Author Topic: K1300S  (Read 49987 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: K1300S
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 05:59:50 pm »
Also, you'll get used to one touch of the heated grips means low, two touches means high. It's like adjusting the suspension for me, I know what i'm in and how many taps to go to each... then I forget and check with a glance anyway :D.

Also, I do love seeing our bikes - more so with the same colour scheme - in nice photos!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 04:49:52 pm »
And so it begins. Last night out on the B3306 we wandered past 10,000 miles on the clock near Zennor. 20 minutes earlier you would have got a dramatic sunset but hey ho

Had the low seat on. Not an enormous difference but it was very difficult to get above 4th very often on my way around the loop to Lands End and back so not a fair test. I am also not confident with those Metzelers yet especially the new front, it falls into corners not rolls and I'm not yet used to it.

BTW I will be at the NEC show next Tuesday. Anyone else going?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 11:21:11 pm »
I am also not confident with those Metzelers yet especially the new front, it falls into corners not rolls and I'm not yet used to it.

I recommend losing the Metzelers - but not in a rush. They just plain OK, but the Angels & Mich PRx seem better to me. Just saying.  ;)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 03:43:56 pm »
Thought it was about time I took the K13 out and got it dirty and got the battery charged up. So yesterday set off with the intention of doing a run from Exeter up to Dunster avoiding dual carriageways and the like. However a later start than planned put paid to that, but I did get along to the Chequered Flag cafe on the A38 near Liskeard. It was shut so I went in search of the large unhealthy brunch I had promised myself. Liskeard, Callington, Tavistock, Dartmoor

(I went right past - well you wouldn't want to go in would you (the sharper eyed amongst you may have noticed HMP Dartmoor in the background))

all passed by without a cafe appearing, but there was a veritable glut of them in Moretonhampstead. Refuelled and warmed up I then went across the moor to Exeter , up to Bridport (nice Christmas lights by the way), and back along to Bude. By now it was dark and getting colder so another brew in Bude Morrisons and home again. Astonishingly I got away in the dry except a brief shower near Newquay which for 225 miles in mid December I thought was pretty good. I can recommend the B3212 across Dartmoor if you get a clear run without sheep snoozing in the road, some big views.

I filled up twice during the day, and the fuel gauge is definitely pessimistic. The first time it said range 4, and I only squeezed 18.2 litres in, the second time I went 3 miles past range 0 and managed 18.82 litres. So there's 2 litres left at range 0 then if the tank is the same as the K12. Must go out with a 5litre tank strapped on the back and wait til I run out. The fuel computer is better, showing about 3-4% optimistic compared to the 12 6-7%.

Still noticeably stiffer than the K12, and I'm still nervous of the tyres. However after a few squirmy moments, and little slides step outs etc by the end of the day the new front was scrubbed in a bit, and I was following some briskly driven traffic down the A39 in the dark and damp occasionally wet road without a worry. Still finding it a bit tippy into corners but getting used to it. Not sure if its the tyres, the  K13 v K12 geometry and tyre sizes or what. Not tried to travel at any great speed around corners yet as the weather hasn't allowed it. Still getting used to the quickshifter, jumping off the 12 onto the 13 leads to some jerky changes as I tend to hold my boot under the 12 gear lever before a change, the 13 says "hallo lets change gear then" before I want to. The 12 gearbox is so slick now (read: worn) that clutchless changes up and down are pretty easy and smooth, not on the 13.

Talking of being in the dark, less than impressed with the headlight. I have brighter bulbs in the K12 now, but even so its not great. Saw a LED mod on the net today, plug and play variety but not shipped to the UK. There are lots that are available on the web, any recommendations for those that actually fit and are better than others?

Oh and finally, went looking for a Bagster tank harness. Feck they are expensive. Lets hope I  get some money for Christmas. Right better go and clean the 13, its covered in crap

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2019, 07:05:24 pm »
Nice one Martin, a braver soul than I in this weather.

I haven't ridden behind an LED headlight but I can highly recommend an HID kit. A cheap car kit and stick one in the dip and one in one of the mains with an Osram/Phillips Nightbreaker (whatever) 130 +. This gives you instant light when you go from dip to main and the HID gives amazing spread and length when it comes in about 5 milliseconds later...

