Author Topic: New Member  (Read 765 times)

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300s Sport
« on: December 20, 2023, 09:42:08 am »
Hi all,

Thanks for accepting me! I'm just getting back into riding after 7yrs off 2 wheels following a nasty hit and run on the mrs. We both sold our bikes after that, but Ive never been able to shift the desire to get back on. Had 2 vfrs previously, but being 6ft 3 I found then just a little too small. Always fancied a ZZR1400, but sat on one last week and found the riding position just a little too aggressive for what I want. There was a red/black K1300s sat next to it and when I sat on it to try it immediately felt right!. Wasn't really considering them till now, but now I am hooked and that led me here doing as much research as possible. Many thanks for all the contributors, it really makes a massive difference in learning about a bike and Im hoping to get one this week!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 11:43:08 am »
Hello and welcome. When I was buying previously, I too looked at the ZZR1400 and while it was undoubtedly a very capable bike, I didn't think it was a better option than the K1300S so you're not this first to have made that exact decision.

I see you may be interested in the MotorSport Rich linked to. It looks like a great bike and I'd be surprised if you are disappointed.

There is a wealth of knowledge on here so if you have any questions then feel free to ask.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 12:46:37 pm »
Hi and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

Ouch! One hopes the Mrs. wasn't too badly dented and has made a full recovery, physically, if not emotionally. I despise hit and run drivers and can't imagine the anguish it causes, it's bad enough finding a car park scratch on the car door, let alone getting nerfed off the bike.

The K isn't perfect and you are wise to do your homework. There is plenty of stuff in here...

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3984.0

...to get you started. Brian

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 04:50:26 pm »
Hello and Welcome.  I followed a similar route to (potential) K1300 ownership.  I bought mine in 2020 to upgrade from my VFR800.  I have not regretted the change.  The K1300S is a great, confidence inspiring machine.  It is a big, heavy machine, but if you can cope with that, it is otherwise nicely manageable.  The low speed balance is good and high speed stability exceptional.  It is a little slow to turn, but once settled it is nice and neutral.  Some find the front end feel a little remote, but I really like this, and particularly like the anti-dive under braking.  I've taken mine to the Pyrenes and NC500, plus regular weekend scratching, and even did a track day on it (It's a bit heavy for that in reality).  My only real issues have been relatively heavy tyre wear, and falling off it doing a U turn, where the slope in the road meant the ground wasn't where I expected it to be, and by the time I found the ground, the weight was too much to hold up.  Mine has close to 60K miles, and not pristine, but still looks good to me.  I do my own maintenance and repairs.  It is pretty easy to work on, and this site is a great resource.  If you go for the Motorsport version at Wigan Yamaha, it looks like a lovely bike.  Good luck.
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 11:51:31 pm »
Many thanks for the replies...

Yea the Mrs is ok, 3 pins to put her pelvis back together and some PTSD for life, but she made an amazing recovery. Took her 3 years to fully recover and doctors weren't sure she would walk again at 1st so was really lucky.
The police found the driver in the end but didn't press charges cause he was in his 80s.

Its defo made me apprehensive to get back on but I cant let it stop me anymore, I miss it too much..

To be honest, considering all this the weight of the K is the only thing that has put me off buying it as I initially wanted something more nimble for around town/filtering/avoiding collisions etc but the adventure tourers etc just don't do it for me and Im just to big for everything else..

Anyway, Im looking to go try 2 on friday and all being well I should taking one home!

Many thanks again and I will update soon!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 07:57:34 am »
There is no getting away from the fact that the K1300S is a big and heavy bike when being pushed around the garage/drive/car park, but it looses it's weight as soon as it's moving. It's no pocket rocket sport bike in the tight twisties but it does a whole lot better than many expect of a bike that size has a right to.

I commuted to the South Bank in London from Suffolk (over 75 miles each way) on mine. 6 years (two bikes) and over 105,000 miles. It filtered better than many other bikes with a decent sized engine and definitely better than any of the large engined adventure bikes. With the huge, but easily manageable low down torque it was really easy to manage slow speed manoeuvring and folding the mirrors in allowed it to squeeze through some really tight gaps. When it came to long distance commuting with A roads, country lanes, motorway and city centre work all in the same journey, I don't think there is a bike better suited to that than a K1300S, and that includes my H2 SX.

ETA Either a BMW "spot the difference" competition or an Old Gits trip. Mine is front row centre.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 08:04:29 am by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 11:48:06 am »
Many thanks for the info..  that gives me more confidence.. I'm sure the bike will far surpass my abilities anyway and will be more than enough for my needs

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 05:59:34 pm »
Welcome Forcefield - I'm 6'4", so you'll be fine!

You could have a look at this article if you do find yourself a bit squeezed:
https://freetime.mikeconnelly.com/archives/36

I also tried an slightly raised seat (0.5" seat) which helped a little, but in the end I reverted to normal height.

In terms of regaining confidence, I thoroughly recommend BikeSafe for a quick 1-day refresher or for more in-depth IAM or RoSPA. RoSPA and IAM run through the whole year - BikeSafe is probably only in the sunnny months.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 08:39:59 pm »
I used to think my K13 was heavy. I’ve got a K16 as well now and when I get on the K13 it feels like a 600.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 09:19:41 pm »
I used to think my K13 was heavy. I’ve got a K16 as well now and when I get on the K13 it feels like a 600.

haha, yea thats a big old barge youve got there!

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 09:22:05 pm »
Welcome Forcefield - I'm 6'4", so you'll be fine!

You could have a look at this article if you do find yourself a bit squeezed:
https://freetime.mikeconnelly.com/archives/36

I also tried an slightly raised seat (0.5" seat) which helped a little, but in the end I reverted to normal height.

In terms of regaining confidence, I thoroughly recommend BikeSafe for a quick 1-day refresher or for more in-depth IAM or RoSPA. RoSPA and IAM run through the whole year - BikeSafe is probably only in the sunnny months.

Thanks, thats a really helpfull article, and il for sure be looking into doing these after letting things settle in.

Im also considering one of those courses, coz we can always keep learning right! What rear sets if any and bar raisers did you go for?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 10:41:35 pm »
Im also considering one of those courses, coz we can always keep learning right! What rear sets if any and bar raisers did you go for?

Rear sets - I have standard Gilles one which come with the Motorsports model. At their lowest settings they're identical to the std peg height. At 6'3" you are unlikely to want to move them up.
The Gilles ones don't fold up, so they'll catch your leg as you put your foot down, but you get used to it.

They look beautiful but they aren't worth adding for if you see what I mean! If you've got them, keep them, if you've got standard pegs, they're perfectly OK.  In fact, the footpeg lowering kits in the article won't work with Gilles rearsets.

Bar raisers - I love the bars just as they are, but I think others favour Helibars:
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/handlebars-haa05030-1.html