Author Topic: Change of steed  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Karlachuckfin

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s Motorsport
Change of steed
« on: November 21, 2021, 04:18:20 pm »
Greetings to all of you on this oily version of Facebook, and thanks for having me !

I have just changed from an FJR, semi auto version, to a K1300s Motorsport. I picked this up on Friday in Edinburgh and rode home to Cumbria.
I used to use the handlebar paddle switch all the time on the FJR so no bothering with the foot gear lever and no clutch lever of course.
So first time on a manual bike for a long while there were quite a few dodgy gear changes !
I only stalled it the once, at a pedestrian crossing when I put it in gear without pulling in the clutch, fortunately I had the front brake firmly clamped.
Good job I had a helmet on so I couldn't hear the sniggering, and even better, no one could recognise me !

See you on the road, drive safe.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Change of steed
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 06:20:50 pm »
Hey welcome and congrats! The K is a lovely machine! I didn't know or more likely forgot the fjr had a semi auto option!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 06:41:30 pm »
Half way to an electric bike...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 12:36:50 pm »
Hello and welcome. I rode an FJR auto some years ago when I had my K1200S. I swapped bikes for a while with a fellow Old Git. I must admit I didn't really like pulling away on a clutchless bike but by the next Old Gits trip the other chap was on a K1200S! :D

I'm sure you'll soon settle back into using the clutch. I found that the K1300S is pretty good at clutchless down-changes from 6th to 2nd so, coupled with the quick-shifter, the clutch didn't get much use on mine anyway.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline kfrogzx7

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K100rs & K13s Motorsport
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 12:24:39 pm »
Hello and welcome. I rode an FJR auto some years ago when I had my K1200S. I swapped bikes for a while with a fellow Old Git. I must admit I didn't really like pulling away on a clutchless bike but by the next Old Gits trip the other chap was on a K1200S! :D

I'm sure you'll soon settle back into using the clutch. I found that the K1300S is pretty good at clutchless down-changes from 6th to 2nd so, coupled with the quick-shifter, the clutch didn't get much use on mine anyway.

Blimey, clutchless downshifts, that's brave !! I'd like to give it a go tho' sometime ..... any tips about how to do it, open throttle, blip throttle, closed throttle ?
K100rs : R1100s : R1150rs : R1200st : K1300s m/s

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 01:56:55 pm »
Aah it is possible, if I remember it would be when going very slowly relatively for 6th or whatnot, slow engine speed and it snicks in a treat when you let the drive go slack briefly. Was very satisfying but I didn't do it much after realiaing it was possible. I had more fun blipping on downshifts :).

As an aside when I first read about auto blippers I was expecting the bike to noticeably rev, but the three I've had only rev the absolute minimum required, making it all very uneventful. Mind you these bikes have all been German/Austrian so maybe the Italians add some flare.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 11:07:57 pm »
Can be done easily, even when the engine is running at speed. Only important thing is that the throttle must be completely shut before the process starts. Shut the throttle. Do a very quick blip of the throttle, really just enough to take up the slack in the cables then release again, while pressing on down on the gear lever, and the bike will happily move down a gear. Simples!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Rawdon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 12:35:54 pm »
And , belated greetings from a fellow (west) cumbrian.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 04:10:09 pm »
I love those experiments,  after all we need frequently offer clutch service to go in with our job.
It's feasible yes but at the end of the road it costs more than a thousand to sort it afterwards. 
Embrace the wind.