Cheap, cheerful and no worries about fitting it.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 07:44:33 pm »
Just trying to find mine. Been in since 2016.

Cyclops H7 3200 lumen LED Headlight bulb BMW R1200RT & GS all versions...

https://www.sportouring.co.uk/

Is in my dipped beam.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2019, 12:21:32 am »
Doesn't look like you have the rear additional mudguard fitted (part number 46627675424). Cuts down the crap thrown off the rear wheel onto your back and panniers.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2019, 07:52:15 am »
Nice update and you were lucky with the weather. I would love to take mine out for a day but they've been beet harvesting and the roads are slippery mud tracks at the moment that make it hard enough to keep a car pointing in the right direction, let alone a bike.

As regards headlights, this man speaks very wise words. (I know because he copied my set up having followed me across Provence on a return to Italy after being delayed by another K1300S switch gear failure.) :D

Nice one Martin, a braver soul than I in this weather.

I haven't ridden behind an LED headlight but I can highly recommend an HID kit. A cheap car kit and stick one in the dip and one in one of the mains with an Osram/Phillips Nightbreaker (whatever) 130 +. This gives you instant light when you go from dip to main and the HID gives amazing spread and length when it comes in about 5 milliseconds later...

Cheap, cheerful and no worries about fitting it.

Cheap eBay slim ballast car kit and all the bits will JUST fit inside the headlight shell. (along with the skin from a couple of knuckles! - it really is a tight fit.)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2019, 04:01:12 pm »
...and one more point, on both my 12 and 13 with the cheap kits fitted (new kit fitted for the 13) the cut-off on dip was identical with the stock bulbs, no scatter, no dazzle and no flashing from opposing traffic, just a VERY bright road ahead.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2019, 04:08:29 pm »
Just to annoy everyone, I also went HID with Brian's one first time...
After some months it started flashing as I was riding.

I mean I don't blame Brian personally, I'm pretty sure it's a Chinese conspiracy to get rid of the UK's best and brightest... who as everyone knows all ride motorcycles with H7 headlamps!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2019, 11:08:50 pm »
It was all my fault. I gave you the link to a duff website because you didn't buy the beers the last time we had lunch...

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 07:01:08 pm »
Did the fuel filler mod today. Decided on a single 8mm hole on the opposite side to the side stand, drilled as high as I could under the seal

The bloke who details fasteners obviously got a bung from the screw factory when he did the k13. I think I counted 30 screws and bolts off and on. Sure it's more than the k12. Or maybe it's because I was cramped in the shed instead of being outside in the sunshine. Tip: dont do this with a nearly full tank, any cloth you stuff the tank neck with soaks up the fuel nicely. I thought I'd burnt enough off but I hadn't . Also I had loosely refitted every screw in the fairing before tightening anything but then found that the fuel cap bolts were just far enough out of alignment to not fit. Fortunately loosening a few fairing screws did the trick

Back to the decorating now. I bought a Biker Tidy but SWMBO said I had to paint the room before I could bolt it to the wall. Its bolted to the first wall I painted now. Does what it says on the tin, but be aware the holes in the frame for the wall fixings have zero tolerance. I now know the wall is cinder block and is not plastered flat and had to buy some suitable rawlplugs as the ones in the pack weren't suitable. It's got 3 sets of leathers and the textiles, plus 4 helmets and the soft and tank bag on it  plus gloves waterproofs base layers. I am watching the fixings closely to see if they are pulling out....

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2019, 10:47:04 pm »
This modification can be carried out very effectively with a longish 5mm diameter screwdriver by opening the filler cap and pushing the screwdriver at an angle into the filler tube wall. It is plastic and the hole can be made without too much effort. If you are fussy. you can stuff a rag in the filler tube below where you intend to make the hole to catch any swarf.

A five minute job and makes brimming the tank that much easier.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2019, 11:33:48 pm »
You must have a very sharp screwdriver or an exceptional push. Make sure you go low enough too

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2019, 07:47:20 am »
If you are fussy. you can stuff a rag in the filler tube below where you intend to make the hole to catch any swarf.

Had the wife with the vacuum on the go with the pipe close to where I drilled the hole just make sure their were no hiccups dropping into the tank.