Author Topic: stranded  (Read 2510 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
stranded
« on: November 27, 2016, 11:29:28 am »
Somebody stole the right angle valve off my rear wheel. The valve seal has failed. Cant get any air in or seal it. AA man has just tried and failed. So I'm just outside market Drayton in Shropshire ( at my parents not completely lost). Where is the nearest place to take the bike to to get a new valve put in?

Is this a bmw special or do I just need a place that does bike tyres?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:02:53 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: stranded
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:05:54 pm »
Hi Martin. What a shit!

There are two or three tyre places advertising in MD but I guess Sunday is a bad day.

TT Motorcycles have just moved to MD and may be looking for extra business. They do repairs and tyres!

Phone number is...

01630 478020

Good luck. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. Brian

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 01:17:50 pm »
This is the remaining valve stem. The aperture in the top is too small for Schrader tool borrowed from neighbours pressure gauge. If I try to unbolt it using the hex flats the whole stem turns, get the impression there's something on the inside of the rim, and I can retighten it.
Think I'm going to end up at a bike tyre fitters

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:21:20 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 01:27:04 pm »
Having spoken to Martin this wasn't as straightforward as it first seemed.

It sounded as though the pin on the Schrader valve had been damaged and that was causing the problem but I couldn't understand why the AA guy didn't simply replace the valve.

Martin was off to see a man about a Schrader valve tool and new valve but I have a nagging doubt about the 'right-angle adaptor' bit that was 'nicked'!

Martin said the valve on his TPMS didn't have a threaded portion for the valve cap to screw to and it is this threaded portion of the Schrader system that also has internal threads for the valve insert to screw into. The Schrader system is mimicked by the BMW TPMS system so it seems as though the 'thief' managed to shear off the threaded portion of the valve stem whilst 'stealing' the right-angle adaptor.

This means that there is no way to fit a new valve and I am waiting for the call from Martin to say he is waiting to get the bike recovered to the nearest BMW dealer to have a new TPMS sensor fitted  :o

So, who was the sneaky thief? And more importantly, if they wanted Martin's right-angled adaptor, which is a very necessary thing on the back of a K, then why would they 'rip' it off.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the 'thief' who 'stole' Martin's right-angle adaptor was the right-angle adaptor itself; or at least centrifugal force acting on the right-angle adaptor causing it to shear off the threaded portion of the valve stem on the TPMS sensor.

When I fitted the after market TPMS system to my K12, the 19 gramm weight of the screw-on combined valve cap/pressure sensor caused the rubber valve stem to bend alarmingly. I replaced it with a bolt in alloy valve stem at the next tyre change and all was well. The tyre fitter said he had seen loads of valve stem failures caused by running with a right-angle adaptor fitted.

His advice was to carry one with you for use when using an air line but to never run with it fitted!

Time will tell if this is what happened to Martin and it is easy to be wise after the event but my money is on the right-angle adaptor.

Brian (who just threw his right-angle adaptor away so he can't leave it on there by mistake  ::) )

PS And having just seen the piccies and spoken to Martin, it seems the right-angle adaptor was the culprit. If you are running one in-situ, get rid of it, you have been warned!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:38:33 pm by Phmode »

Offline frosty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 01:52:54 pm »
When i bought a right angle adaptor from my local dealer i was warned not to run with it on for this very reason .Was also warned to be very careful when using it as the valve stems are rather fragile and prone to snapping off .

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 02:18:10 pm »
No need for an adapter with one of these

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 03:23:22 pm »
...but a trifle difficult to fit in place of the TPMS sensor every time you need to check your tyre pressures Rae  ::)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 03:45:51 pm »
A good reason to ditch the TPMS.  :-X

Offline lanerider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: All sorts added on and still adding on and on cant see me stopping
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 05:54:26 pm »
Try tyre slime it plugs the hole as and when you  get one simples  ::)
lanerider

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 07:42:26 pm »
...I doubt if even tyre slime would fix a 'puncture' caused by the valve stem fracturing and taking the Schrader valve with it  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 07:43:06 pm »
Try tyre slime it plugs the hole as and when you  get one simples  ::)

I think I detect the whiff of sour grapes 🍇

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 10:38:41 pm »
The TPS is threaded externally for the valve cap and internally in the same area for the valve core. If the right angle adaptor had caused the valve to break off because of centrifugal force then the tyre would have gone down at that instance. Or it would have gone down when the threaded section dissappeared along with th right angle adaptor when it was stolen.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 06:33:00 am »
Your pic shows that the external threaded section has gone on mine. I was left with a bent pin sticking out of the non threaded section, which broke when I tried to straighten it, a little spring which fell out yesterday when I was trying get the remains of the Schrader out, and the bit of the Schrader that's screwed inside the stem.
I rode at least 60 miles after thinking theres something funny going on here ie the handling was going off.  I suspect that the 90 adapter has been gone longer than that. The tyre certainly didn't go down immediately.  The tps stopped working months ago but because I've been working away I've hardly used the bike in the last few months and put off replacing it until the next service. Maybe the bent pin in the remains of the valve core stopped the centrifugal force opening the valve so the tyre stayed up.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 12:24:21 pm »
At benhams in Wolverhampton
Tyre has new valve
Tyre has very small nail in it which probably caused the problem.
New tyre going on. 55 profile gt. Old tyre going in store with my name on for later collection so I can get it repaired.
Rearrange following in well known phrase or saying
Rains never it pours but it
Trying to stop myself leaving bike as deposit on immaculate 2011 k16gt se 8990 1999 down 36x 175

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 04:39:36 pm »
Go on, you deserve it  ;D