Author Topic: BMW owners club  (Read 11533 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: BMW owners club
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 02:17:14 pm »
It's still the same Rich, no real interest in any of the newer models, and even these "newer" models are 10 or more years old.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 02:39:16 pm »
it seemed to offer much less than I can get here. And Brian's rate are infinitely better value than £32/year.

By the way, at 36 years young, you may be assumed to be the waiter at the coffee stop. ::)

A coffee for me, Richard, Brian is paying  8)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 04:58:45 pm »
They are meeting near me this month. I might go by car and suss them out. Maybe I'm old enough for them now. Any older and it'll be Harleys.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 06:00:44 pm »
They are meeting near me this month. I might go by car and suss them out. Maybe I'm old enough for them now. Any older and it'll be Harleys.

Go by bike, and show them a real BMW!

I always assumed people gravitate away from Harleys with increased knowledge, rather than towards them with increased age.
Maybe I just don't know enough Harley riders to extrapolate.

Which now gives me an excuse to drag out this old chestnut:
There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:28:56 pm by richtea »

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 07:21:47 pm »
I still fancy a K1200RS. Perhaps I should join....  ;D

P.S. Nearly all group ride-outs by there very nature are slow, dull and somewhat boring.
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 07:35:40 pm »

I always assumed people gravitate away from Harleys with increased knowledge, rather than towards them with increased age.
Maybe I Just don't know enough Harley riders to extrapolate.

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data...

In 2015? My wife and I crossed the entire USA from Florida (East) to L.A. (West) on a rented 2014 Rootbeer Red, Electra Glide Ultra and it was just about the perfect bike for that journey and I genuinely missed it when we returned home.... 4500 miles in 12 amazing days and nothing broke or fell off, although the oil pressure gauge did work loose in the bezel, meh. Performance dropped off when it was really hot, which it was in Death Valley even in March and also at altitude, Lake Tahoe which was chilly, but at 80mph and above! it sucked down on its haunches and just glided up the highway like its name suggests it could. The banging stereo was also a real boon. Not a bike for Scottish goat tracks, but for crossing the Continent of the USA. Just the fecking job.

I also have the memory of getting caught speeding, 85 in a 70, on a loaner Glide from Edinburgh Harley the February previous to our USA trip as a get to know you ride, on the A1 by Police Scotland. Although I was cautioned. They never did prosecute me because - I was a nice man enjoying a nice motorcycle on an empty road. What's the harm?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:43:11 pm by TurboBevy »
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 08:37:57 pm »

Maybe I Just don't know enough Harley riders to extrapolate.

Very, very funny! Hadn't seen that one before. I must mix with the other sort...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 08:39:02 pm »

P.S. Nearly all group ride-outs by there very nature are slow, dull and somewhat boring.

Hm! You should try the Old Gits if that is what you think.

Or even the Wrinklies run... 8)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 09:51:48 pm »

Hm! You should try the Old Gits if that is what you think.

Or even the Wrinklies run... 8)

Most Old Gits runs are anything but slow! Removal of chicken strips and damage to hero blobs are not uncommon events. :D I think that even Tom found the pace acceptable! ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 10:33:16 pm »
The rate of a ride tends to be the inverse of the number of people taking part.

Two is quick, three or four and it eases off, five or more and you need to take your time getting that many people past the mobile chicanes.
But that's fine, it's still fun, and every now and then things open up nicely!

Coully

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 03:13:00 pm »
Judging by the 2nd magazine received ...it's old airhead models . A shame really .
They've got my £35 for the year, me and assoc member (the wife) ...but by the sounds of things...doubt it's worth renewing  :P

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 07:03:48 pm »
Judging by the 2nd magazine received ...it's old airhead models . A shame really .
They've got my £35 for the year, me and assoc member (the wife) ...but by the sounds of things...doubt it's worth renewing  :P

No! Now stop this negative self-talk.

Buy yourself (and the wife) an ounce of Old Shag each (or Clan for the lady if she prefers) and a couple of old pipes from the local tat shop.
Assuming you (and she) are not already hirsuitely adorned, nip to the local fancy dress/party shop and invest in a couple of cheap and nasty stick-on beards. (NB Don't get the sexy, neatly-trimmed variety for reasons that will become obvious when you get there.)
Pop along to the 'do' in old wellies and Barbours with a couple of old Cromwell helmets as props. (Obviously do NOT ride there! Go in the car.)

Introduce yourselves as lord and lady muck and enjoy the reception you get. And remember, you are fully paid up members so you can cause as much mayhem as you like...

We all await the report of the outing with a really good PS from herself.

jesim1

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2019, 01:23:09 am »
Ask Steve Parry about his banning, I got myself on a warning for asking a question. The admins, John King and Bill Smithson are, I feel getting too old and starchy to attract younger members. The forum through traffic is getting less and less and the forum shows signs of dying, only my personal opinion of course.

I totally agree, I joined the forum last year with a view to becoming a member of the club, I had an R1200GSLC at the time and dared to criticise a BMW dealer who had been rubbish. I got a PM telling me the post was removed and I was not allowed to be negative to any BMW dealer or indeed BMW UK, who were also crap by the way!

After I explained I was being totally honest and 100% factual in what I had put, and could also provide emails from the dealer and BMW UK to support my remarks, I was told it was still not acceptable to criticise BMW. Was this guy for real??  :-X

I asked for my account to be deleted and I have never looked back.

I cannot speak for other members, but I could not be a part of a forum where you cannot be honest or critical of a manufacturer for fear of chastisement or ban even though you are being civil but factual. The admin were a disgrace, but it's their forum, and they have ran it into the ground from my point of view.

These are the kind of old farts I used to laugh at when I was younger and was into sports bikes, now I'm older and have a K1600GTL and I actualy feel sorry for them, they have kind of lost there way along the road.

James

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 09:51:21 am »

I totally agree, I joined the forum last year with a view to becoming a member of the club, I had an R1200GSLC at the time and dared to criticise a BMW dealer who had been rubbish. I got a PM telling me the post was removed and I was not allowed to be negative to any BMW dealer or indeed BMW UK, who were also crap by the way!

After I explained I was being totally honest and 100% factual in what I had put, and could also provide emails from the dealer and BMW UK to support my remarks, I was told it was still not acceptable to criticise BMW. Was this guy for real??  :-X

James

I think the complication is that they are affiliated with BMW, and are scared to criticise them.
The official BMW logo and an insurance ad is on the website. Follow the money, as they always say.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 10:05:35 am »
Money? Now there's an idea 💡  8)