Author Topic: Diagnostic tool that works on a 1300GT ?  (Read 14979 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Diagnostic tool that works on a 1300GT ?
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2020, 07:38:05 pm »
I'll remind you of that next time Richard... 8)

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2020, 04:45:39 pm »
Just bought the UniCarScan from the link above.
They are doing a special of €49, plus cable (short or long) for an extra €20.  Shipping of €15 to Ireland.

So, hardware for €84
Plus MotoScan professional for €31.

It took all of 10 minutes to set up, bluetooth connect and start reading, resetting codes, and the service message on the K1200GT.

A very nice piece of kit, and much cheaper than a GS911  (so was able to fly under the "necessary purchasing and savings for doing my own maintenance so thereby saving money in the long run " wife's radar.)

Andym535

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2020, 06:03:25 pm »
If anyone is interested, this is my summary of the differences between the various diagnostic tools. Things they can all do (like reset service interval) are missed out.

Feature                 GS-911    MotoScan  Texa IDC5

Android Only                              *                       
PSI/BAR                    *               *                       
Tyre Temp                                  *                       
Coding all settings                       *                       
Graph Live data         *                            *         
Wiring Diagrams                                      *         
Other Makes                                            *         
Cost                       Â£Â£Â£             ££       Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£   

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2020, 07:49:26 pm »
A good purchase, corkboy!

And excellent summary, Andy.

I don't think the Motoscan can can talk to the ESA, if I remeber correctly. But since I don't have a GS911 to compare features with, it's difficult to say.
Maybe we should compare notes on that bit - once lockdown has finished.

Oh, and you can stick the Motoscan in your car, and use another app like Torque

Andym535

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2020, 08:16:47 pm »
I've got all three (don't ask why), but my German isn't up to figuring out everything that MotoScan can do. Seems to be able to code things that aren't even fitted to the bike so there's possibly some scope for making 'inappropriate' settings. With either the 16pin version or an adapter I think the GS911, like the others, can talk basic OBD2 to cars. GS911 has an ESA recalibration function; I thought you could do that with Motoscan too- I'll plug it in sometime and check.

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2020, 08:59:56 am »
I just ran through a couple of functions last night.  I paid for the "professional" level, which is €31. The next, or top, level is the "ultimate" which was €50 to buy initially, but now is €31 to upgrade to (so €62 in total rather than €50 if purchased first day).

The one issue I had when purchasing was that it was impossible to find the differences between the professional and ultimate, other than a pretty vague "service functions". These were not explained as they may differ between bikes.

Anyway,  the professional edition allows you to do service resets, and clear error codes and view live data. It doesn't allow you do to any coding, or change settings like bar to psi.  It displays them to you, but when you try to change them it tells you that you need the ultimate to do this. The Ultimate unlocks all functionality.

The ultimate allows you to cycle the ABS, and some other functionality like adjust throttle synchronisation.  There I'm getting into territory that allows me to break things, so I'm staying well away unless its already broken.

It does have the option to re calibrate the ESA, but again, ultimate edition. I must put another question up to see how necessary this is.

I don't know if I want to spend another €31 right now,  just to do the extra functions, at least I can do so in the future.