Author Topic: buying a k1300r advice  (Read 6443 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: buying a k1300r advice
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 07:26:22 am »
Agreed with the above, factor the extended warranty into your costs per year. Then you don't have to worry about having any problems.
And if that sounds too much, then maybe it's not the right choice.

Having said that, my 'S' has done 30k without a whiff of a problem.

> so did the k not get refined?

The refinement was from the 1200 -> 1300.
I think (but Costas may know better) they - K bikes in general - got dropped because of Euro regs?

Sales yearly looked quite stable, IMHO:
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?page=1&q=BMW+K

Acoarding to DECRA , until today HONDA CBR 1000R is the only bike that is expelled fm Germany.
Acoarding to EU only new two stroke motorcycles cannot get registration in all countries.
No other motorcycles are to be expelled fm general circulation no matter what regulations regarding emitions meet. Note the term general means that countries can make regulations restricting vehicles specifically motorcycles  from traffic to certain zones at their will.
Embrace the wind.

Offline mal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 08:09:47 pm »
Yes I can fix my bike no problems doing that the issue is parts availability on a low production models you will not get pattern parts and held to ransom over spare part prices no matter how good a mechanic you are if the price is high it's high   

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 11:00:26 pm »
Well, I have some news about parts availability for you from inside BMW Mal...

If you need a new, say, rear ESA unit on warranty, it is either available from BMW stock, or it is not.

It makes no difference if you have the warranty or not, the part is either available from stock or it isn't.

BMW dealers don't have a separate stock on which they can draw.

Having the warranty won't get you a part if it isn't available. It will, however, save you money if you need to invoke the warranty.

The issue is not availability, as you say, it is cost. But that is only relevant if you want new parts bolted onto your 'old' bike.

Personally, if the rear ESA unit goes on my late 2012 K13S, I neither need, nor want, a NEW ESA unit. A unit off a late model will do me fine, younger than my 'failed' unit but still working.

When my 2004 K12S ate its throttle bodies in late 2011, a set off a 2007 bike for £99 from James Sherlock was marginally better than a new set from my friendly dealer at £1,000, worked perfectly and as far as I know, still are!

If you can do the work and are happy with spares off a 'broken' bike, the warranty is expensive and the servicing even more so.

The other factor is whether your bike is a working tool or a toy,

Mine is a toy, if it is off the road I get a kick out of getting it back on the road. When my R1150GS was my commuter tool, it had to work, every day, all day; but then again, 1150's never went wrong  8)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 11:32:26 pm »
I really don't like anyone else working on my bike.

Things like taking out all the screws that are likely to seize into aluminium and coating the threads with anti-seize compound, will not be done in a dealership.

I wouldn't trust a dealer mechanic to guage valve clearances accurately. Funny how they never require adjustment. Funny how my K1200S needed a good few valve shims changing.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.