Author Topic: Sefna not charging - AGAIN, again.  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Sefna not charging - AGAIN, again.
« on: September 07, 2022, 06:25:24 pm »
Anyone want a paperweight?

Yet another new battery fitted a month or so ago. Now it won't charge again. Again!

Blissful silence whilst getting lost in Wales next week...

I should add that it isn't 'not charging', rather the charging red LED doesn't light and therefore it isn't charging...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 07:29:47 pm by Phmode »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Sefna not charging - AGAIN, again.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 07:39:02 pm »
SeFna!

Just scoured the internet where 77 trillion folks are bitching about the same issue.

One guy said he plugged it in and hit the reset button for an age and it suddenly burst into life.

Yeah, right. No way...

Stuck a toothpick (I almost used a real pick) in the reset hole for about 30 seconds. Nothing. Nada. Released the reset button and voila, a red LED. This is most definitely a firmware update issue.

So, do I update it and brick it or leave well alone while it is working? Answers on a £10 note as contribution to two tin cans and a mile of stretchy string...

Oh, and next year, when I am complaining about this yet again, can someone remind me to do a reset before I set fire to it
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 07:44:34 pm by Phmode »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 08:11:15 pm »
Senna?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 09:30:54 pm »
You should try using it more than once a year, it works wonders.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 09:53:23 pm »
We can compare firmware next week. I use mine semi-regularly and it survived two full 8 hours riding days on my way up to Scotland before I remembered to charge it.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 09:28:34 am »
You should try using it more than once a year, it works wonders.

Who d'ya want me to talk to?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 10:27:35 am »
Just charge it up every couple of months  :winkthumbs:

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 10:40:38 am »
I use my headset to have music playing in the background when not riding with other riders.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 06:55:39 pm »
Er, yeah. Not being a fan of music on the move I never listen to it. My old 660 used to just start playing the same track at totally random points on a route and I never could stop it doing it. I wiped all the music off the Garmin.

My new XT however, suddenly started playing the same bloody track this afternoon while I was uploading routes. Short of erasing all the music from my phone, they seem to have got me by the s&c's.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 07:27:10 pm »
Just charge it up every couple of months  :winkthumbs:
I think M. Coq Hardi has the correct solution - every 3 months or so is good.
And if you really want to finesse it just charge it to 80% if you're storing it again. If you're going to use it, go to 100% and then use it.
20-80% is the sweet spot/range for Lithiums.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 09:43:36 am »
The big problem with lithium's is that hold their charge for so long that one simply forgets they need charging.

I have one on my push bike, one you can wear on your head or on the bike. I got stopped one evening in Newbury by a bicycle copper about ten years ago who wanted to know what the hell it was on the bike. It was way over-powered for its day and he promptly rode home with me while I fished out the eBay details.

I haven't ridden the damn thing since I moved here and that was over five years ago. If I need a quick searchlight while in the garage, it is always ready. I just went and checked it now, as bright as a bright thing and I think I might have charged it once about 3 or 4 years ago. One day I'm sure it will lose its charge.

So, battery management is not high on my list of things I have to think about. Or is it?

And if you think the Sena not charging was a problem, yesterday I decided to head out to the garage between bouts of route bashing with Matt, just to make sure the new Garmin was correctly adjusted on the bike.

I spent about thirty seconds cursing and swearing trying to get the bloody thing on its mount before it slowly dawned that it was the mount for the 660. I had fitted the XT into the car (on a bike mount to save plugging it in every time I use it) but obviously not the bike...

Well, a simple five minute job, if only I could remember where I put the damn thing. Still, better yesterday than Sunday morning eh chaps. 'No, no! You guys go on, I'll catch you up at the B&B later...'