Author Topic: My New K16GT  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
My New K16GT
« on: June 12, 2019, 10:11:00 am »
After having a strange time on bikes for a few months, I am almost back where I started.

Had the XR, which I loved owning but couldn't get it around corners for some reason, and traded it in for a R1250GS HP, which I love riding but don't love owning. Strange world.

My K16GT Sport hit two years old and went out of warranty, so I sold it on and convinced myself I could be without a "K" for the first time in 10 years. 2 days later my wife caught me looking at pictures of the K16 again.

I spoke to Reiten Mottorrad, and they put together an amazing deal for me on a base level K16GT with a few extra bits added on, and I am please as punch with it. Better still it comes with three years warranty and three years free servicing thrown in:

And with my old Akras fitted, new "Held" crashbars and my old topbox re-keyed.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:29:35 am by Belco100 »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: My New K16GT
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:17:44 am »
Nice. I prefer the black to the other colours.

Three years servicing is a very good deal! Any limit on the mileage?

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 10:27:56 am »
The Free Servicing is a BMW Motorrad offer that is on all K16s at the moment and covers the 600, 6,000, 12,000 and 18,000 mile services each year.

This ties in with the PCP deal of 6,000 miles a year.

jesim1

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 11:04:22 am »
Great result, I was at a Harley do over the weekend up in Scotland - The Gathering near Dunoon - so from where I am it meant over 800 miles from Thursday to Monday taking in some stunning scenery - all two up with luggage. I've got a GTLE and it never missed a beat, it coped fantastically with everything I threw at it including 20mph single track loch roads and 90mph large winding A roads - plus about 5 hours of boring Motorway in both wet and dry conditions - I get why you wanted another K1600  :D

Congratulation on your new bike, I like the look of the Harleys and my mates all try to get me to spring for one, but the two up effortless and fast mile crunching of a K1600 is on another level  8)

Sounds like you got a great deal, and I notice form your bike list you have had a Hilltop tune - was it on a K1600 and what did it do for it? I had one on my R1200GS and I could feel the difference straight away, but with the smooth 6 cylinder of the K1600 I was not so sure I would notice?

Thanks

James

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 11:52:56 am »
As an experienced K16 rider, what extras did you feel were worth having? Asking for a friend....

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 12:01:40 pm »
Nice looking bike but it won't fit in my 6m x 3.5m garage  ::)

One wonders why you still had the old Akras gathering dust...

And I can feel Martin toppling to the dark side. Friend indeed  8)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 01:12:03 pm »
As an experienced K16 rider, what extras did you feel were worth having? Asking for a friend....

In a perfect world I would of had a fully loaded K16GT Sport again, but this is a base model K16GT, and BMW had a few around at amazing prices. Luckily it has most of the options as standard:

• ABS pro with dynamic brake light
  • Dynamic Traction Control
  • Heated grips and seats (keeps the Missus happy)
  • Cruise Control
  • Hill Start Control (HSC) Pro
  • Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment (D-ESA)
  • Xenon Headlight - but not one that points around corners as you lean
  • Preparation for GPS - so it just drops in the dashboard and is controlled by the wonder wheel
  • Power modes
  • Added the quick shifter-pro up for up and down changes - a really great addition and love the way it blips when you downshift entering corners etc
  • Added the alarm for insurance purposes
  • Added the GT Graphics from the Sport model as it makes the bike look less slab sided
  • On-board computer

What it hasn't got is:

• Reverse Gear - I did have it on the last one but only really used it for showing off
  • Sound System - never really used it and can stream music from my phone through the GPS to my headset anyway
  • Full DRLs, but does have slightly duller Owl Eyes.
  • Tyre pressure monitor - I will miss this
  • Central locking paniers and top box - will need to use a key again
  • Keyless Ignition - that key will get used
  • LED fog lights

I would have the DRLs and Tyre Pressure monitor given the choice, but the other features I won't miss much.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 01:46:13 pm »
Love it, enjoy for many many miles for long long days,
Embrace the wind.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 11:43:44 am »
... and I notice form your bike list you have had a Hilltop tune...

Hi James, just trying to see what you have under that Snow Foam - I think that is a pre-2017 model which is Euro3? They have a much stronger throttle response than the latter ones and in my mind it was much better - Dynamic Mode is really quick action on that version.

I had my last Euro4 version Hilltopped and that felt better on roll-on etc, but never as good as the older model. On ride by wire bikes the throttle map and the engine maps are seperate, and the engine can still be strong but the throttle bad. On the new K16 (and the GS range) the first 10% of the throttle does almost nothing, and then starts to pickup after that. It makes for a smooth ride, but its not for me.

There is a company in America that have copied the Euro3 throttle maps into a Euro4 bike, and it works well, but I am a bit worried about sending my ECU halfway across the world:

https://brentuningmoto.com/product/2017-bmw-k1600-bmsp-mail-in-ecu-tuning/

jesim1

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 08:49:23 pm »
Your correct, my bike is a late 2014 GTL-E (dec) and has the older maps for throttle. It feels very smooth and I didn't think a Hilltop would gain me anything worth the money, but I did have one on my previous R1200GS and it was a distinct improvement over standard.

I'm on the K1600 forum and there are lots of positive posts about Bren Tuning, so I'd trust them if no the couriers  :-[

We seem to miss out on so much on this bike compared to the USA, RDL is another one - I've had one of their seats sent over from there and it's a massive improvement over standard. Last week I done around 800 miles over 4 days and there was no way I would even have managed half of that on the current seat which got uncomfortable in half an hour.

It's staggering to think how little manufacturers appear to listen to customers about a product and leave massive gaps in the market for the smaller custom shops with screens/seats/bars etc. made to alter the riding position/comfort - surely that is the whole point of a large tourer in the first place?

Anyway, at least your sorted - are you going to the K1600 meet up in Buxton on the 6/7th of July? Looks like about 20 K1600s of various types will be there? Not sure if the link will work? : https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/uk-riders/184262-location-date-confirmed-inaugural-uk-k1600-meet-summer-2019-a.html

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 09:14:09 pm »
Yes - going up on Friday and there both nights. See you then  ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 09:53:31 am »
A nice looking bike. I hope you have many happy miles together.

What it hasn't got is:

…
Tyre pressure monitor - I will miss this

I would have the DRLs and Tyre Pressure monitor given the choice, but the other features I won't miss much.

I've just fitted a cheap Chinese TPM kit, bought of eBay, to my H2 SX. It does the job brilliantly, costs peanuts, and is highly recommended.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org