minimum of an additional £130+

That stacks up to an awful lot of stock batteries!... I've no idea what the hot start problem is so, whatever it is it's not a factor.
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.