Author Topic: soft luggage question...s...  (Read 2216 times)

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
soft luggage question...s...
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:31:44 am »
hi guys, just wondering does any one here know if a seat bag from a s1000rr will fit the rear carrier on the k1300s,
i have a top box i could MAKE fit but i just think the original carrier isn't designed to carry the stress points evenly (which they're not) and the box..in my humble opinion leaves the bike aesthetically challanged. i want something quick to mount/dismount that i can leave fairly secure for short periods. the bmw soft bag looks fairly easily mountable but why oh why can't they do it in black....even brown, just pick a colour and go with it!!!
i've looked at various bags, hummed and hawed  changed my mind back and forth as i do think the indentation on the bottom of the bmw soft bag means it will be easily mounted and sit securely... but then i've never seen one in the flesh so to speak.
i'm open to ideas, experiences and abuse.... but would like a solution!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: soft luggage question...s...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:32:41 pm »
Go on, MAKE the bloody top box fit and piss off all the purists..... ;D

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Ex K1300S now R1250RS
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:23:29 am »
I've fitted (codged?) a Givi monokey rack onto the stock rack mounts so I can use my scruffy old 40lt cheapo topbox when the occasion demands (shopping, etc).
It may not look great but when you want to buy transport beer relatively easily who cares. Despite the product warnings in the topbox, it's endured 120 mph plus as well...........

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 10:47:37 am »
codged is probably the word to use for myself as well. i take it yours has the rear carrier, thats my start point. i 'm thinking remove small perspex plate and ream out holes on givi moumting plate to suit....insert bolts and voila !!.
you must be happy enough with the strenght of it, that was a big concern for me that the "shakeability" would affect stress points and crack plastic somewhere...either top box mount or god forbid rack mounts....
then theres the aesthetics ....omg am i becoming a purist - say it aint so!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:48:17 pm »
Get rid of the plastic fantastic and fit an SW Motech Alu-rack. Job done and almost not there when not needed. Givi plate fits and removes in a jiffy. Simples!

Offline Saltboxer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Limberger bling
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 06:58:48 pm »
Or,
fit a Ventura.
L brackets come for bikes with BM rear rack and those without. Bag slots over the rack and is secure to flat out speeds.
No wardrobes hanging off the side or ugly top box.
Bag sits firmly on passenger seat.
Simply lift bag off at hotel, easy peasy.
When off tour leave L brackets in place and remove rack, 2 minutes.
The 51 ltr bag does me for two weeks in Spain or France but have been known to leave used socks and other stuff behind:)

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Ex K1300S now R1250RS
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:04:57 am »
codged is probably the word to use for myself as well. i take it yours has the rear carrier, thats my start point. i 'm thinking remove small perspex plate and ream out holes on givi moumting plate to suit....insert bolts and voila !!.
you must be happy enough with the strenght of it, that was a big concern for me that the "shakeability" would affect stress points and crack plastic somewhere...either top box mount or god forbid rack mounts....
then theres the aesthetics ....omg am i becoming a purist - say it aint so!

As you say, I removed the Perspex plate, and mounted the Givi plate on short spacers in the available 4 holes. I also bent up up a clamp bar that sits underneath the plate and clamps to the rack bars out of sight. Dead solid and payload and speed resistant I'm certainly not a purist but I like things to look as though they've had a tiny bit of thought put into them............
I done the Ventura thing (I'm now about to Fleabay off my Ventura pack) on and off for years and personally I now much prefer a 60lt rollbag on a small rack if I haven't got the preferred option of hard luggage (my RC8R) - Each to there own and all that

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 12:09:18 am »
well, just back from an overnighter in donegal. needed luggage so went to it on saturday morn.
removed perspex and carrier, made a plate to cover the 4 bolts with holes punched to suit them, then welded 19mm box  with holes to suit the givi adaptor across it, then 18mm box running the other way to give the top box more stability, sot of crucifix style. at this point i realised the grab rails had a higher point than i measured so i spaced it up with 4 nuts and used caged nuts inside the box to attach the adaptor plate.
after a good shaking and wobbling test i was mighty impressed with the result it is as solid as the "proper"  mount i had it on before.
apparently it is good for 140 when one of your mates passes you unexpectedly and you forget its on....followed by quick deceleration when you remember it's there!
met a nice group of bikers on sunday am from blackpool, 2 of whom had tidy 1000r's with one of them sporting a nice bmw tailbag which i really liked the look of. i was offered to try it on, no problem but as i had left half my carrier at home i couldn't avail of the kind offer. if any of you guys are on here thanks anyway, hope you had a nice run.