Author Topic: A motorcycle  (Read 1185 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
A motorcycle
« on: April 18, 2019, 11:00:39 am »
GEORGE FITCH
Author of "At Good Old Siwash"
A  MOTORCYCLE is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment, and Is designed  for the special use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics. The  motorcycle is equipped with a motor small enough to be put in a large  pocket and loud enough to fill a coliseum comfortably. This motor is  connected with the rear wheels of the bicycle, and when it is in the  mood will revolve the wheel with tremendous speed, thus causing the  bicycle to proceed from hither and yon over buggies, pedestrians, fences  and small outbuildings.
A motorcycle is really a miniature  automobile with full sized noise, smell and dirt output. It is not  started by cranking, however, but by pedaling the whole machine along  the road until the motor emerges from its coma and gets on the job. An  automobilist can be detected by his vast overhanging shoulders and  calloused hands. A motorcyclist, however, may have arms like pipestems, but his legs are seven sizes too large for him.
A  motorcycle is not as comfortable as a camel or a lumber wagon, but it  is very swift, and there is nothing that feels more like flying than to  ride a large barytone motorcycle over the country roads at 50 miles an  hour, leaping lightly from bump to bump— except to leave the machine  when it has struck a rock and to soar swiftly through the unstable  atmosphere until some jagged section of the United States interferes  with further progress.
Motorcycles are very useful and have almost  annihilated distance and cheap clothes. They should be ridden in  costume, except by very wealthy and careless men. A pair of leather  pants with asbestos lining and a two bushel hip pocket for tools, a  padded vest, heavy gloves, a pair of goggles, and nose and shin guards  make a tasty and useful rig for the cyclist. Dressed in this fashion the  enthusiast can enjoy himself to the full as he caroms from tree to tree  and gorges himself with dust, oil and excitement.
Motorcycles are  not as fatal to pedestrians as automobiles, because they can only run  over him with two wheels. But they should be treated with respect at all  times and should not be interfered with when in a hurry.
Marvelous  records are made by intrepid mahouts who have driven large double  barreled motorcycles 90 miles on a board track, and most of the way up  the golden stairs in one hour by the clock.
Motorcycles are much  cheaper than automobiles, and there seems to be no practical remedy for  this, and the industry is unfortunately not in the hands of a trust. A  good machine can be purchased for $150. However, if the devotee does not  possess $150 he can get almost as good results by drinking a little  lubricating oil, inhaling a vacuum cleaner and setting off two bushels  of firecrackers between his legs. (Copyright, 1912, by George Matthew  Adams)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: A motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 01:09:33 pm »
Brilliant! Glad to see that not much has changed in the intervening century, bar the price  8)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: A motorcycle
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 02:29:25 pm »
Hah! Haven't heard bushels in a while!

Also asbestos ain't going anywhere near my undercarriage thank you kindly!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022