Author Topic: New Windows 10 and Garmin Maps - problem  (Read 7801 times)

Offline Ned1

• View Profile
Re: New Windows 10 and Garmin Maps - problem
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 03:26:56 pm »
+1
I have my old car tom tom that I have been using on my bikes for years
with the only problem being a replacement battery.

Ned  :o   
Ride like they are out to kill you and live to ride another day

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 03:42:39 pm »
I have had both Tomtoms (Rider V3, V5 and Rider 400) and Garmin (660LM) GPSs so am ideally place to offer a comparison. I found the Garmin software complicated and not very user friendly. The Garmin PC software sometimes conflicts with other programs and has to be run in compatibility mode or Admin mode sometimes.
I find the Tomtom interface to be intuitive and user friendly and no PC compatibility conflicts.
Now, I'm not saying all the Garmin users should ditch and migrate to Tomtom, if you're happy with your Garmin then that's great.
For me it's Tomtom all the way (literally).

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 04:04:19 pm »
All extremely valid points my friends  8)

Windows 10 isn't being picky when it farks up the Garmin stuff. I have numerous astronomy programs that simply won't work with 10. In fact, my new laptop bought because of the limited program compatibility with my new Mac mini, won't work with Windows 10 either and it came with it pre-installed; every time it turns on it 'encounters a problem' and closes. Normally it is OK when it restarts!!!

I never leave the UK without euro maps. I have excellent, unbelievably thin, plastic maps from Michelin which are waterproof, writeable and virtually indestructible. I can pack the whole of europe in about half the volume of a copy of MCN and I don't mean the bulky double Christmas edition.

There isn't a sat nag in the world that gives the ability to spread its screen out and say 'where looks good'?

There isn't a map in the world that knows where you are. Nor how to get home, to the hotel etc!

Modern sat nags have the great 'Where am I?' feature which gives, depending on model, location in terms of road and co-ordinates, nearest emergency services, fuel etc and can incorporate a detour into a route unlike my old Streetpilot which lost the original route navigation if you asked it to take you to fuel. In France a year ago I was relying on the advance warnings for services for fuel to get me home in a headlong dash.

Suddenly there was a sign telling me my next planned services fuel station was closed! The sat nag told me where the nearest fuel was but it was touch and go whether I made it. It was also tough and go when I got there and found it was now a housing development!! I managed to make the next nearest and the bike took almost 20 litres :o

When I got back on the motorway the services weren't closed after all!

A map would have been absolutely no use in any of that nonsense!

So, horses for courses boys and girls.

In the car, the iMenu thingy is a real distraction. When I scroll, it should 'speak' at me telling me what I have selected. Luckily most things are still touchable but unlike aircraft systems of old, all the switches and buttons are the same. The triangular, spherical with knobs on, square, cylindrical and flat knobs on the old-fashioned auto-pilots were a wonderfully easy system to use with flying gloves on.

My old Garmin Streetpilot also had 'real' buttons on the side unlike the new ones which require a visual to touch the right place on the screen and another to confirm where you are. Not good.

Mind, real maps require visual at every road junction unlike sat nags which 'tell you' where to go, as it were!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 07:26:19 pm »
Can I be smug and say:
- don't upgrade to Windows 10

Oooohhhh, too late. OK, I won't say it.

My archaic method:
- paper until I'm lost, then Google Maps
- and try not to get lost. Doesn't work well unless you're on your own, of course.

Paper gives better context than a small screen. If phones came with A4 rollerblind screens then I'd use them exclusively for maps. Another 5-10 years or so for thin foldable screens, maybe:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible_display

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 07:50:32 pm »
I've had Windows 10 for ages now and don't have too many problems with it. The only notable problem is with the taskbar icons not bringing the programs to the top/front of other programs, I have to minimise the others first. It's a bit intermittent, more of an irritation than a problem.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 08:45:15 pm »
You're right, Rae. I was just teasing.

Win 10 is generally stable, well-behaved and better than 8. I've used both for quite a while (and in beta when it was really quite poor). However, I'm not comfy being herded towards yearly licences for their software. Hence I'm sticking with outright MS purchases for as long as possible, whilst they're still supported. That means Win8, Office 2007, etc.
I've probably got about 2 years before I have to jump elsewhere - to Google or OpenOffice.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 09:25:58 pm »
I use an old Office version (2013) which is OK and works up till now. I refused the Office 365, and have looked at Open Office and may jump that way in the future.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 09:27:11 pm »
I have an 'old' Toshiba brick! It was second-hand when I inherited it about 20 odd years ago.

I keep it because my Meade scope 'needs' a 'real' serial port. It is almost impossible to get a decent serial to USB adaptor that works with the scope; one or two American ones are excellent but impossible to get here. I had newer, higher spec laptops that worked more quickly but being HP they all fried their chips cos HP don't understand conduction and convection  >:(

The mighty Tosh is slower than a slow thing on slow day and is running Windows 95; ask your granddad  ::)

But, after about 15 minutes trying to remember how it works, it is slick and reliable and 'old-school' intuitive.

A friend has a collection of computers running every version of Windows since Windows for Workgroups; ask your great-granddad! He also has the relevant Office versions. When you move through the generations things definitely get faster, cleverer and 'better' till you get to XP and Office 2000. From there on it is all downhill, too clever doing things no one wants and so complex I doubt there is a single person on earth who understands all of the stuff.

Now I'm retired I don't need most of Office and with the advent of iThingies and astronomy apps I can do most things apart from updating the s/w on the scope which only happens once every Preston Guild (which is way less often than every Blue Moon)  ::)

Brian (who wonders why 'they' let 7 year olds design everything  ??? )

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 01:27:13 pm »
I use an old Office version (2013) which is OK and works up till now. I refused the Office 365, and have looked at Open Office and may jump that way in the future.

You can get licences for Office 2016 (which is 365 by another name)
Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 06:54:10 pm »
Talking of Windows 10 and hijacking the thread very temporarily (sorry), if anyone needs a Windows 10 PC, I have one going spare, at no cost if you collect from near Banbury/Gaydon on the M40 - J11/12.

HP Touchsmart 300:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Touchsmart-300-1025uk-Touch-Enabled-Bluetooth/dp/B002R8L6P6

Its around 5-6 years old, and not particularly heavily used.

Pros:
- its an all-in-one with 20" screen
- it works
- its touchscreen
- its Windows 10 (whoop)

Cons:
- you need to supply the mouse and keyboard
- I consider it too loud to use for more than an hour, but I'm a fussy bugger. It does thrash if you run a CPU-heavy program. You can clean the fans to get the noise down a bit

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 08:14:13 pm »
Can I have first dibs?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 11:15:22 am »
Can I have first dibs?

Dibbed! No rush to collect (unless you're in a rush yourself, of course).
I'll PM you...

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 11:43:12 am »
Worst Sat Nav is a Nokia windows phone running 'HERE Drive +'
We have these as work phones and no matter if you select quickest, shortest or blend, it will still take you down the narrowest lanes rather then a main A route and if you do deviate it tries to take you back on the same route. I've travelled over 5 miles on a 25 mile journey with it telling me to turn round, before it finally gave up and accepted the main road i had taken and re-routed from taking me back to the small country lane it wanted me to go on.

Tomtom IMHO is by far the best Sat Nav out there, I've had it as an app and on their own units..

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2016, 09:58:43 pm »
Worst Sat Nav is a Nokia windows phone running 'HERE Drive +'
We have these as work phones ...

A company with a sense of humour, obviously.  ;D